Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Strange problem with internal memory filling up without reason.

OP Hvilsted

29th January 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41

255 posts
My mate has a I9100. All firmware is latest Nordic stock, it has never been rootet, never flashed with any firmware or anything.

The available internal memory of the device gets slowly filled up without reason. We don't know why, but we expect it to have something to do with charging. Every night he charges the device and every morning there's a little less internal memory available.

The other night my friend set it to charge, and when he disabled the charger, only 75 MB of internal memory remained. He has no where near that amount of apps installed to only leave such a small amount of available memory.

This has happened about four times before, and every time a factory reset is needed.

Have any of you heard about this bug before, and do any of you know how to remedy this issue?

I'm thinking about doing a full factory reset and install latest Nordic stock ROM via Odin but I'm open for suggestions.

Regards,
Hvilsted

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4
29th January 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

81 posts
Type *#9900# in dialer and delete the logcat file.... see whether it help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
29th January 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41

255 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.liu

Type *#9900# in dialer and delete the logcat file.... see whether it help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

I will do that. You think that file could take up several hundred megabytes?
29th January 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 301

941 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvilsted

My mate has a I9100. All firmware is latest Nordic stock, it has never been rootet, never flashed with any firmware or anything.

The available internal memory of the device gets slowly filled up without reason. We don't know why, but we expect it to have something to do with charging. Every night he charges the device and every morning there's a little less internal memory available.

The other night my friend set it to charge, and when he disabled the charger, only 75 MB of internal memory remained. He has no where near that amount of apps installed to only leave such a small amount of available memory.

This has happened about four times before, and every time a factory reset is needed.

Have any of you heard about this bug before, and do any of you know how to remedy this issue?

I'm thinking about doing a full factory reset and install latest Nordic stock ROM via Odin but I'm open for suggestions.

Regards,
Hvilsted

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

i dont think its related to charging he must be having an app which may be increasing storage by saving logs ,some temperory file high amounts of cache memory sort of etc,or loads of apps installed may increase app data + cache to a huge extent for example whatsapp is only about 13 MB but after using it for some months it is now 50MB!...BY THE WAY how much memory is eateN?factory reset and reflashing may help ...does his phone have virus?
2nd February 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #5  
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 8

45 posts
More
Unhappy
I have the same problem!

I've already made factory reset, and also deleted some useless files in the "log" (about 500 files of 50kb each)... but the problem remains. I checked in my computer and in the internal memory of my phone there's 0kb available!! How and why is this happening? There's always a message that says "Full internal memory".

I've searched in this forum if there's something similar to a factory reset for root users that let the internal memory as the default usage... I mean, there are a lot of internal folders of apps that were already deleted last year and I don't know why are they still in the internal memory...

I hope someone have some answers and I already thanks everyone for reading this!
16th April 2014, 09:25 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Memory filling up on S ll
Hi,
I am not on this forum often but I found a way to regain memory and get rid of the 'Storage space running out' if this helps.
Right click on the storage space item on the taskbar and select 'App info' then when the android media app details open -force close (I ignore warning about knock on effects.
Even if you didn't get the 'storage space running out' but your internal storage is showing as just a few Mb's - open FX file explorer and make sure that - 'show hidden files' is shown.
Open Main storage and open each folder in turn. Scroll down and look for 'Nomedia' file and delete from any folder that contains it.
Do the same with Media card and sometimes in System folder as well ( although most are 'access denied' on non rooted phone)
I read that the Nomedia file is incompatible with some of the later rom updates. Restart your phone and check your internal storage - hopefully you will see that the memory is restored. But this works for me. Repeat this as necessary.

Best regards and I hope this helps.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread