Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help! Phone won't move past 'Samsung' black screen. What do?

Tip us?

Leeham93
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help! Phone won't move past 'Samsung' black screen. What do?

My phone won't go passed the 'Samsung' black screen. I have tried flashing a stock rom with Odin. I have tried using emergency recovery in KIES but the phone is not being picked up by it. I flashed and rooted the phone to unlock the SIM yesterday and everything was fine until I hard reset it (instead of factory resetting it by accident) because I plan to sell it to a friend on a different network.

I've been at this for nearly 20 hours now following numerous different tutorials and I have no idea what to do now. I am new to this kind of thing but I think I'm definitely out of my depth here. I can still get the phone into download mode so I know it's salvageable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General, 3 part firmware linked to in thread, download, flash with Odin (this will wipe your phone). Failure to flash ? Go through the troubleshooting steps in the thread over & over & over (if necessary; all of them, including multiple PC's, if you don't fix it with the info in that thread, you won't be fixing it).

There's no easy fix here; if it's recoverable (and most of these are), they're fixed with perseverance. Those which aren't recoverable are NAND corrupted & require a motherboard replacement to fix.

Edit - Also, I presume we're talking about an I9100 ? If you have any other model, do not flash that 3 part firmware I referred to above, you will brick your phone if you have another device & you flash it.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

Leeham93
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General, 3 part firmware linked to in thread, download, flash with Odin (this will wipe your phone). Failure to flash ? Go through the troubleshooting steps in the thread over & over & over (if necessary; all of them, including multiple PC's, if you don't fix it with the info in that thread, you won't be fixing it).

There's no easy fix here; if it's recoverable (and most of these are), they're fixed with perseverance. Those which aren't recoverable are NAND corrupted & require a motherboard replacement to fix.

Edit - Also, I presume we're talking about an I9100 ? If you have any other model, do not flash that 3 part firmware I referred to above, you will brick your phone if you have another device & you flash it.
Wow, thank you for such a quick response! Yes it is an I9100. I should have been clearer. I'll give that a shot before I try anything else then. Thanks again.