Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 37,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrading to SII - what to do?

Tip us?

echodun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Upgrading to SII - what to do?

So I'm upgrading my Samsung Captivate to the SII and was wondering how I can retain all of my apps on the new phone. My captivate is rooted so it's really a question of how I can save the apps and restore them on the new phone as easily as possible. I thought it might be as easy as using Titanium Backup, but I wasn't sure how after I back everything up I'll be able to restore it on the new phone. Thanks for the replies.

cnjax
Old
Thanks Meter 10,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by echodun View Post
So I'm upgrading my Samsung Captivate to the SII and was wondering how I can retain all of my apps on the new phone. My captivate is rooted so it's really a question of how I can save the apps and restore them on the new phone as easily as possible. I thought it might be as easy as using Titanium Backup, but I wasn't sure how after I back everything up I'll be able to restore it on the new phone. Thanks for the replies.
You can upload your tb backup to dropbox then dl it on the s2 and restore from there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
GT-I9100 powered by
NeatRom Lite 4.8
Apollo 4.7 V0
JB Reloaded + MYLR blue theme

daxgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjax View Post
You can upload your tb backup to dropbox then dl it on the s2 and restore from there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Either that or just save the Titanium backup folder from your old phone's storage to pc and then move to the root of internal sd on s2 and restore user apps. Make sure you ONLY RESTORE USER APPS. any system data and you'll get FCs right and left.
Use market apps to backup your msgs and call logs if you want to. Then move the backup files to internal sd of s2 according to where the app stores them, install the same app you backed them up with and restore...
Anything you can sync with google have synced, such as calendars and contacts. Best of luck, mate ))
After rooting s2 backup efs before you start flashing right and left. beware of the superbrick bug and always use safe kernels to wipe data...
Most importantly... have fun and happy updrading and flashing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
In real open source, you have the right to control your own destiny.

Linus Torvalds

echodun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
You have me freaking out with "superbrick bug". Never heard of it. What is efs? Is there any way to backup my apps and restore them on a different phone without a rooted device? I heard there's something called ultimatebackup or something, but couldn't find a link. Finally, what app is there to backup call logs. I use K-9 for my e-mail and its set to IMAP so I won't have any problems there. Was also able to export the mail settings to the PC.

daxgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 3,064
Quote:
You have me freaking out with "superbrick bug". Never heard of it. What is efs? Is there any way to backup my apps and restore them on a different phone without a rooted device? I heard there's something called ultimatebackup or something, but couldn't find a link. Finally, what app is there to backup call logs. I use K-9 for my e-mail and its set to IMAP so I won't have any problems there. Was also able to export the mail settings to the PC.
Superbrick bug is emmc cap bug in some ics kernels. Whenever flashing new rom always wipe data on s2 using safe kernels, such ad soyah or dorimanx and you'll be fine. Just beware of it, no need to freak out...
Don't know of non root way to backup your apps... never tried it. Maybe some of the other good folk here can help with that.
Best app for backing ypur msgs and call logs in my opinion is Mobile Backup II.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
In real open source, you have the right to control your own destiny.

Linus Torvalds

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 903
Quote:
Being a Captivate user, does that mean you are an AT&T customer, and are upgrading to the Galaxy S2 that AT&T sells? If so, you are in the wrong forum...
I never wanted to have a signature, but it seems I must. Please do not PM me directly for technical support. I mean it! No exceptions! Thank you.

Everyone (esPECIALLY n00bs) should read this.

echodun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yes, AT&T customer. Which forum should I be in? I didn't see a Skyrocket or other SII on the list. TIA.

ctomgee
Old
(Last edited by ctomgee; 27th November 2012 at 04:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 903
Quote:
Yes, AT&T customer. Which forum should I be in? I didn't see a Skyrocket or other SII on the list. TIA.
Regular SII (SGH-I777): http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1301
Skyrocket (SGH-I727): http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1399

If you go to the overall page that has all devices listed, they are there; just do a find on the page with the model number.

EDIT: Just FYI, the answer to your original question is still valid to use Titanium Backup to back up and restore app data. The reason I mentioned the specific device forums is so you don't go flashing an i9100 firmware, ROM, or kernel to your shiny new I777 or I727, or otherwise use a root method specific to the i9100 on either of those devices. That usually doesn't end well.
I never wanted to have a signature, but it seems I must. Please do not PM me directly for technical support. I mean it! No exceptions! Thank you.

Everyone (esPECIALLY n00bs) should read this.