[Q] Stuck at Samsung splash screen - Need to backup data

Search This thread

dinho10r

Mar 27, 2014
The phone was working fine until the battery was empty. I tried to charge it and turn it on, but it's stuck at the Samsung logo splash screen. Holding the power button only restarts the device, so to turn it off I'll have to take the battery out. I don't know how to fix this, and if a factory reset is the only option, I need to backup my data first which I currently don't know how to either (without accessing the OS).

I've got to the Android System Recovery 3e menu and tried clearing cache, which did not help. The option to do a factory reset is also there, but I need to backup my data first, and I don't even know if this will fix the problem.

I'm also able to enter download mode.

When connected to my PC it detects an unknown device named 'samsung_android", and it shows up in adb. I've tried doing a backup through adb, but it wanted me to unlock the screen to accept the backup, which I could not, because I'm stuck at the splash screen.

Is there anything I can do to save my data? Anything through adb? Install root (never done this before)?

Last edited:

cglegion

Mar 27, 2014
steamcommunity.com
The phone was working fine until the battery was empty. I tried to charge it and turn it on, but it's stuck at the Samsung logo splash screen. Holding the power button only restarts the device, so to turn it off I'll have to take the battery out. I don't know how to fix this, and if a factory reset is the only option, I need to backup my data first which I currently don't know how to either (without accessing the OS).

I've got to the Android System Recovery 3e menu and tried clearing cache, which did not help. The option to do a factory reset is also there, but I need to backup my data first, and I don't even know if this will fix the problem.

I'm also able to enter download mode.

When connected to my PC it detects an unknown device named 'samsung_android", and it shows up in adb. I've tried doing a backup through adb, but it wanted me to unlock the screen to accept the backup, which I could not, because I'm stuck at the splash screen.

Is there anything I can do to save my data? Anything through adb? Install root (never done this before)?

Hey mate, can you get into the recovery mode? Try flashing the TWRP recovery and boot by pressing power button + home button + volume up and find an option to mount your USB storage via USB cable and see if your phone's folder tree is available from the Windows Explorer and hopefully you can backup your data by then. Just make sure you have all the drivers ready.

Hope that helps.

dinho10r

Mar 27, 2014
Hey mate, can you get into the recovery mode? Try flashing the TWRP recovery and boot by pressing power button + home button + volume up and find an option to mount your USB storage via USB cable and see if your phone's folder tree is available from the Windows Explorer and hopefully you can backup your data by then. Just make sure you have all the drivers ready.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I can get into recovery mode. But how do I get the TWRP to my phone? Do I have to put it on my external memory card and then load it from there?

And I could only find it for a S2 Exhilarate SGH-i577 device. Does it matter if my phone is a S2 GT-I9100?

I've never rooted my phone earlier. Is a root necessary to flash a ROM?

cglegion

Mar 27, 2014
steamcommunity.com
Yeah, I can get into recovery mode. But how do I get the TWRP to my phone? Do I have to put it on my external memory card and then load it from there?

And I could only find it for a S2 Exhilarate SGH-i577 device. Does it matter if my phone is a S2 GT-I9100?

I've never rooted my phone earlier. Is a root necessary to flash a ROM?

Correct. Put the TWRP zip on your external and flash it normally via recovery mode such as CWM not the android 3e recovery. Or find an odin flashable zip for yoyr device.

I am very sure there is one for I9100 because I ran into the exact same problem before and managed to figure it out. You just have to search for it can't give you a link because I'm on mobile now.

You need to root your phone in order to install a new recovery such as TWRP/CWM or even flash new kernel and ROM.

Good luck.