5,606,588 Members 36,148 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung S2 Broken Charger Port, Can't update software.

Tip us?

Ethanp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Samsung S2 Broken Charger Port, Can't update software.

Hello XDA.

My cousin gave me his old samsung S2, And the charger port on the phone is toast. The issue is that it's running 2.3.3. I can't download most apps as they require newer software. But there is no option on the phone to update the software via WIFI. If the port worked I could just do it through Kies, but that's out of the question. I'm wondering if I can manually update it through the stock recovery? If i put the software on an SD card. But another issue I'm running into is, I cant find anywhere on the web to download said software as it seems it was hosted mainly on HotFile which is now shut down.. I just can't wrap my head around that the only way to update this phone via Kies or Odin.

Insight would be greatly appreciated.

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1091
OK.....first and MOST important......get that USB port replaced.......
Here is a guide that will help you....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2335961
If anything goes wrong during the upgrade, you WILL need the port to be able to use Odin to recover from it.....period....
In fact if it were me, I'd be getting the port fixed BEFORE I started flashing anything......
For information, you can't update firmwares 'in phone' via the stock recovery.....you would have to be rooted and using chainfires mobile Odin to do that........
But as I said, before worrying about sourcing up to date firmwares........
GET THAT USB PORT FIXED.......

This might be my S2, or it might be my W...but it's definitely CM

Ethanp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithross39 View Post
OK.....first and MOST important......get that USB port replaced.......
Here is a guide that will help you....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2335961
If anything goes wrong during the upgrade, you WILL need the port to be able to use Odin to recover from it.....period....
In fact if it were me, I'd be getting the port fixed BEFORE I started flashing anything......
For information, you can't update firmwares 'in phone' via the stock recovery.....you would have to be rooted and using chainfires mobile Odin to do that........
But as I said, before worrying about sourcing up to date firmwares........
GET THAT USB PORT FIXED.......

Thank you for the reply. I ordered a new board this morning. I guess I will have to wait for it to come in.

keithross39
Old
(Last edited by keithross39; 4th January 2014 at 12:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1091
Good call....BTW...did you order the correct 'rev' version......see the linked guide for an explanation.....
And for the firmware, you could try www.samsung-updates.com/firmwares

Ethanp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Good call....BTW...did you order the correct 'rev' version......see the linked guide for an explanation.....
And for the firmware, you could try samsung updates.com

This is the one I ordered. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=221329490140, The attached picture is the one in my phone now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	2492569  

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1091
Looking at your picture and then looking at the listing, they both appear to be the same part....but I would advise that you take note of the rev number on the new board and make sure it matches the existing board (just to make sure) before you fit it........

Ethanp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Looking at your picture and then looking at the listing, they both appear to be the same part....but I would advise that you take note of the rev number on the new board and make sure it matches the existing board (just to make sure) before you fit it........

I will make sure I check it before I install it. I managed to get the phone rooted and installed mobile Odin. And got the firmware downloaded. But know when I go to flash it Odin says "Partition could not be found in file"?

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1091
Never come across that before.....
Did you unzip the downloaded firmware before you let mobile Odin access it? (It might be necessary to DL a different version or re DL what you already have)
Which version of mobile Odin are you using......the thread version or play store version? (if the thread version you need to DL the 'flash kernel' too)
Are you sure mobile Odin is compatible with the 'G' variant of the phone?.....

Ethanp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Never come across that before.....
Did you unzip the downloaded firmware before you let mobile Odin access it? (It might be necessary to DL a different version or re DL what you already have)
Which version of mobile Odin are you using......the thread version or play store version? (if the thread version you need to DL the 'flash kernel' too)
Are you sure mobile Odin is compatible with the 'G' variant of the phone?.....

I am using the play store version. I let Odin extract it and extracted it myself on my Mac. I can't find the place I downloaded it from now to try and re download it. It was very hard to come across it as everywhere is down since HotFile has been shut down. The link you gave me a few posts ago doesn't have the firmware available yet. This phone just doesn't want to updated lol.

keithross39
Old
(Last edited by keithross39; 4th January 2014 at 03:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1091
I went to Samsung updates and put in i9100G and this is what appeared...
http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-I9100G
Are NONE of them for your region? BTW....where are you and who is your provider?

Edit.....is it even the 'G' variant you're using.......probably got that totally wrong.......

Edit 2......think that IS wrong......
Virgin Canada is SPH D710......can you check the label under the battery and let me know?