5,606,151 Members 36,949 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trouble restoring data backed up with Titanium Backup

Tip us?

rahimali
Old
(Last edited by rahimali; 27th December 2013 at 11:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Question [Q] Trouble restoring data backed up with Titanium Backup

Hello, I was handed an i9100 with stock Samsung GB on it and requested to migrate it to cm10.x. I backed up accounts, bt pairings, bookmarks, call logs, messages, and wifi access points with Titanium Backup 6.1.4.3, then flashed dorimax kernel and then cm 10.1.3 stable. now i'm trying to restore all data backed up prior and unfortunately find i'm unable to do so...

I've tried with "migrate system data" both enabled and disabled in TiBU preferences, i've tried restoring the normal android way and file way but it's not working

Is there any chance of success here or will i have to go back to stock gb, try restore all data, backup using another app and then flash cm 10.1.3 again? very lengthy procedure hence i'm reluctant to proceed with this route...
Sony Xperia Mini (ST15i), bootloader unlocked via test point method, CM10/FXP Xtended by M66B (Marcel Bokhorst) with camera fix and Camera ZOOM FX

MistahBungle
Old
(Last edited by MistahBungle; 27th December 2013 at 11:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3039
System data restore is a big no-no from one Android version to another. User apps & data only (and even then some data might not play nice for various reasons). Don't forget, you're making a huge leap going from GB to CM10, a lot changed (in Android).

Edit - Call logs/msgs are easy enough to backup/restore though; use the backup/restore to/from XML in Ti. The other stuff you'll need to setup manually (BT & WiFi stuff). Accounts you should be able to restore the normal way (Google, Samsung, Firefox, whatever). No need to use Ti.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!

rahimali
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
System data restore is a big no-no from one Android version to another. User apps & data only (and even then some data might not play nice for various reasons). Don't forget, you're making a huge leap going from GB to CM10, a lot changed (in Android).

Edit - Call logs/msgs are easy enough to backup/restore though; use the backup/restore to/from XML in Ti. The other stuff you'll need to setup manually (BT & WiFi stuff). Accounts you should be able to restore the normal way (Google, Samsung, Firefox, whatever). No need to use Ti.
i was just able to restore accounts from the titanium backup created earlier, involved pasting accounts.db file into data/system/users/0 folder.

unfortunately, the phone owner's contacts weren't being sync'd with the google account so i think i'm in hot water there

i might also be able to restore wifi, bt etc. as they only involve pasting files from titanium backup into the appropriate folder but contacts and messages seems to be a huge problem for me
Sony Xperia Mini (ST15i), bootloader unlocked via test point method, CM10/FXP Xtended by M66B (Marcel Bokhorst) with camera fix and Camera ZOOM FX
Tags
i9100, restore, tibu, titanium backup, xml