Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 38,935 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrading to XWLPi

Tip us?

Obagleyfreer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 777
Default Upgrading to XWLPi

I'm currently running XWLP7 firmware and there is an upgrade to xwlpi firmware.

The question I want to ask is, does anyone know anything about this firmware? I can't find any info on it at all.
Also does upgrading through mean I will lose things on my phone like Jkay framework and supercharger tweaks etc?
I've never upgraded through kies and don't know if this upgrade is worth it or not.

Any help/info would be great

Thanks in advance

UltimateAnas
Old
Thanks Meter 30
If your using a Custom ROM then don't update via kies, you'll end up in a boot loop...and even if you aren't , from what I've read updating via kies isn't recommended+is the firmware 4.0.4?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
If I helped you don't forget to press thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to UltimateAnas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Obagleyfreer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAnas View Post
If your using a Custom ROM then don't update via kies, you'll end up in a boot loop...and even if you aren't , from what I've read updating via kies isn't recommended+is the firmware 4.0.4?

Thank you for your reply,

I'm not actually sure what the upgrade is I assume it's 4.0.4 but it doesn't say. It's tells me it's:
PDA: xwlpi (which I can't find any info on) phone:xwlpx. And Csc: lp2

If it is 4.0.4 is there any point? Do you what thanges are from 4.0.3?

I'm running stock Lp7 rom but with Jkay framework and a few tweaks and mods.

Thanks for any help

UltimateAnas
Old
Thanks Meter 30
From experience and what I have read, 4.0.4 is buggy and there is also the risk of the brick bug kernel so in my opinion its not worth upgrading, stay on 4.0.3 or use a custom ROM if you want 4.0.4 although there isn't much change!

If I helped you don't forget to press thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to UltimateAnas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Obagleyfreer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 777
Quote:
From experience and what I have read, 4.0.4 is buggy and there is also the risk of the brick bug kernel so in my opinion its not worth upgrading, stay on 4.0.3 or use a custom ROM if you want 4.0.4 although there isn't much change!

cool, thanks for the advice. I'll stay with 4.0.3 and just wait for JB

Jokesy
Old
Thanks Meter 1147
Quote:

-Yes, 4.0.4 has a brick bug on its kernel.
-Yes, it's not worth upgrading to it only for NOOBS who can't read or ask questions.
-presently, 4.0.4 is the most stable, fastest and smoothest stock ICS firmware for galaxy SII. I've tested and reviewed it myself

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy SII

I will no longer be as active as before on XDA. So please don't send me any PM. Thanks

Obagleyfreer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokesy View Post
-Yes, 4.0.4 has a brick bug on its kernel.
-Yes, it's not worth upgrading to it only for NOOBS who can't read or ask questions.
-presently, 4.0.4 is the most stable, fastest and smoothest stock ICS firmware for galaxy SII. I've tested and reviewed it myself

Thank you for your reply.

I probably wont bother upgrading as 4.1 JB for the S2 is just around the corner.....

You say it's not worth upgrading, but then you say it's the most stable, smoothest and fasted stock firmware?
It seems a little contradictory to me.........

Jokesy
Old
Thanks Meter 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I probably wont bother upgrading as 4.1 JB for the S2 is just around the corner.....

You say it's not worth upgrading, but then you say it's the most stable, smoothest and fasted stock firmware?
It seems a little contradictory to me.........
I said it's not worth upgrading four a NOOB who can read it follow simple instructions

For other people not in the above category, it's a must have.

I will no longer be as active as before on XDA. So please don't send me any PM. Thanks

ksilver89
Old
Thanks Meter 94
In a way, he mean 4.0.4 is good, but you need to use a safe kernel instead of original samsung kernel, otherwise you're looking for trouble.

Obagleyfreer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilver89 View Post
In a way, he mean 4.0.4 is good, but you need to use a safe kernel instead of original samsung kernel, otherwise you're looking for trouble.
Cool I thought that's what he meant

I'll just hold tight for jelly bean then as I use the MHL output too much to use a custom kernel.

It's strange that Samsung have made kernels with the EMMC erase command. I wonder why they did that, there must be a reason, they're not stupid. Maybe they were trying to stop people playing around with the software..

The Following User Says Thank You to Obagleyfreer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]