Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,757 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Australian AU Galaxy S II (help/rooting/updates,etc)

Tip us?

roosta
Old
(Last edited by roosta; 21st August 2011 at 02:14 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Default Australian AU Galaxy S II (help/rooting/updates,etc)

Hey guys,

The Galaxy S2 is an extremely powerful (and very popular) smartphone in the market today - and since Samsung have sold a record number of these worldwide, figured its about to BOOM bigtime; particularly in Australia as prices start to fall and phone plans start to drop. Because of this, I wanted to provide other Aussie members on these forums with a HANDY point of reference, as a lot of guides & tutorials are for different models or have different specifications and require some tweaking. Use this thread as a guide, a starting point, or utilise this thread for other aussie general help.

Please help by posting what build you have on your SGS2, your speed test results in australia, modem type, network,etc...Your experiences, your advice, any input is appreciated. Ive only done the first 15 pages thus far:

Members and their SGS2's on the following networks:

Quote:
VODAFONE
unrealtb
MealsOnWheels
anuj25
Jesmicael
akira888
infra4800
fuusuke

OPTUS
HeavySixEight
sm98
jwonga
robt772000
ausdrioder
sabamacx
jinx405
beaver2233
Sico69galaxy
mrxd
cheetah2k

TELSTRA
roosta
tjjensen23
bentothemaxx
zeitgeb3r
BennyT83
gunigugu
Plopz
shtumpa
irv777
extremeit79
maark11
YukiestRapier
alexeiw123

UNKNOWN:
380AU
jerome.d
page 2: Optus/Telstra tips/tricks on FW: diable fast dormancy, GPS info etc

page 5: Full review of phone (photo/vid), usb drivers, oldin, complete phone service manual, letter codes

page 10:Specifics for rooted phone 3g hack

page 11: undervolting and saving battery life steps

Thanks guys

RoOSTA
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to roosta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zetsubou7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
From another forum:

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a 3G quadband phone and will work basically on every single network in Australia as it supports every network band aussie carriers use. So it doesn't matter where you buy the phone from, it will work on Telstra unless you go buy the korean version or something.

Anybody who says it won't work is either naive, fooled, or plain ignorant. There has been cases where some staff at Telstra shops have told people that it won't work, that is total bull**** and **** that they give to make people wait for the phone on Telstra or some **** they themselves were feed with.

I myself use the S2 on Telstra and is getting HSPA+ speeds with no problem.

Usually Telstra release phones late cause they need to get a special version~~ now with the S2 they are saying they release it late cause of their test cycles and their so call "optimizations"

HeavySixEight
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Well, i got mine with an Optus $59 at the start of june, KE7 stock..

I Hated the amount of Optus rubbish on the phone (that i could'nt remove!) so i ended up here, reading everything i could for a few days, then rooted my stock rom from chainfire's post.

Since then, I've de-branded with the stock KF2 poland rom and rooted that. (Since Intratech put up the original stock roms for optus, i have my backup.)

Performance is great, coverage is great and everything runs well...

Has anyone updated from Kies to KF3? Was KF3 the Aus update?

tjjensen23
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Release UK imported. Bought it from Hantec
Works 100% with NextG. Also my mates got one and his works fine aswell. All settings out of Box except changed the APN for faster speeds .

Custom Rom (keeps switching between VR and Cognition)

No problems whatsoever
Xperia Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Sarcasm View Post
Personally, I love seeing your wife's name 10 times in my call log.

unrealtb
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Vodafail customer here... Great fone. Rooted with lighting 1.5. Dun want to go to v2 as it changes the web browser as i quite like stock. Still on 2.3.3 tried 2.3.4 didnt notice a great change. Gonna wait for cm7... maybe 8! Question.... Just say i wanted to go back to vodafail rom etc.. So it would be like when i first got ot how would i do this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

roosta
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsubou7 View Post
From another forum:
Hey zetsu,

Yes my initial post did sound a little ditsy... But i have read additional articles of other software modifications Tesltra have in the works to make it a bit more unqiue - arguably, some would say really not that much difference or worth waiting for - but nevertheless I would much prefer an Aussie version of the phone and AC power without having to use a loose, dodgy international adapter to plug into an Aussie powerpoint.

I do (and did) understand this phone, whether its from Telstra or not, from anywhere around the world is quadband and works on the nextg 850mhz freq band.

Cheers.

HeavySixEight
Old
(Last edited by HeavySixEight; 13th July 2011 at 08:45 AM.) Reason: wrong thread mention..
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealtb View Post
Vodafail customer here... Great fone. Rooted with lighting 1.5. Dun want to go to v2 as it changes the web browser as i quite like stock. Still on 2.3.3 tried 2.3.4 didnt notice a great change. Gonna wait for cm7... maybe 8! Question.... Just say i wanted to go back to vodafail rom etc.. So it would be like when i first got ot how would i do this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Just check Intratech's carrier branded Rom thread and flash one from Vodafone Australia that matches what you had originally...

roosta
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjensen23 View Post
Release UK imported. Bought it from Hantec
Works 100% with NextG. Also my mates got one and his works fine aswell. All settings out of Box except changed the APN for faster speeds .

Custom Rom (keeps switching between VR and Cognition)

No problems whatsoever
tjj, what APN settings did you use, the ausdriod.net one?

RoOSTA

bentothemaxx
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I've got an Optus branded handset, running on Telstra. I get awesome speeds, have gotten over 10Mbps download speeds!

Using the telstra.wap APN, seems to work a bit better than the telstra.internet for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to bentothemaxx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zeitgeb3r
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Bought from TeleChoice outright for $750 early June after haggling with the seller. Optus branded (AllPhone wasn't selling unbranded at the time).

Rooted it with ChainFire (In case I need to unroot and not lose the warranty, I bought USB Jig from EBAY in case I need to reset download counter).

Paid for Titanium Backup to freeze Optus bloatware (that was before IntraTech released the Optus Stock ROM).

Put on SIM Telstra $49/month Freedom Connect BYO 12 month plan.

I love it when H+ (HSPA+) lights up. My colleagues are jealous, because they're either on Optus, Voda or Virgin and they can only 3G, not H+.

I used ausdriod.net APN (telstra.internet). Getting around 10Mbps in CBD. I might try telstra.wap and see if it's any faster.

Bought accessories from ExportPrive (Korean based) :
  • Official Samsung spare battery AUD$25
  • Official Samsung Anymode Charging Dock for spare battery AUD$12
  • SGP Stenheil Ultra Oleophobic Anti-Fingerprints screen protector AUD$11
  • Transcend Micro SDHC Class 4 32GB AUD$63
  • Samsung official car dock AUD$50
  • Shipping $11

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeitgeb3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]