Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,845 Members 50,648 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel][CWM]Fecality I9100 3/7/2012 (GPU Voltage Fix)

Tip us?

teiglin
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Thanks Entropy, I've missed your work since I moved from Infuse over here instead of to I777-land. I do have a question, though--I note the only "nonstandard" I/O scheduler you included was BFQ. Do you find sio/vr problematic, or do they just not provide any benefit from your perspective?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24186

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiglin View Post
Thanks Entropy, I've missed your work since I moved from Infuse over here instead of to I777-land. I do have a question, though--I note the only "nonstandard" I/O scheduler you included was BFQ. Do you find sio/vr problematic, or do they just not provide any benefit from your perspective?
I'm considering adding these - I've found that alternate governors/schedulers often cause more problems than they solve.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

z2k
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for sharing your kernel with us i9100 users Enthropy. I really like your stability+ battery approach. Will be giving the kernel a good go.

coloxim
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Sorry...this kernel is comparible with jkay brightness profile?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 27th February 2012 at 02:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24186

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloxim View Post
Sorry...this kernel is comparible with jkay brightness profile?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk
No - And right now, I am unaware of any kernel that is. As much as I like JKay's work, I believe he lacks understanding of how screen brightness works on the I9100 and I777.

Even JKay is unaware of any kernels that support those profiles. See entry 12 in his FAQ.

To implement additional brightness steps, an additional gamma table for each brightness step needs to be implemented - https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_...ld9040_gamma.h

So until FAQ section 12 has clearly defined (and achievable) requirements for compatibility, or JKay declares a specific kernel compatible in FAQ section 12 of his mod, I won't be doing anything. Creating a custom gamma table entry is not easy as it requires a LOT of tweaking and good colorimeter hardware. Supercurio has done it at high brightness levels to my knowledge, but I don't think he's done it for low brightness levels and I don't think he's added extra gamma tables for additional brightness steps.

Edit: I have seen that Speedmod and Redpill do change the table entries for the lowest two brightness settings - however, they don't add any new bins, so the brightness change is achieved even on JKay profiles that don't supposedly require kernel support. e.g. JKay's "dark, requires kernel support" are pointless because the only kernels that actually provide dimmer minimum backlight do so even with his profiles that don't claim to require custom kernels. (And the "super dark" and "dark" profiles will behave the same regardless of kernel.)

What's interesting is hardcore did it for only two of three available panel types. Either two of Samsung's panel types are brighter than others, or hardcore did this without testing on some panel variants and just thought "the numbers are different, I'll change them". I'll look into playing with this as it would be nice to have lower minimum brightness, but it's somewhat low priority as it's easy to simply make things look like **** if you're not careful.

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true

F3nr1s
Old
Thanks Meter 285
its possible to make your kernel fully compatible with the cmw manager of chainfire
for now some fonctions are desactivate
anyway i m testing it now and all seems to be good

Hannibal226
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3318
So far so good mate.
Batterylife we will see in a day or two but all in all running fine.

Thanks and go ahead with ur work.

CHEERS ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S2 - I9100 with SensatioN Rom!

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 24186

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3nr1s View Post
its possible to make your kernel fully compatible with the cmw manager of chainfire
for now some fonctions are desactivate
anyway i m testing it now and all seems to be good
Others have asked me this - if he has compatibility guidelines posted somewhere, I'll take a look at them.

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khartaras
Old
Thanks Meter 110

Battery in deep sleep is exceptional, 2% lost in 5 hours with WiFi enabled and emails syncing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
google nexus 5 | back to Android after a long while

crazyonins
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Default Facality

weird name for a kernel..or for pretty much anything..dude