Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,844 Members 51,562 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Urgent Help needed: Galaxy S2 made in China or in Korea?

Tip us?

itenos
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Question [Q] Urgent Help needed: Galaxy S2 made in China or in Korea?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in Singapore and found some shops in the Sim Lim Square Computer Center that sell the Galaxy S2 at real rock bottom prices: less than 800 S$ (about US$630).
They come without a warranty card in it and with a Spanish/English User manual and a charger with a US plug, instead of the local Singaporean plug.
There is definitely something shady about these phones but as long as it's only the plug difference and the absence of warranty I wouldn't be concerned as even the official Samsung Singapore warranty wouldn't be valid outside of Singapore (and as I said, I'm just visiting here).

My big doubt started when I saw the sticker inside the phone under the battery that says: Made in China
My current phone, the old Galaxy S is made in Korea!

I'm afraid that these phones might actually be complete fake ones... I've seen that once in the Philippines: they sell fake Nokia phones that look like Nokia and even have the first menu level of the firmware look like Nokia's Symbian and only on level 2 deep everything changes to chinese garbage.

Could anyone help me out with my doubts as soon as possible? I'm here in Singapore only until tomorrow so I have to make a fast decision.

Thanks a lot

Mikhael Hong
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm Korean. Samsung Electronics is Korean Company. Every flagship samsung mobile phone made in Korea in Gumi city. Samsung mobile factory located Gumi city in Korea. I have galaxy s and galaxy s2 uk unlock version. My phones made in Korea.

Sp1tfire
Old
Thanks Meter 120
There are units made in China too. You just gotta find out if they are original Samsung products

Isadora
Old
Thanks Meter 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by itenos View Post

My big doubt started when I saw the sticker inside the phone under the battery that says: Made in China
Mine has Made in Korea on the sticker under the battery...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

zeitgeb3r
Old
Thanks Meter 10
FFS! Don't go to Sim Lim Square. It's the shadiest tech town in the world. I once bought a 128GB thumb drive there. It was faaaake.

On another occasion, I bought an N8 with no warranty cuz it was going for cheap (and was told it was the last one in stock). It died within a week.

You get what you pay for.

If it's too good to be true, then it's not Beyoncé kneeling before me.
The Following User Says Thank You to zeitgeb3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bharat_xda
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by itenos View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in Singapore and found some shops in the Sim Lim Square Computer Center that sell the Galaxy S2 at real rock bottom prices: less than 800 S$ (about US$630).
They come without a warranty card in it and with a Spanish/English User manual and a charger with a US plug, instead of the local Singaporean plug.
There is definitely something shady about these phones but as long as it's only the plug difference and the absence of warranty I wouldn't be concerned as even the official Samsung Singapore warranty wouldn't be valid outside of Singapore (and as I said, I'm just visiting here).

My current phone, the old Galaxy S is made in Korea!

I'm afraid that these phones might actually be complete fake ones... I've seen that once in the Philippines: they sell fake Nokia phones that look like Nokia and even have the first menu level of the firmware look like Nokia's Symbian and only on level 2 deep everything changes to chinese garbage.

Could anyone help me out with my doubts as soon as possible? I'm here in Singapore only until tomorrow so I have to make a fast decision.

Thanks a lot
I'd avoid buying high-end stuff from Sim Lim if I were you. Which shop are we talking about?

While it's definitely possible that these are original(given the price), these could be refurbished/stolen(although this is less likely in Singpaore).

If $630 is a lot for you, I'd suggest you pick a unit with warranty. If that's not an option, at least shell out a few extra dollars to get it from an authorized retailer.

For the record, my Indian phone says 'Made by Samsung in Korea'.
The Following User Says Thank You to bharat_xda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kannanX10
Old
Thanks Meter 118
In India first batch s2 phones were made in Korea whereas the second batch is made in China(which is now in stock)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
Xperia Z2 & S5 exynos

Z1-S4-XZ-Note2-L920-iphone5-GSIII-one X-XS-4S-note-S2-xperia arc-HD7-venue-desire hd-SGS-x10-i8910 hd

Chelsea FC -- for life
The Following User Says Thank You to kannanX10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TWiTCommander
Old
Thanks Meter 6
My SGS2 says "Made in China". I checked like a dozen other handsets at various reputable retailers (including Samsung's distributors, authorized retailers and repair centres) last week (I was vacationing). All had "Made in China" labels under the battery.

I guess there are at least two factories making these devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to TWiTCommander For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Beautyspin
Old
Thanks Meter 25
My Packaging says it is made in Korea. Even the sticker under the battery in the unit says made in Korea. But the battery itself is made in China. LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beautyspin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nelsonoski1972
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Wink Oxymoron or Conundrum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautyspin View Post
My Packaging says it is made in Korea. Even the sticker under the battery in the unit says made in Korea. But the battery itself is made in China. LOL.
Mine is same as yours.Got it from Letsbuy in the 2nd week of June.Actually the battery says"Made in Korea but finished in China".
ROF!LOL!!