Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

[Q] Tough Problem: No Home button, can't boot to recovery..

OP tpsnjs

8th March 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
Hi

I was given an IS1900 on which the Home button is not functioning.

I rooted it, used Odin to install CWM-KitKatCompatible-i9100 which I suspect killed the old Gingerbread that was on it.

Now I can't get it to boot into recovery.

ADB recognizes the device, but it says it's Unauthorised so can't boot it through ADB.

Odin doesn't see it.

So I'm a bit stuck really and guess it's a throw away.

100% my fault because I should have downloaded CM11 onto the SD card at the start!

Any rate, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you, Tim
8th March 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3,206

7,088 posts
Same as everyone else in this situation, fix the the home button. OK. You seem to be able to get into download mode, even if phone & PC can't recognise each other. Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General has all the info you need to get a successful stock flash.

And then get the home button fixed if you intend to actually use the phone, even more so if you intend to mod it in any way. Running a modded phone without a vital piece of hardware working (for no fuss recovery purposes) is a lunacy.

Edit to add - A question also arose whilst I was eating lunch; without a home button, how did you get into download mode to have Odin not work - a jig I presume ?

Further edit - And yet another question; do you have an I9100 (I.E a Galaxy S2) or an I9000 (I.E a Galaxy S) ? If it's the latter, you're in the wrong forum.
Last edited by MistahBungle; 8th March 2014 at 06:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 06:34 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle

Same as everyone else in this situation, fix the the home button. OK. You seem to be able to get into download mode, even if phone & PC can't recognise each other. Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General has all the info you need to get a successful stock flash.

And then get the home button fixed if you intend to actually use the phone, even more so if you intend to mod it in any way. Running a modded phone without a vital piece of hardware working (for no fuss recovery purposes) is a lunacy.

Edit to add - A question also arose whilst I was eating lunch; without a home button, how did you get into download mode to have Odin not work - a jig I presume ?

Further edit - And yet another question; do you have an I9100 (I.E a Galaxy S2) or an I9000 (I.E a Galaxy S) ? If it's the latter, you're in the wrong forum.

Thanks Mr B. I got into download mode by holding Power and Volume down. Mind you this was after a couple of hours of playing around with it and not exactly sure how it happened!

It is a Galaxy S II (I9100) - I thought how strange to have I and 1 together but I guess I is International.

OK - I'm off to Hopper8.

Regards

Tim
8th March 2014, 07:17 AM   |  #4  

7,088 posts
OK. Yep, Hopper's thread has all the info in one place, should get you back to scratch.
8th March 2014, 08:31 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle

OK. Yep, Hopper's thread has all the info in one place, should get you back to scratch.

Thanks Mr B - Perfect solution.

I guess I got that first download mode by chance using the following from Hopper8 "Take out the phone battery, and re-insert it, but donít turn the phone on. Now, plug in the charger while holding the volume down button. Keep holding volume down till you enter download mode."

Now got 4.1.2 running.

Now to get Kitkat going....

I was thinking while drying the dishes - There are 1000's of posts about the S 11 on XDA, but you pointed me to the exact one I needed.

Also one must approach this rooting business in a suitable frame of mind as described in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Thanks again.

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to tpsnjs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #6  

7,088 posts
No worries. Ahhhh, OK. Yep that little 'pull the battery out' method is very handy to know in cases like yours. Good thing you found it yourself sooner rather than later saving you hours of pulling your hair out (and reading goodness knows how many threads).

Hopper's thread is probably the best in any of the S2 forums, because it covers 'recovery' (as in you have no access to recovery mode & only have access to download mode) from pretty much every angle; if your phone is recoverable easily, you'll do it with the info in that thread.

Happy to have helped Tim. Your comment about the 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' gave me a good chuckle Enjoy the rest of your weekend with your now working phone
8th March 2014, 12:17 PM   |  #7  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 1,207

1,995 posts
More
At last.......we got someone who's prepared to listen to good advice.....lol

Sent from my Infected KitKat bar.....
9th March 2014, 10:04 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Thanks again.

I now have Kitkat 4.4 running on this phone and it's impressive.

The Home button issue, well I can put up with that - use the Button app, and the TWRP Manager app.

Compared to my trusty HTC Desire HD (over 3.5 years old) which is running 4.2, this S 2 is noticeably fast.

The photos are blurry caused by a badly scratched cover, so I got the cc out and bought one for $US1.60 which includes shipping from HK to NZ - don't know how that can be done!.

Regards

Tim

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
booting problem, home button issue
Previous Thread Next Thread