Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 36,223 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My USB Storage is listed as Internal Storage

Tip us?

awesomealvin
Old
(Last edited by awesomealvin; 12th January 2014 at 06:59 AM.) Reason: Spacing Pictures
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] My USB Storage is listed as Internal Storage

Hello

My Dad gave me his 32 GB SD Card, so I inserted it into my phone.
And there was some of his files, so I had to format it. I went onto the storage settings and scrolled down to find "Erase SD Card"
So I simply pressed it, and confirmed..
So much regrets. It erased my god damn USB Storage filled with 11GB of files, even important ones with all my music, rooting files such as ROMS, downloads, images etc.
Sorry, but I am so ****ing pissed.

The ****ing thing said "Erase SD Card". NOT "ERASE USB STORAGE OR INTERNAL STORAGE".

Here's some screenshots:
So there's my actual internal storage...

And my USB Storage that is listed as Internal Storage...

And the Erase SD Card option, above the SD CARD.

I don't understand why the option says "Erase SD Card", instead of either ERASE INTERNAL STORAGE, or ERASE USB STORAGE.
It doesn't make any sense.
Now that I'm left with basically a new phone with nothing of my personal files left.
And why the hell doesn't my SD CARD not have a Erase SD Card option?

I know I can't get my files back, but at least, how do I fix this god damn problem?

My phone is rooted with Cyanogen Mod 10.1.3-i9100
Kernel is 3.12.06-rc6-Dorimanx-V9.43-JB-SGII-PWR-CORE
And yes, I can go into clockwork recovery mode.

thanks

MistahBungle
Old
(Last edited by MistahBungle; 12th January 2014 at 08:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3,205
'SD card' has always meant the internal SD card (I.E internal storage), external SD has always been labelled as such.

You can mess around with mount points if you want, but I don't see why you'd do that ? You did something a lot of people have done on here over the past couple of yrs, you now know what 'erase SD card' means & does, you're unlikely to do it mistakenly again.

Edit - If you want to format an external SD card, do it from Windoze (phone connected to PC via USB) or from CWRecovery.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

awesomealvin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
'SD card' has always meant the internal SD card (I.E internal storage), external SD has always been labelled as such.

You can mess around with mount points if you want, but I don't see why you'd do that ? You did something a lot of people have done on here over the past couple of yrs, you now know what 'erase SD card' means & does, you're unlikely to do it mistakenly again.

Edit - If you want to format an external SD card, do it from Windoze (phone connected to PC via USB) or from CWRecovery.
Okay thanks, yeah, I formatted the SD card using CWRecovery, but shouldn't there be an option to unmount my SD Card in Settings > Storage?
And on CWRecovery, there were many options to format my SD Card; format ext-sd, format sd-card0, format sd-card1, and I think format external sdcard. Which one is the correct one? I formatted all of them except for sd-card0.

thanks

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomealvin View Post
But shouldn't there be an option to unmount my SD Card in Settings > Storage?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomealvin View Post
And on CWRecovery, there were many options to format my SD Card; format ext-sd, format sd-card0, format sd-card1, and I think format external sdcard. Which one is the correct one? I formatted all of them except for sd-card0.
I'm not running that rom & I'm not looking at the CWRecovery screen that you're looking at. Why not make it easy for yourself & do it in Windoze ? That way there's absolutely no doubt as to what you're doing.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

awesomealvin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Nope.

I'm not running that rom & I'm not looking at the CWRecovery screen that you're looking at. Why not make it easy for yourself & do it in Windoze ? That way there's absolutely no doubt as to what you're doing.
that's weird, because when I'm having troubles installing some applications and I go on google to find a solution, mostly everyone says to Unmount and Mount the SD Card again through Settings > Storage > Unmount

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
I'm not seeing an option in storage to unmount my external SD card in either of my Samsung phones. You can do it from CWRecovery though. I think you'll find those people are referring to the internal SD.

awesomealvin
Old
(Last edited by awesomealvin; 12th January 2014 at 12:58 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I'm not seeing an option in storage to unmount my external SD card in either of my Samsung phones. You can do it from CWRecovery though. I think you'll find those people are referring to the internal SD.
Hmm okay, thanks, I'll just use Windoze then, thank you.
Good to know i'm not the only one that's not seeing those options.