Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,681 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Jig

Tip us?

jl10101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 398
Default [Q] USB Jig

Hi everyone!

Im really hoping someone here can help me. Basically, I plugged in my SGS2 via USB and thats when the issues started. Windows 7 told me the device was not recognized etc. The phone thought it was charging when it wasn't even plugged in and I got to messages about overvoltage issues whilst unplugged on a ICS ROM.

After much research I found out that its not the cables, drivers etc (as iv tried various PCs, OSs and cables, but that its actually the usb connector on the phone side.

So, today i went and bought rubbing alcohol and compressed air, used them and my USB issue is fixed. it read perfectly now, no issues. There was a lot of dirt in the socket!

But, just in case the phone does it again, I have warranty. But, not if my Binary Counter shows 100+ flashes. So I will be making myself a USB Jig after college today. I have purchased resistors already. I got 3 X 100Kohm resistors (I was assured they were right). They are blue and have the following bands: BROWN - BLACK - BLACK - ORANGE - BROWN.

As far as I can work out they are correct? Please could someone double check this if they have Jig experience? I will be using a spare nokia Micro USB B cable to make the Jig.

If anyone could calm my nerves that would be great!

I will stop typing now... haha

Nyssa1104
Old
Thanks Meter 129
By searching you would of had a hit on at least this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114
For making a jig search forum or google .

Samsung Galaxy S lll 9305
Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
Stock phone -Rooted
Samsung Galaxy S II
(x2) ROM: Stock XWLSW
Kernel: Phil XWLSW v5.06.6 with CWM 6.0.3.2 -exFat 64GB
Samsung Star S5230 Stock still in use!

Kaze105
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl10101 View Post
Hi everyone!

Im really hoping someone here can help me. Basically, I plugged in my SGS2 via USB and thats when the issues started. Windows 7 told me the device was not recognized etc. The phone thought it was charging when it wasn't even plugged in and I got to messages about overvoltage issues whilst unplugged on a ICS ROM.

After much research I found out that its not the cables, drivers etc (as iv tried various PCs, OSs and cables, but that its actually the usb connector on the phone side.

So, today i went and bought rubbing alcohol and compressed air, used them and my USB issue is fixed. it read perfectly now, no issues. There was a lot of dirt in the socket!

But, just in case the phone does it again, I have warranty. But, not if my Binary Counter shows 100+ flashes. So I will be making myself a USB Jig after college today. I have purchased resistors already. I got 3 X 100Kohm resistors (I was assured they were right). They are blue and have the following bands: BROWN - BLACK - BLACK - ORANGE - BROWN.

As far as I can work out they are correct? Please could someone double check this if they have Jig experience? I will be using a spare nokia Micro USB B cable to make the Jig.

If anyone could calm my nerves that would be great!

I will stop typing now... haha

Orange? Sadly whoever you bought it from is mistaken. Color band should be Brown-Black-Yellow-(XXX). (XXX) can be different according to the tolerance, but brown is fine. The color you said is a 10K resistor, not 100K ohm resistor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaze105 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jl10101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 398
Thanks for the replies,

@Kaze105, according to an online resistor calculator its 100K ohm so Im very confused. whenever I look at tutorials, thier resistors are always different looking to what I get over the counter here in South Africa. Its wierd, but more so annoying.

(replace xx with tt)
hxxp://samengstrom.com/15924820/en/read/5_Band_Resistor_Color_Codes

Kaze105
Old
(Last edited by Kaze105; 21st February 2012 at 11:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Thanks for the replies,

@Kaze105, according to an online resistor calculator its 100K ohm so Im very confused. whenever I look at tutorials, thier resistors are always different looking to what I get over the counter here in South Africa. Its wierd, but more so annoying.

(replace xx with tt)
hxxp://samengstrom.com/15924820/en/read/5_Band_Resistor_Color_Codes

Well sorry for my error, didnt see it was a 5 color resistor (lol), you are correct if its a 5 band, my thinking was as a 4 color resistor.

jl10101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 398
No prob Was getting very confused. So if I use three of these in series they should be ok? Thanks so much for all the help thus far!

Kaze105
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
No prob Was getting very confused. So if I use three of these in series they should be ok? Thanks so much for all the help thus far!
Yes that will be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kaze105 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]