Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

whats the use of having a tablet?

OP soraxd

26th April 2011, 08:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 631

1,110 posts
Donate to Me
More
so this galaxy tab is interesting, well all of the android tablets are, not sure which one is the best, but yeah. i mean its not as powerful as a computer, and its limited because it lacks the huge support windows has.. its much larger than a phone, yet worse specs.. i cant help but think i should just get a netbook.. i mean i want to like tablets, because i think it might be fun, but i just cant seem to find any big selling points to convince me to drop a few hundred dollars into one..

thoughts?
26th April 2011, 08:29 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 105

895 posts
- watch videos while you cook
- watch videos while you are in the bath
- watch videos while you are in the livingroom with the tv on and not watching it
- watch videos in the public transport

not much more, the tablets are simply a sustitute of the netbooks, more battery. more screen, less weight, similar funtions.

*watch videos can be changed for play angry birds or reading websites
26th April 2011, 09:03 AM   |  #3  
Flag Cheshire, UK.
Thanks Meter: 53

405 posts
More
I know what you mean, I'm struggling with the same thoughts.

I kinda want a tab, but I have no idea if I'd use it over my laptop.

I guess its smaller, lighter and more mobile, longer battery, more focused (by that I mean the apps and games are really geared up for the platform, where as a lot of windows games are awkward to play on a laptop).

Thats about it I think?
Last edited by madpete; 26th April 2011 at 09:05 AM.
26th April 2011, 09:33 AM   |  #4  
Flag cleveland

1,110 posts
Donate to Me
More
but didnt they take out more battery from the tab, to be thinner than the ipad2? whats the battery life now, compared to what it was?
26th April 2011, 09:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 54

335 posts
Dont know what this is doing in a mobile phone sub forum but hey I'll bite anyway....

I have a very decent desktop, extremely decent laptop, currently using a Dell Steak as a phone (cross between a phone and tablet) but whilst im at home none of them really get used.

I have a Advent Vega 10.1 inch tablet, it is not the best tablet out there by far, but you get good bang for your buck. Im currently running froyo on it and love it to pieces. I use it for general web browsing whilst watching tv, reading books via kindle app, emails, playing Angry Birds etc whilst again watching tv, music whilst cooking/washing up etc.... The great thing is the portability for its size, also how easy it is to pick up and quickly do what you want snd then put it back down again...

I know what you mean, but until you have one then you wont actually realise how handy they are - I wouldn't be without mine now

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA Premium App
26th April 2011, 10:34 AM   |  #6  
Flag Chisinau
Thanks Meter: 173

488 posts
More
whats the use of having brains....you know...nvm
26th April 2011, 10:57 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 8

71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraxd

but didnt they take out more battery from the tab, to be thinner than the ipad2? whats the battery life now, compared to what it was?

My Galaxy Tab lasts a good 2-3 days before needing to be charged. I use it for about 20 minutes at a time at least 5-6 times a day, although mine is flashed with the overcome rom which I'm told improves the battery quite drastically. I use it for almost everything now, email, web browsing, call making, text sending, video playing, game playing, music listening(winamp widget ), GPS navigating and even comic reading(reading The Walking Dead on the Tab while taking a poop = heaven).

When I was considering buying it, I had the same questions going through my head. I already have a laptop and a phone so what's the point in a tablet? And to be totally honest, ever since I bought it I've used my laptop all of about 3 times in a month, and that was only to capture video. And my phone? Ugh, hate it now. I'd rather use the tab as a phone than my crappy Nokia.

If you're planning on getting an SGS2 then don't bother with the tablet. Aside from the screen size the SGS2 will kick mud in the Tab's face all day long. Once my SGS2 arrives I foresee the tab doing nothing more than collecting dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to DVC1985 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2011, 11:02 AM   |  #8  
Flag cleveland

1,110 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC1985

My Galaxy Tab lasts a good 2-3 days before needing to be charged. I use it for about 20 minutes at a time at least 5-6 times a day, although mine is flashed with the overcome rom which I'm told improves the battery quite drastically. I use it for almost everything now, email, web browsing, call making, text sending, video playing, game playing, music listening(winamp widget ), GPS navigating and even comic reading(reading The Walking Dead on the Tab while taking a poop = heaven).

When I was considering buying it, I had the same questions going through my head. I already have a laptop and a phone so what's the point in a tablet? And to be totally honest, ever since I bought it I've used my laptop all of about 3 times in a month, and that was only to capture video. And my phone? Ugh, hate it now. I'd rather use the tab as a phone than my crappy Nokia.

If you're planning on getting an SGS2 then don't bother with the tablet. Aside from the screen size the SGS2 will kick mud in the Tab's face all day long. Once my SGS2 arrives I foresee the tab doing nothing more than collecting dust.

yeah i guess youre right, it would be nice to use my manga app on tho, but i guess ill pass on the tab.. i wonder whats better, the tab or the xoom
26th April 2011, 11:12 AM   |  #9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 175

555 posts
More
My mum and dad got me an iPad first gen for xmas.. i sent it back the next day because i think tablets = worthless..
Im gonna get a 4.3inch phone that is mad powerful.. why would i need a tab?
26th April 2011, 06:46 PM   |  #10  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1,169

4,402 posts
More
I was thinking of getting a Tablet when I had my Blackberry, but since leaving crackberry and getting an Android phone I was really impressed, got a DHD at the moment and it can do most thing I want it to do, nice 4.3" screen for web browsing, music, videos etc, all things i struggled to do well on a crackberry! I think this Samsung will replace most things I use as in MP3 player etc.

For the time being I won't be buying a tablet until I get fed up of the phone or my needs expand over time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread