XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Device Not Recognized

Tip us?

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Unhappy USB Device Not Recognized

GT-I9100, 4.1.2 stock. All of a sudden started getting this error when connecting USB cable to PC.
Note, I've been trying two different PCs (one with XP, one with Win7), different USB ports, different USB cable - same error. It charges perfectly fine with all these cables and port, but refuses to connect (Debugging on/off...you name it).

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

keithross39
Old
(Last edited by keithross39; 25th December 2013 at 11:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1088
OK......I think you have a faulty USB port (they DO wear out)......
Each connector in that port performs a different function. It is entirely possible that one of the connectors in your phones USB port is faulty (in your case, the data transfer connection) while the others remain functional. It is an easy and cheap part to replace.....
If you check my profile, you will see a guide I have written that explains exactly how to replace it.......

Actually.......here's the link to the guide.......
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2335961
Merry Christmas....

This might be my S2, or it might be my W...but it's definitely CM
The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithross39 View Post
OK......I think you have a faulty USB port (they DO wear out)......
Each connector in that port performs a different function. It is entirely possible that one of the connectors in your phones USB port is faulty (in your case, the data transfer connection) while the others remain functional. It is an easy and cheap part to replace.....
If you check my profile, you will see a guide I have written that explains exactly how to replace it.......

Merry Christmas....

Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you too!!

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithross39 View Post
Merry Christmas....

OK, let me understand something - so I need to disassemble the phone first to determine which version my board is, before I even order it, correct? In other words - no other way to determine which version/board I need to order...
The Following User Says Thank You to sbi1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1088
Yes....afraid that is the case.....an authorised service centre would have to do it the same way (though they'd probably have every version of the board already in stock).....

The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Matt2105
Old
Thanks Meter 3
hey man,
i had exactly the same with my phone. replacing the usb port of the i9100 helped. i paid 20 for a new original! one (i think you can get them a little bit cheaper, depends on your location). be careful not to buy fake usb ports from china.
i was afraid of disassembling too. but with the video guide it is simple and easy. the most "problem" i had, was to open the cover. do not force it, be gentle. it takes some time.

you will need a very small screwdriver. you do not need a original from ebay, just go to the next walmart or whatever you have and buy one

merry xmas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt2105 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
(Last edited by keithross39; 26th December 2013 at 10:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1088
Yeah....most DIY chains will do those micro screwdrivers.....hell, they even sell them in my local 1 store.......(though i imagine they're probably only good for a single use lol)

firnasz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Did you check your USB cable is working. Because, there are cheap/fake usb cables out there which can only be used for charging, sometimes charging also wont work

sbi1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by firnasz View Post
Did you check your USB cable is working. Because, there are cheap/fake usb cables out there which can only be used for charging, sometimes charging also wont work
Yes. Checked several cables, including the original that came with the phone. All of them charge the phone (in two different computers) but not connecting the USB (again, in two different computers).