Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,257 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soft-Brick help!

Tip us?

DNoob92
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Soft-Brick help!

Hello guys, I have (I think) soft bricked my Galaxy S2.
(Details: UK Phone, Carrier was Orange but now I am running 3 on it, official phone model Galaxy I9100T (NFC support iirc) )

Right I am curious bunny hacking away at the phone from the day I bought it, reading pages after pages on different roms and kernel and everything. Finally I settled on CyanogenMod 9 and then went straight to the CM10.1 release. Today Morning I installed the 23/02/2013 CM10.1 realease and then started browsing the XDA forums on whats new. I came across the Siyah 6.0b kernel release and saw it was compatible with cm10.1, eager and foolish I downloaded the apk without doing any further reading or any instruction, overconfident from all the flashing I have been doing for the past year, flashed the kernel via CWM recovery. Now the phone is stuck in what I assume is a boot loop (again I am pretty noobish).

So What have I tried to fix the soft brick?

I tried to go "restore" an img I had taken a week ago of the system with CWM but the phone would no longer boot into recovery.
So I went ahead and got all the recovery package (I9100TDULP9_I9100THUTLP7_HUT) to reflash my phone with Odin 3.07.

This is where I hit a brick wall and now I am truly lost at what to do, my computer doesn't recognise the phone (Download Mode). I keep getting "there is a problem with this device" error and the Device manager shows an unknown device connected. So I installed the Samsung drivers from the samsung website with no luck. Still getting unknown device error. So I googled for a solution and the only solution that came up was reformat my PC since it could be a problem within the OS, so I went forward and used two other PC and still getting the error. Please Help SOS.

tl;dr: Getting Device not recognised error when I connect phone to the computer via USB cable.

Thanks in advance to all the knights to my rescue :P

crocodilechris
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNoob92 View Post
I came across the Siyah 6.0b kernel release and saw it was compatible with cm10.1, eager and foolish I downloaded the apk without doing any further reading or any instruction, overconfident from all the flashing I have been doing for the past year, flashed the kernel via CWM recovery. Now the phone is stuck in what I assume is a boot loop (again I am pretty noobish).

So What have I tried to fix the soft brick?
Just go to recovery menu (VOLUP+MENU+POWER) and wipe cache and wipe dalvik. That should fix it.

DNoob92
Old
(Last edited by DNoob92; 25th February 2013 at 12:13 AM.) Reason: More INFO
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy surplus mplieac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodilechris View Post
Just go to recovery menu (VOLUP+MENU+POWER) and wipe cache and wipe dalvik. That should fix it.

I cannot enter Recovery Mode, the screen just goes blank

EDIT: So the only thing that works atm is
1) The battery charge animation (huge green battery in the middle of the screen) when plugged in.
2) Download/Odin mode (which 3 computer refuse to recognise when connected via a USB cable)

EDIT2: The other thing I forgot to mention was, that I have lost the original SII micro USB cable which was black and now I am using the white micro USB cable I received with my Galaxy Note 2.

Porkchops
Old
Thanks Meter 5
You could try uninstalling all Samsung-related drivers/software (Ie: Kies), download the Android Naked Driver or the Android ADB Driver (I wish I could recall where I got it from, but it also came with the driver for the Galaxy SII... Sounds like it might be more of a driver issue than it would be a cable issue..

gastonw
Old
Thanks Meter 1,766
Borrow and S2 cable.
There are a lot of guys having issues with note's cable.

Try a laptop, and install kies on any other pc you try.

Flash siyah v5 instead of flashing v6.
OMG!!! Just realized I've got an SII Plus! oh...wait...I've got more Internal Space, nevermind, still got an SII.

The Following User Says Thank You to gastonw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 212
You can relax, if the only thing you did is flash a kernel then there is nothing wrong with your phone.

Try different cables, try Odin 1.85 (that one always worked for me), try different pc's, reinstall drivers, make sure no kies process is running in the background.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v3.0

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lennyz1988 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DNoob92
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
First of all thanks for the replies

I couldn't get the drivers working still (after re-installing, installing kies). But while eating lunch I remembered reading about removing battery and pressing the Power button and it doing something I couldn't quite remember. So I thought to myself it wouldn't hurt trying. Did that and the phone Finally booted in recovery mode, I took a breather of relief and than located my previous backup img and restored the phone.

But now a new problem arose, the phone went into SIM lock as soon as it booted and now I guess I have to fix that

Well thanks guys

DNoob92
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quick question guys is SIM network unlock pin basically same unlocking phone form a carrier?

gastonw
Old
Thanks Meter 1,766
Default Re: [Q] Soft-Brick help!

It's asking for a SIM pin or network code?

Get galaxysim unlock by searching xda (free here, paid at play store).

Sent from the little guy
OMG!!! Just realized I've got an SII Plus! oh...wait...I've got more Internal Space, nevermind, still got an SII.