[GUIDE] And then there was ROOT !

Search This thread

digibum

Jan 29, 2009
Novo mesto
So i got root, naw what?

There is an update available for my phone (OTA/Kies), but it cannot be installed because of root. So how to update?

Thank you all!

adamwardw3

Jan 14, 2012
Kentucky
Please Help!!!!!

I just bought the galaxy s2, however i have to unlock the sim which requires root access. I previously had the samsung exhibit 2 and i rooted it and installed cuxtom roms with no problem so im not completely retarded, however i have tried a million different methods to root this phone and idk i have hit a metal block on it.
i have tried zergrush root which i used on my exibit 2 and many sites said that it should work on the s2, but it didnso then i tried the odin and super one click method. but when i go to install the qip, it keeps giving me a message saying that E signature verifiation failed!!!! i have tried everything i can think of. i have tried to install custom roms that had the root already built into the rom and it does the same when i go to flash it.
as for the odin, i cant get this phone to go into download mode. correct me if i am wrong but isint it volume down, home, an power button to put the phone into download mode??? ive tried it a thousand times it just reboots like normal and asks for my unlock code. can someone please help me
OK so I got y phone rooted by downloading a custom kernal and I was successful. But my wify doesn't work. The thread is dead so no help there. I then tried to install a villainrom because it had a custom kernal expecting that my wify would b fixed. But bow my phone won't go past the boot screen. Can someone please direct me somewhere I can wipe my phone off and start fresh? Or perhaps a from I can flash over. I have to have my Wi-Fi.

I finally got my phone booted up. I installed lite'ning from v6.1. My phone boots up and everything g is great however my wi fi still doesn't work. I can now go into both recovery and download mode. Can someone please help me to get this Wi-Fi working :(

Last edited:

slick78

Nov 2, 2007
I am trying to root but i have a new galaxy s2 and my kernal says EK02 can i still use one thats on the board or is there another i should use. if one of the ones posted on the first page is compatable which one is it? i was trying to use the root process from this video and it had my phone bricked for a while till i watched another vid that showed how to unbrick it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw_za0mQorw&feature=related

bob0builder

Apr 12, 2008
I am trying to root but my kernel doesn't have any info. It simply just shows 2.6.35

Anyway to determine what file I need to download?

What is the *#1234#

Is that supposed to give me more kernel info?

It's on Sprint in the United States. Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100

Last edited:

Urbanrootz

Sep 17, 2010
Can someone tell me if there is an insecure UHKI1 kernel for the SGS2 - Cannot find a CF_ROOT supported version!!!! Trying to root my SGS2

Thanks in advance ....

OK I think I figured this out _ after searching high and low....it looks like there's no insecure UHKI1 CF_ROOT kernel, CF-Root-SGS2_CE_XEN_KI2-v4.2-CWM4.zip worked for me, justan FYI for those trying to root stock UHKI1 kernel.

Last edited:

rdhalla

Mar 1, 2012
android world
Can somone post another link to SUperoneclick ? That link posted earlier is really annoying. Its putting me to wait list and i think its the 5th time now. I fill in the code and its asking me to wait every60 second.

TudorBlue

Account currently disabled
Jul 18, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Right, just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S 2 and will be looking to root it as soon as poss. Which post is going to be easiest for me to follow, this one or Chainfire's? I am a bit of a noob but have rooted my Google Nexus S but want to be careful. Im still a bit clueless though :confused:

rootingdestroyer

Mar 22, 2012
Gotham
Right, just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S 2 and will be looking to root it as soon as poss. Which post is going to be easiest for me to follow, this one or Chainfire's? I am a bit of a noob but have rooted my Google Nexus S but want to be careful. Im still a bit clueless though :confused:
This was really easy to follow. If you're struggling at all send me a pm. I made every possible mistake while rooting. Just read read read, it'll save you heaps of time you'll see. I wasted about 10 hours unbricking because i was silly and realised i didnt need to as soon as i'd finished.

Just successfully rooted yesterday. This, is really simple to follow. If it's maybe too much jargon for you, pm me i'll link you the much n00b friendly one i followed :)

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Anybody read page one .

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SUPERCEDED BY THE CF-ROOT THREAD: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1103399

jje
This thread is a bit more n00b friendly :) and comes with a youtube guide. who isnt gonna follow this?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Can somone post another link to SUperoneclick ? That link posted earlier is really annoying. Its putting me to wait list and i think its the 5th time now. I fill in the code and its asking me to wait every60 second.
google.

Reactions: simaem

Private6

May 9, 2012
Attached are a number of original / unmodified kernels

Note that you need to flash the TAR file inside the ZIP file... XDA does allow posting of TARs, but these once are too big, that is why they are ZIPped.

I've got GINGERBREAD.XWKK2

Because I'm a noob I'm not sure what to download now, and I don't want to mess it all up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SUPERCEDED BY THE CF-ROOT THREAD: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

Here it is people, root for the I9100 !

I set out to make a "CF-Root" kernel for the SGS2 - a hacked Samsung kernel including Superuser, busybox, custom recovery, etc) - like I have for the SGS and SGT, but due to not having a device to test on, this is proving too difficult to do right now, it will have to wait. However, what I can give you is an "insecure" modded kernel. This is a kernel that does NOT include the tools you need for Superuser, but it DOES give you root shell access, so you can install these manually.

So what about GingerBreak? Isn't that supposed to be able to root the SGS2? No. GingerBreak was able to root a number of engineering samples of the SGS2, but it does NOT work on retail devices.

Following is a guide on how to perform the root. It is rather easy if you know the drill from other Galaxy devices, but if you are a complete beginner with Samsung phones or Android in general, please read very closely! Try to remember what you do, as likely in the future you'll be using ODIN more often, to flash custom kernels, custom/leaked firmwares, etc.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, PLEASE NOTE YOUR ORIGINAL KERNEL VERSION IN Settings -> About !

Quick guide (for experienced users)
    - Reboot into download mode
    - Using the attached Odin version, flash the attached XWKDD kernel as PDA. Do not use the PIT, do not have any options checked except for "Auto reboot" and "F. Reset Time"
    - Wait for the device to reboot
    - Use the "adb root" command to restart ADB in root mode, followed by "adb shell" to get a rooted shell; then you can manually push Superuser.apk / su, busybox, OR use SuperOneClick to finish the job for you.

Long guide (for beginners)
    - Download the attached ODIN file and extract the .zip file
    - Download the attached XWKDD, but do NOT extract the .tar file
    - Download and extract SuperOneClick (Some say you should not be using the very latest version 1.9, but 1.5 or so)
    - If you do not have Samsung's KIES 2.0 installed, download and install it. You need it to install the correct USB drivers, so the programs can communicate with the device. Reboot your computer after installation of KIES.

- Make sure your device is in USB debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
    - Reboot your device into download mode: Turn the device off, then power it on again by pressing and holding VolumeDown + Home + Power simultaneously. You will know when you are in download mode, it is really obvious :)
    - Start ODIN
    - Connect the device to your computer using USB
    - Wait a few seconds, the ODIN screen should show you that a device is now connected
    - Make sure that in ODIN NOTHING is checked, except the "Auto reboot" and "F. Reset Time" checkboxes. Press the "PDA" button, and select the "XWKDD_insecure.tar" file.
    - Press "Start". ODIN you should now be flashing the kernel, and the device should reboot.
    - Wait until the device is rebooted, and while still being connected over USB, start SuperOneClick, and press ROOT.
    - Reboot the device
    - Done !

Please post corrections to this guide if you see I made a mistake in it. Remember, I don't actually have an SGS2 so it's hard for me to check :)

Enjoy!

EDIT: Regarding new firmware versions
    Yes, I know there are different firmware versions out there, and currently I only supply a root for KDD. I don't have a device yet, patching a kernel this way takes many hours, make a test, send to somebody, see if it works, wait for reply, re-do from start, etc. It would take me 3 minutes if I had a device. Due to this, I am not making "insecure" versions of any other kernel until I have a device, which I expect will be around the 23rd. So stop asking.

However, what you can do is this:
    - Note in settings -> about which kernel version you have
    - Flash the KDD kernel, and install root
    - Reboot, assure yourself you have root
    - Flash the original kernel back (see next post)
    - Reboot, and you're back on the right kernel, but still have root :)
    ORIGINAL kernels

Attached are a number of original / unmodified kernels

Note that you need to flash the TAR file inside the ZIP file... XDA does allow posting of TARs, but these once are too big, that is why they are ZIPped.
    Updated the first post. Let me know if something in the guide is not 100% correct.
    Loving the dev support already :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
    Skip the PIT file (unless you know you need to use it, just don't), and that sounds about right !