Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

To ALL 4.2.2 users using bundled kernel (AOKP, AOSP, CM10.1,PA): corrupted partitions

OP nopainwithme

20th February 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12

33 posts
Hi, if you are using a 4.2.2 rom:
from CWM recovery, check your partitions for corrupted filesystem using the e2fsck utility (information here http://www.openfsg.com/index.php/Usi...e_System_Check) from adb shell.
Command is:

adb shell e2fsck -n -f -v /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 (to check /system)
adb shell e2fsck -n -f -v /dev/block/mmcblk0p10 (to check /data)

If you start to see an endless flowing river of words, wait for it to end (it might take minutes) and then read:
I'm getting lots of multiply-claimed blocks, blocks shared among two or more files, after a CLEAN installation of many Rootbox 4.2.2 versions (i tried latest official and sabermod, Nico's 60), and Resurrection Remix 4.2.2
Steps to reproduce the problem: clean install latest Rootbox/Resurrection Remix, configure a bit the rom, play with it, INSTALL some apps from playstore, update some system apps. Then, REBOOT the phone. Play with it again if you wish and eventually go to recovery.
Even if you switched to another kernel (like Dorimanx) at some point, do the check as you might have problems (unless you have flashed the kernel right after the rom, without rebooting)
I'm just a simple user but i think the problem is related to default CM10.1 kernel ((usually CWM 6.0.3.x)

Possible (common) big problem related to corrupted filesystem: phone stuck at boot/kernel logo sooner or later, after a simple switch off or reboot.
Other problems: app errors

I'm not getting those errors with clean install of KitKat 4.4.2 roms.
Please, tell me if this is a wide-spread bug, and if you can, try to reproduce yourself the steps.
The Following User Says Thank You to nopainwithme For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12

33 posts
an update: after reading here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2508447
i tried some steps:
installed a KitKat compatible kernel CWM 6.0.4.7, rebooted to its recovery, wiped everything from there and then flashed Rootbox, gapps and Dorimanx kernel. Played with the phone, rebooted a few times, installed apps ecc... then went to recovery and used the e2fsck command.
No error neither on /data nor on /system partition.
I suppose there might be a problem with old CWM versions' wipe command, don't know if custom kernels are affected too

anyone else can confirm? I remember Dorimanx talking about problems of corrupted partitions in his thread
Last edited by nopainwithme; 21st February 2014 at 12:14 PM.
21st February 2014, 01:40 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Some Where North!
Thanks Meter: 66,800

9,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopainwithme

an update: after reading here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2508447
i tried some steps:
installed a KitKat compatible kernel CWM 6.0.4.7, rebooted to its recovery, wiped everything from there and then flashed Rootbox, gapps and Dorimanx kernel. Played with the phone, rebooted a few times, installed apps ecc... then went to recovery and used the e2fsck command.
No error neither on /data nor on /system partition.
I suppose there might be a problem with old CWM versions' wipe command, don't know if custom kernels are affected too

anyone else can confirm? I remember Dorimanx talking about problems of corrupted partitions in his thread

I am not sure what can make the multiple block holdings as this is the main error.

90% of it is in /data/dalvik_cache folder!
so i guess it's some kind of ROM code for dalvik generation that write files with some strange block links to other files...

and when you run fsck you see that it's doing the block separation most of the time.

you can also test this, before you about to run the check and fix, wipe dalvik cache!

do

sync;

then wait for 30sec for all dirty memory to be written to disk.
and check,

you will see that it's a lot less mess now...

with KitKat source there was major rework for dalvik ROM code, so i guess it's better than was before and not mess the file system when generating dalvik for all app! /system and /data/app/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread