Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 52,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrading from CM 10.1.3 to 11 M6 without loosing any data

Tip us?

SgtDubKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Upgrading from CM 10.1.3 to 11 M6 without loosing any data

Hi everyone,

I hope this question hasn't been asked before, but I used the search and got no results for it so I'm gonna ask anyway. My Galaxy SII (i9100g) is actually running on Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 with Clockworkmod as the recovery. I didn't want to upgrade earlier because I was waiting for a stable version of 11, but since the M builds are now going to be the most stable builds that will be out there I'd like to give it a try. However, since I can't upgrade OTA because I need new Gapps as well, I'll have to do a complete new installation. But I'm worried to loose all my data because of the necessary "Reset to factory settings" so is there any way I can save all my phones data (and I don't mean fotos, music, videos and stuff like that because I'm able to do that myself), I mean EVERYTHING from settings over wifi password over call lists and so on? Like I feel no difference between my phone now and my phone once it's upgraded to 11? Hope you understand what I mean, so a real copy of every little thing on my phone? I really hope so!

Looking forward to your help!

SgtDubKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bump

Nobody knows the answer?

hawaiisteve
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDubKing View Post
Nobody knows the answer?
I think nobody's answering because the answer is you probably need to a complete wipe (format system, wipe data, cache, dalvik). You can TRY to preserve your data but more than likely you will have problems or boot loops of FCs. You need to realize you are changing the completed OS and everything is not compatible. Some stuff is such as contacts, calander, etc can be restored thru Google sync and you might be able to restore SMS with nandroid manager, but be ready to lose data. Make a nandroid backup in case you're not happy with kk. Personally, I feel its worth the time and effort to upgrade. KK is sooooo much better IMO...

SgtDubKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
@hawaiisteve

Thanks for your answer! I've never updated CM before and since there is no real guide online i have a lot of newbie questions I know I'm about to install a whole new OS, that's why I'm asking if I have to wipe everything. So there is no programm which saves all the app data, sms, video, fotos, contacts, system settings which I could use to restore all my data except for the OS part? Hard to imagine everyone here updating is setting up his or her phone up again because that takes alot of time and is a pain in the ***. If there is no programm capable of doing these things is there atleast one which "mirrors" my whole phone so I can just flash back to 10.1.3 I have right now together with all apps, sms and other data I have on my phone right now? So that I can notice no difference between the phone right now and the phone after 11 and then flashing to 10 again? Thank you for your help, it's really appreciated!

hawaiisteve
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDubKing View Post
@hawaiisteve

Thanks for your answer! I've never updated CM before and since there is no real guide online i have a lot of newbie questions I know I'm about to install a whole new OS, that's why I'm asking if I have to wipe everything. So there is no programm which saves all the app data, sms, video, fotos, contacts, system settings which I could use to restore all my data except for the OS part? Hard to imagine everyone here updating is setting up his or her phone up again because that takes alot of time and is a pain in the ***. If there is no programm capable of doing these things is there atleast one which "mirrors" my whole phone so I can just flash back to 10.1.3 I have right now together with all apps, sms and other data I have on my phone right now? So that I can notice no difference between the phone right now and the phone after 11 and then flashing to 10 again? Thank you for your help, it's really appreciated!
You don't have titanium backup? It's a must! It'll save your user installed apps and app data. I remember some reporting restoring data causing problems however.
Do NOT restore system data. It will almost certainly cause issues.

SgtDubKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiisteve View Post
You don't have titanium backup? It's a must! It'll save your user installed apps and app data. I remember some reporting restoring data causing problems however.
Do NOT restore system data. It will almost certainly cause issues.
Nope. Was never necessary unfortunatly because now it looks like my SII broke yesterday so having a backup somewhere would have been great Thanks for your answer anyway, I'll try to find a way to get my phone to work again and if it does I'll try upgrading

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more