5,604,507 Members 46,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will a stock EUR ROM work on Australian S2?

Tip us?

heywheelie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default [Q] Will a stock EUR ROM work on Australian S2?

I've read several threads in xda about a Galaxy S2 from Australia working in Europe and vice versa however I haven't seen any mention of whether a stock firmware for the S2 designed for Europe will work on my Australian Galaxy S2.

Can someone clarify that for me please? I don't want to go flashing European firmware and finding GPS, FM Radio etc don't work, can't make phone calls and texts.

cheers

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3037
Of course. The only thing you might have to muck around with is the modem.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!

heywheelie
Old
(Last edited by heywheelie; 12th December 2013 at 04:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Of course. The only thing you might have to muck around with is the modem.
Unfortunately that's not something I'm comfortable doing. Flashing kernels and ROMs I have done but never a modem. Maybe I just better stay with what I have and do without the multi-window function that comes with that ROM.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3037
Same as flashing roms/kernels, single file, phone section of Odin. Most modem packages on here are CWM flashable which means you need root, though if you dig around you might be able to find Odin flashable modems. You can also download stock roms for your carrier & extract the modem.bin files from those & flash with Odin (rationale being you'd expect modems bundled with stock roms released by your carrier to give you good connectivity on their network in most locations most of the time).

Besides, this assumes you have connectivity issues with the modem that's bundled with the European rom you flash. It might work just fine. You're only going to know if you flash the rom & test/find out.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

heywheelie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
I currently have the stock rom for Australia XWLSH (unbranded) on my phone. It's rooted using PhilZ kernel. I've very happy with it as it is but would like the multi-window function while still staying with a totally stock ROM. The only way to do that is to use a stock deodexed ROM and the only one of those around here is the XXLSJ which is a european stock S2 ROM.

I can easily extract the modem.bin file from my backup image I got from sammobile but I was hoping I might be able to just flash the XXLSJ deodexed ROM and all would be fine (It is prerooted with PhilZ kernel).

from the little I have read about modem flashing so far suggests i might have to also flash a matching ril which further complicates things.

My USB port works fine, connects to my PC fine, i just prefer flashing to using Odin from my PC.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3037
I wouldn't do anything with RIL's except as a last resort; I.E your connectivity is ****e/non-existent & you've tried the several dozen different modems that are available to no effect. Forget about RIL's until/unless you get to this point (highly unlikely).

If you're planning to run the European stock rom rooted, forget about flashing modems with Odin, every modem that's ever been released is available in a CWM flashable. Quicker/easier than Odin flashing them if you have to try a bunch because your connectivity is borked.

But...And I've already said this, you might find your connectivity is just fine as is after you flash that other stock rom. So try it & see.
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

heywheelie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
I wouldn't do anything with RIL's except as a last resort; I.E your connectivity is ****e/non-existent & you've tried the several dozen different modems that are available to no effect. Forget about RIL's until/unless you get to this point (highly unlikely).

If you're planning to run the European stock rom rooted, forget about flashing modems with Odin, every modem that's ever been released is available in a CWM flashable. Quicker/easier than Odin flashing them if you have to try a bunch because your connectivity is borked.

But...And I've already said this, you might find your connectivity is just fine as is after you flash that other stock rom. So try it & see.
Good point and no doubt I can always go back to the nandroid backup of my working stock australian ROM if it doesn't.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to heywheelie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]