Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,847 Members 52,955 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S2 won't boot. Recovery mode not accessible.

Tip us?

marlu873
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Galaxy S2 won't boot. Recovery mode not accessible.

Hi all!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I since a week cannot start. It get stuck on the black/white samsung logo. I cannot enter recovery mode, nothing happens when releasing the power button after pressing volumeup+home+power buttons. I can however reach download mode. I'm not sure what caused this problem, one day I just couldn't start it. I read on forums that many similar problems seem to have occurred when upgrading android but I'm not sure this is the case here (unless the phone made an automatic update while I was asleep). I'm not sure what version of android I'm running, but I'm pretty sure it is at least the ICS.

I would like to hard reset my phone if possible. It seems to be easiest through the recovery mode which I cannot get into.. I read things about Odin, connecting the phone to the computer and downloading android to the phone but haven't quite grasped it. Could anyone explain this option for me or point me in the right direction? Are there other options?

I would appreciate any help, especially since my 1-year warranty expired a month ago!

Best regards,
Marcus

Adarzannh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlu873 View Post
Hi all!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I since a week cannot start. It get stuck on the black/white samsung logo. I cannot enter recovery mode, nothing happens when releasing the power button after pressing volumeup+home+power buttons. I can however reach download mode. I'm not sure what caused this problem, one day I just couldn't start it. I read on forums that many similar problems seem to have occurred when upgrading android but I'm not sure this is the case here (unless the phone made an automatic update while I was asleep). I'm not sure what version of android I'm running, but I'm pretty sure it is at least the ICS.

I would like to hard reset my phone if possible. It seems to be easiest through the recovery mode which I cannot get into.. I read things about Odin, connecting the phone to the computer and downloading android to the phone but haven't quite grasped it. Could anyone explain this option for me or point me in the right direction? Are there other options?

I would appreciate any help, especially since my 1-year warranty expired a month ago!

Best regards,
Marcus
Sounds like the symptoms of a NAND RW corruption. Try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457458
The Following User Says Thank You to Adarzannh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mananbdesai
Old
(Last edited by mananbdesai; 21st October 2012 at 02:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Hi Marcus,

I had the same problem few days back.

If it's not broken by you trying something fancy, the best solution is to take it to service centre. If you have rooted your device, had installed some custom firmware or are not willing to visit the service centre for some other reason, please read ahead.

All I did was,
Installed USB connectivity drivers through Kies.
Installed ODIN 1.83
Ensured that Kies or any of its processes are not running in background.
Downloaded the official SGS2 firmware
Flashed the firmware through ODIN.

It took around 10 minutes for the full process and I was having my mobile up and running. Using ODIN sounds scary initially if you haven't used it. I have slowly started gaining confidence in it after using it a few times.

Please note that though the process is well proven to be safe, there is still an amount of risk involved.

Sent from my GT-I9100

theunderling
Old
Thanks Meter 749

DONATE TO ME
Download a siyah kernel(like v4.0.1) .tar file and flash through odin.

See if that makes it boot/lets you into recovery.

marlu873
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adarzannh View Post
Sounds like the symptoms of a NAND RW corruption. Try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457458
I appreciate all of your answers!

Adarzannh: I tried the guide but when flashing using odin I get stuck on:
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
both when trying to flash the recovery package and the kernel. Any clues?

mananbdesai: where do I find the "official SGS2 firmware"?

theunderlining: is it enough just to flash a new kernel or do I afterwards need to flash ROM too?

HAXTREME
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Adarzannh: I tried the guide but when flashing using odin I get stuck on:
NAND Write Start!!
both when trying to flash the recovery package and the kernel. Any clues?
A couple of things..ensure KIES is not running on your computer in the background. If possible delete it completely. Also ensure your phone is connected to a USB port directly on the computer and not via a hub or to a USB port on a keyboard or something. Odin is a finicky s/w..so..
Also, try different versions. If v1.85 doesn't work try v3.4
Quote:
mananbdesai: where do I find the "official SGS2 firmware"?
Go to sammobile.com or a sticky in the Original Android Development section here..has links to all the stock firmwares.
Quote:
theunderlining: is it enough just to flash a new kernel or do I afterwards need to flash ROM too?
Lol at underlining. if you flash a custom kernel like siyah, you'll be rooted and get CWM. Using that you can install a custom ROM.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Phone: The one, the only.. Galaxy S-II i9100

theunderling
Old
(Last edited by theunderling; 23rd October 2012 at 12:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 749

DONATE TO ME
And youll be safe from the 4.0.4 brickbug if you flash siyah.

You flash a kernel for various reasons like it has emmc cap disabled,you can tweak it etc.

You can flash siyah kernel and stop there.Or you can move onto a custom rom.

Whatever,when its done-backup your efs and make a nand backup.

And yesterday I was downgrading my wifes phone onto 4.0.3.I was using odin and kept getting "failed".After 3 attempts I realised I hadnt put the phone into download mode..........how stupids that......lol

gutenmuach
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi there, just wondering, after Flashing the stock firmware through ODIN, do you lose everything in your phone? i need to get all the notes that I have in my phone (notes from the samsung stock apps). I dont have any external sd card in the phone. thanks in advance for the reply.

camel90
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default enquiry

Quote:
Hi all!

Best regards,
Marcus
Hi there sir,

Has the problem solved ? Care to share the solution ?

Thanks.

gutenmuach
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i had the same exact problem, i tried flashing with odin n stock firmware but stuck in NAND write start, i didnt try flashing with PIT & repartition though, i couldnt be bothered anymore, so i took it to samsung service plaza, they told me the problem is in the main PCB (hardware issue), so all they did was replace that n it got fixed! i didnt pay because it's still under contract/ carrier warranty