[Kernel][CWM]Fecality I9100 3/7/2012 (GPU Voltage Fix)

OP Entropy512

27th February 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 117

597 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyonins

weird name for a kernel..or for pretty much anything..dude

From the man himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Q: What's with the toilet humor of the name?
A: Long ago in the Infuse community, there was a person (lemons) that was starting to do some smali hacks (camera modding and such), and was planning on eventually releasing a ROM. He was a pretty good guy, and had lots of potential. He and others joked that since it was his first attempt, it should be called ****ROM. Sadly, lemons never followed through and just disappeared, so for months, ****ROM never became a reality. Eventually it was realized in the form of a deodexing/porting/basic modding guide for I777 users at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1505685

27th February 2012, 03:10 PM   |  #22  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,468

13,352 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khartaras

Battery in deep sleep is exceptional, 2% lost in 5 hours with WiFi enabled and emails syncing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Pretty consistent with my results. Once you get rid of the XXKI3 wifi PM bug and the BT-AMP bug in XWKK5, you can get amazing life when on wifi. Cell data is a different story - I see drain as high as around 1.5%/hour when my phone is at my desk (very weak signal, so the radio cranks up the power. Nothing the kernel can do about that. )

Another interesting thing - when on wifi and a permanent wakelock is held (try the Wake Lock app), drain is still only around 1.5%/hour.
27th February 2012, 03:15 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 239

1,521 posts
Just flashed with no problems and under volted it a bit. . When flashing i saw it say something about cognition. Is he still about? Design gears is an epic dev! Cognition was the best rom about! No questions asked!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
27th February 2012, 03:42 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 110

228 posts
More
Quote:

Pretty consistent with my results. Once you get rid of the XXKI3 wifi PM bug and the BT-AMP bug in XWKK5, you can get amazing life when on wifi. Cell data is a different story - I see drain as high as around 1.5%/hour when my phone is at my desk (very weak signal, so the radio cranks up the power. Nothing the kernel can do about that. )

Another interesting thing - when on wifi and a permanent wakelock is held (try the Wake Lock app), drain is still only around 1.5%/hour.

I'm on XWLA4. About performance in benchmarks, CF-Bench reported above-average results. Battery life testing will continue, tomorrow I'll report on battery life with detailed BBS logs and what-not. Anything you're trying to pin down we can help find?

Edit: there's a strange bug when unlocking my phone? Sometimes the unlock ring won't appear when I touch the screen. It won't work until I repeatedly lock and unlock the screen. I suspect it has to do with the kernel, but I have been tinkering with vitalij's touchscreen fix. Don't know if it relates, but still.

Last edited by khartaras; 27th February 2012 at 03:51 PM.
27th February 2012, 03:49 PM   |  #25  
Flag Pavia
Thanks Meter: 53

1,489 posts
More
Quote:

No - And right now, I am unaware of any kernel that is. As much as I like JKay's work, I believe he lacks understanding of how screen brightness works on the I9100 and I777.

Even JKay is unaware of any kernels that support those profiles. See entry 12 in his FAQ.

To implement additional brightness steps, an additional gamma table for each brightness step needs to be implemented - https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_...ld9040_gamma.h

So until FAQ section 12 has clearly defined (and achievable) requirements for compatibility, or JKay declares a specific kernel compatible in FAQ section 12 of his mod, I won't be doing anything. Creating a custom gamma table entry is not easy as it requires a LOT of tweaking and good colorimeter hardware. Supercurio has done it at high brightness levels to my knowledge, but I don't think he's done it for low brightness levels and I don't think he's added extra gamma tables for additional brightness steps.

Edit: I have seen that Speedmod and Redpill do change the table entries for the lowest two brightness settings - however, they don't add any new bins, so the brightness change is achieved even on JKay profiles that don't supposedly require kernel support. e.g. JKay's "dark, requires kernel support" are pointless because the only kernels that actually provide dimmer minimum backlight do so even with his profiles that don't claim to require custom kernels. (And the "super dark" and "dark" profiles will behave the same regardless of kernel.)

What's interesting is hardcore did it for only two of three available panel types. Either two of Samsung's panel types are brighter than others, or hardcore did this without testing on some panel variants and just thought "the numbers are different, I'll change them". I'll look into playing with this as it would be nice to have lower minimum brightness, but it's somewhat low priority as it's easy to simply make things look like **** if you're not careful.

Ok..thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk
27th February 2012, 04:30 PM   |  #26  
Flag Owego, NY

13,352 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidkid311

Just flashed with no problems and under volted it a bit. . When flashing i saw it say something about cognition. Is he still about? Design gears is an epic dev! Cognition was the best rom about! No questions asked!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

He was on the I777 for a while - My kernel flash zips thank him for the information on flashing a kernel on an I777. That's been there since October, when the I777 launched. (Flashing a kernel on the Infuse was, honestly, a lot uglier, hence the "no more redbend_ua makes Entropy happy".)

He left the I777 after 2-3 months for the GNex - he wanted to graduate from smali hacks/mods to full-blown source development. (I don't blame him!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khartaras

I'm on XWLA4. About performance in benchmarks, CF-Bench reported above-average results. Battery life testing will continue, tomorrow I'll report on battery life with detailed BBS logs and what-not. Anything you're trying to pin down we can help find?

Edit: there's a strange bug when unlocking my phone? Sometimes the unlock ring won't appear when I touch the screen. It won't work until I repeatedly lock and unlock the screen. I suspect it has to do with the kernel, but I have been tinkering with vitalij's touchscreen fix. Don't know if it relates, but still.

Hmm... That's REALLY strange. A bunch of people reported that when I first went from the I777 codebase to I9100 update3 - All of those reports disappeared when I reverted the touchscreen driver to the I777 one. GM did the same revert with Siyah.

Hmm... However, I may have maintained the I777 #iddefs, while GM might not have. I think that when building for I9100, it may use the I9100 code still. I'll look into this tonight.

Right now, I do not know of any battery life issues in this kernel that affect XWKL1 or XWLA4. The only power management regression I ever had when going from I777 to I9100 update3 was specific to XXKI3, and I now have code that prints alerts to dmesg when that problem occurs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2012, 05:02 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 25

150 posts
Reading your informative posts on Siyah I am tempted to try your kernel. Installed. Thank-you.

Sent from my GT-I9100
27th February 2012, 05:26 PM   |  #28  

228 posts
More
Here's a battery graph with heavy phone use. Browsing the Internet, playing World of Goo and others. Left at 24%.

27th February 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #29  
Flag Owego, NY

13,352 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've primarily been focusing on standby/idle/lowload power management lately, but I may start looking at higher-load PM.

The problem is that there is often not that much can be done - I question whether the arm topology/sched_mc patches do much on a dual-core unit - especially with hotplugging involved. They'll matter much more on a quadcore CPU. I haven't written them off yet, but they've been lower priority due to their questionable benefit (especially when I read them - they seem to contain lots of infrastructure/groundwork for the future, but without actually making significant changes.)

Right now I'm in the process of slowly bringing things back to the I777 2/7 baseline - That release had stability issues for some people so I reverted most patches out and have been readding one at a time, even though I think I already identified the problem patch. Once that's done - I'll look into maybe changing minimum display brightness and CWM Manager 3.0 compatibility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2012, 06:58 PM   |  #30  

228 posts
More
Quote:

I've primarily been focusing on standby/idle/lowload power management lately, but I may start looking at higher-load PM.

The problem is that there is often not that much can be done - I question whether the arm topology/sched_mc patches do much on a dual-core unit - especially with hotplugging involved. They'll matter much more on a quadcore CPU. I haven't written them off yet, but they've been lower priority due to their questionable benefit (especially when I read them - they seem to contain lots of infrastructure/groundwork for the future, but without actually making significant changes.)

Right now I'm in the process of slowly bringing things back to the I777 2/7 baseline - That release had stability issues for some people so I reverted most patches out and have been readding one at a time, even though I think I already identified the problem patch. Once that's done - I'll look into maybe changing minimum display brightness and CWM Manager 3.0 compatibility.

On hotplugging: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=244

I'm not sure if it's really relevant because it's from a GN developer, but hey.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread