[SOLVED] Firmware upgrade encountered an issue.

Search This thread

ratzz

Sep 19, 2006
Preston
Hi All,

Ok, here is my problem.

I cannot update my SGS2 and I'm stuck in a problem I can't seem to do anything about.

I (foolishly) downloaded a JB ROM and attempted to install it, but it failed. Since then I have been getting the error:

"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

These are my details:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 2 - UK on Three Network
PC: Windows 7

This is what I have done.

I have tried to connect my phone to Kies, but it will not connect - no matter how many times I try to re-install the driver.
I have downloaded maybe 6 or 7 ROMS that apparently would work in an attempt to "downgrade" to Ice Cream Sandwich. Everytime I try to install using Odin, I get the "FAIL!" message after "NAND Write Start!!" (using the reset to download ROMS on my phone).

I am lost as to what to do, and Odin will not allow any ROM I try to write.

Can anyone please help me? My Nokia N95 is just not up to the job!

Many thanks in advance,
Simon

Last edited:
Reactions: necrius

Jetmantrunks

Feb 27, 2012
you need to flash a new rom using odin.
just download any rom that can be flashed through odin and read the instructions on any of the many threads on it

ratzz

Sep 19, 2006
Preston
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1457458

Please read all instructions carefully before attempting anything! :)

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II

Ok, I've gone over and over this - there doesn't appear to be a .PIT file in any of the downloads, so I can't complete some of the steps mentioned.

Here is a selection of ODIN's responses:

<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> boot.bin

<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9100GXXLB1_I9100GATOKL1_I9100GXXKL4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 1828)

I have a feeling I have now totally screwed everything up and there is no-way back.

Can anyone else help me from this nightmare?

Many thanks
Simon

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Can you still get into download mode (power..vol down..home key combo)?...if you can, all is not lost...
As for Odin.....
1) Make sure Kies is NOT running....use laptops task manager to kill it lf it is
2) disable any firewalls
3) open Odin as an administrator
4) use the usb cable that came with your phone....don't rely on just one usb port...try them all...
5) put your phone in download mode and connect to laptop via usb....
6) wait for com box in odin screen to change colour and begin (following any/all instructions given TO THE LETTER)
7) leave the option to repartition WELL ALONE

.....And.....

8)......DO NOT play with .pit files unless you have ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER CHOICE.....

Sent from my Rooted, De bloated Stock JB powered S2 via PhilZ kernel and Tapatalk 2....

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
No problems fella.....let us know how you get on...... good luck.. :)

Sent from my Rooted, De bloated Stock JB powered S2 via PhilZ kernel and Tapatalk 2....

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Also...take a look at this thread...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1449771
It might well be able to help if you are still having no success after retrying the above steps.....

Edit....ahh, I see that immortalneo has already beaten me to it with the link..... :)

Reactions: immortalneo

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Btw.....if it's any use, I've copied my copy of 3 UK's branded 4.0.3 ICS firmware up to dropbox
LINK REMOVED
Feel free to download it if you need it. I've used it on both my and my wifes S2's without issue.....

Last edited:
Reactions: gastonw and ratzz

ratzz

Sep 19, 2006
Preston
Btw.....if it's any use, I've copied my copy of 3 UK's branded 4.0.3 ICS firmware up to dropbox.....
http://db.tt/iEoOLHaT
Feel free to download it if you need it. I've used it on both my and my wifes S2's without issue.....

Fantastic - thanks Keith ... I'll let you know!

Reactions: keithross39

ratzz

Sep 19, 2006
Preston
AGGGHHH!

Ok, followed all your advice Keith, and it got further than ever before, but failed at the boot.bin process (see below)

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9100XWLPI_I9100H3GLP4_I9100NELP4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> zImage
<ID:0/005> boot.bin

I feel we may be getting somewhere, but not sure what to do next!

Any ideas?

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
One more thing......maybe....
Can yiu still get into recovery (CWM)
If you can, try wiping cache, dalvic and data before going into download mode to odin flash the firmware....alternatively try flashing a custom rom through cwm then using Mobile Odin to flash the firmware.....otherwise I'm outta ideas....sorry fella....

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Edit......
This next idea is untested and entirely hypothetical.
As a starting point, you need a working rooted kernel. From what you said in your OP, I *think* you're running JB (sort of).......

SOMEBODY PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THE FOLLOWING IS WRONG.........

1) download an odin flashable JB compatiable PhilZ modified stock kernel with CWM and flash in Odin
2) download any recent CM10.1 cusROM + GApps
3) use the newly installed CWM to flash the cusROM & GApps
4) wipe cache, dalvic and data and reboot.....hopefully with success........

Don't try this until someone else has commented as to the sanity of this idea........

Reactions: ratzz

ratzz

Sep 19, 2006
Preston
One more thing......maybe....
Can yiu still get into recovery (CWM)
If you can, try wiping cache, dalvic and data before going into download mode to odin flash the firmware....alternatively try flashing a custom rom through cwm then using Mobile Odin to flash the firmware.....otherwise I'm outta ideas....sorry fella....

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Edit......
This next idea is untested and entirely hypothetical.
As a starting point, you need a working rooted kernel. From what you said in your OP, I *think* you're running JB (sort of).......

SOMEBODY PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THE FOLLOWING IS WRONG.........

1) download an odin flashable JB compatiable PhilZ modified stock kernel with CWM and flash in Odin
2) download any recent CM10.1 cusROM + GApps
3) use the newly installed CWM to flash the cusROM & GApps
4) wipe cache, dalvic and data and reboot.....hopefully with success........

Don't try this until someone else has commented as to the sanity of this idea........

Thanks Keith ... I appreciate you having spent time on this...

The only option I have is with Odin as I cannot get into any recovery mode. I also do/did not have CWM installed on the phone.

I can also get to the "Firmware upgrade encontered an issue ...." message on boot, but I cannot connect my phone to Kies. It just wont recognise it (I did uninstall it anyway!).

It *starts* to flash, as when I look on the screen, the progress bar starts to move, but after a very short time it then "FAILS!"...

I will hang fire until someone looks into your other idea before trying anything else.

EDIT: It was a JB ROM that seems to have gone wrong, but it never actually ran so now trying to downgrade - even tried Gingerbread ROM which failed too.

Also just thought I'd mention that the "CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOADS:" now shows "YES (11 counts)" which has gone up... Don't know if that is significant, or helpful!

Last edited:

ratzz

Sep 19, 2006
Preston
Just a quick question before I dash out...

Do I need to have my SIM installed when I flash? I have it in another phone at the moment as its my work number, but have not even thought I might need it in...

gastonw

Dec 19, 2012
Go pay a friend a visit, ask him/her to use their computer (Windows), get 3 samsung cables fron where ever, download 3 different odin versions, install latest kies, reboot, kill all 4 kies applications. Do the odin thing.

Just to make sure, get a couple of Custom into a flash drive, along with siyah v5 and v6 from Gokhnanmoral.com (I9100 right?).
Flash only code, phone and csc.
Forget about the existance of pit files for now.

Sent from the little guy

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Gastonw....can you comment on my "hypothetical idea" comment? Does it have ANY merit?
Is there even a *possibility* it could help?

Reactions: ratzz and gastonw

gastonw

Dec 19, 2012
Keith, the man who got a Ph.D in Mobile Odin via xda ;)

I always read your posts on workarounds and step-by-step guides, you truely are into android, keep it up.

I actually overlooked what you just posted because I was thinking on suggesting the same thing with a different kernel, so yeah, what you are suggesting can work, because it did in the ICS era.
Whenever you get stucked at nand you could flash a custom kernel (.tar) so it'll allow you to get to CWM. Once you get there, you can flash whatever you want.

I mentioned siyah in case he was on ICS ( siyah v5 ) or on jb ( siyag v6), Philz indeed is a better option for all jb related ROM.

Sent from the little guy

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Lol....thanks for your vote of confidence Gastonw....it's been a steep learning curve.....got my first smartphone 15 months ago, didn't start modifying it until 9 months ago....and since then I've modded 2 other phones (3 in total) and a Tab.......if you find something interesting, learning becomes enjoyment....but I'm still far far away from PhD level....lol

gastonw

Dec 19, 2012
Lol....thanks for your vote of confidence Gastonw....it's been a steep learning curve.....got my first smartphone 15 months ago, didn't start modifying it until 9 months ago....and since then I've modded 2 other phones (3 in total) and a Tab.......if you find something interesting, learning becomes enjoyment....but I'm still far far away from PhD level....lol

Sounded cool, didn't it? ;)

Sent from the little guy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Simon, this is how it's gonna go down:

1) Pour a beer.
    2) Install later Kies.
    3) Kill al kies applications (all 4 of them).
    4) Start drinking that beer.
    5) disable antivirus or whatever you got there.
    6) Get to Download Mode and push Vol Up.
    7) Open Odin.
    8) Plug the device to your laptop.

Does it see the device?

If NO:

A) Get another usb cable, are you using I9100's?
    B) Try different Odin Versions (download 3 or 4).
    C) Try another USB port.
    D) Still no luck? reboot the pc and start from step 3.

If YES:

Flash this (I assume you are reading this before you try any of the above, so I suggest you start downloading the zip file before you pour that beer).

You're gonna flash only three files here:

PDA: XXLSJ
    PHONE:XXLS6
    CSC:XXLS1

Flash should be a success and you get to be up and running.
    Can you still get into download mode (power..vol down..home key combo)?...if you can, all is not lost...
    As for Odin.....
    1) Make sure Kies is NOT running....use laptops task manager to kill it lf it is
    2) disable any firewalls
    3) open Odin as an administrator
    4) use the usb cable that came with your phone....don't rely on just one usb port...try them all...
    5) put your phone in download mode and connect to laptop via usb....
    6) wait for com box in odin screen to change colour and begin (following any/all instructions given TO THE LETTER)
    7) leave the option to repartition WELL ALONE

.....And.....

8)......DO NOT play with .pit files unless you have ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER CHOICE.....

Guys ... I want to thank-you for your input ans patience with this idiot.

Rest assured, BEFORE I attempt anything else, I will read the relevant threads and talk to you all first!

Thanks again chaps, and to Keith who followed this from the start - thanks buddy...
    Go pay a friend a visit, ask him/her to use their computer (Windows), get 3 samsung cables fron where ever, download 3 different odin versions, install latest kies, reboot, kill all 4 kies applications. Do the odin thing.

Just to make sure, get a couple of Custom into a flash drive, along with siyah v5 and v6 from Gokhnanmoral.com (I9100 right?).
    Flash only code, phone and csc.
    Forget about the existance of pit files for now.

Sent from the little guy
    Btw.....if it's any use, I've copied my copy of 3 UK's branded 4.0.3 ICS firmware up to dropbox
    LINK REMOVED