5,597,707 Members 34,481 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel][CWM]Fecality I9100 3/7/2012 (GPU Voltage Fix)

Tip us?
 
af974
Old
#41  
af974's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1886
Posts: 4,940
Join Date: Jan 2008
26/02, the last one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khartaras View Post
Weird... Are you running the 2/26 build? Or a different one?
“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” ~ Albert Einstein
 
khartaras
Old
#42  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 228
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
The problem was intermittent - some people (including myself) never experienced it, others had it occasionally, one guy had it happen all the time.

It also affected the ability to touch the screen during phone calls for him.
Strange. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but it does happen very frequently. Oh well, since you have the problem pinned down I guess it's not really a problem any more.
google nexus 5 | back to Android after a long while
 
sachs
Old
#43  
sachs's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 263
Posts: 1,356
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Porto Alegre
La4 ROM....lost smooth, bad touch.



Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
 
Entropy512
Old
#44  
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 23407
Posts: 12,779
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by khartaras View Post
Strange. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but it does happen very frequently. Oh well, since you have the problem pinned down I guess it's not really a problem any more.
We'll see - I THINK I know what it is but I need time to look at the source.

This could be a bit difficult to get working properly, because it is I9100-specific and getting the right combo of #ifdefs could be difficult. Basically - some of the CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT ifdefs may be causing code that should be common to I9100 and I777 to be compiled for I777 only.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
Entropy512
Old
#45  
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 23407
Posts: 12,779
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachs View Post
La4 ROM....lost smooth, bad touch.



Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
No clue what you're saying here... At least one of your complaints is addressed in the FAQ if you're saying what I think you're saying.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
teiglin
Old
#46  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 597
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3nr1s View Post
I dont have any probleme with the circle lockscreen too . i test with clear ram and i have the circle all times
Just to be clear, the issue isn't related to the circle lockscreen, or to any particular lockscreen. The problem is that the phone is slow to become responsive after waking from deep sleep, so it takes a five seconds or so before you can actually unlock the phone.

Entropy, let me know if there are any values or logs I can get you that would help.
 
Entropy512
Old
#47  
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 23407
Posts: 12,779
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiglin View Post
Just to be clear, the issue isn't related to the circle lockscreen, or to any particular lockscreen. The problem is that the phone is slow to become responsive after waking from deep sleep, so it takes a five seconds or so before you can actually unlock the phone.

Entropy, let me know if there are any values or logs I can get you that would help.
I'm going to try and put out a test kernel tonight - given my history with this issue, I think I know the solution and unfortunately this one is next to impossible to get good logs for. And yes - this affected I777 users long before circle lockscreen existed. It happened when I tried to pull in the I9100 update3 touchscreen drivers - I eventually reverted those back to I777. However, I left the I777 ifdefs in there - so when building for I9100, the I9100 code remains.

What I can't figure out is why I9100 users aren't complaining about it left and right with any kernel that uses the I9100 update3 base. (Except Siyah, which uses i777 touchscreen drivers.)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
teiglin
Old
#48  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 597
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
I'm going to try and put out a test kernel tonight - given my history with this issue, I think I know the solution and unfortunately this one is next to impossible to get good logs for. And yes - this affected I777 users long before circle lockscreen existed. It happened when I tried to pull in the I9100 update3 touchscreen drivers - I eventually reverted those back to I777. However, I left the I777 ifdefs in there - so when building for I9100, the I9100 code remains.

What I can't figure out is why I9100 users aren't complaining about it left and right with any kernel that uses the I9100 update3 base. (Except Siyah, which uses i777 touchscreen drivers.)
Cool, I look forward to the test kernel, though I have it in relatively low volume (only four or five times since I flashed the kernel yesterday), so I'm probably not the best test case.

I'm trying to remember when I first started experiencing it. I don't think I've had it happen on pongster's kernel recently, but for a while I was bouncing between his kernel and siyah pretty frequently, just screwing around mostly, so what happened on which kernel is pretty muddled in my head going back more than a week or two. I'm pretty sure it was widely-complained-about for a while, so I'm guessing people besides GM must have also backported the I777 drivers (or found another fix?). I'll have to poke around git tonight to see.
 
Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 27th February 2012 at 11:35 PM.)
#49  
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 23407
Posts: 12,779
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiglin View Post
Cool, I look forward to the test kernel, though I have it in relatively low volume (only four or five times since I flashed the kernel yesterday), so I'm probably not the best test case.

I'm trying to remember when I first started experiencing it. I don't think I've had it happen on pongster's kernel recently, but for a while I was bouncing between his kernel and siyah pretty frequently, just screwing around mostly, so what happened on which kernel is pretty muddled in my head going back more than a week or two. I'm pretty sure it was widely-complained-about for a while, so I'm guessing people besides GM must have also backported the I777 drivers (or found another fix?). I'll have to poke around git tonight to see.
I know GM definitely reverted back to the I777 drivers - His revert was why I reverted my source base. However, since I built for I777 target, my #ifdefs may be slightly different from his - i.e. I think his may enable the I777 code at all times, while mine only enables it when compiling for I777 (since until this week, I only compiled for I777 except for a test kernel I dropped in the VR thread.)

I'm home now, looking at the code.

Edit: Weird, GM left all of the #ifdefs checking for CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT in mxt224_u1.c there - so if you're not having the issue on SiyahKernel, it's not that file. Hmm.

Edit: Same for all CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT items in arch/arm/mach-s5pv310/mach-c1.c

I am wondering if maybe the I9100 community has other workarounds they use for touchscreen issues that just plain don't exist on the I777... Looking through all other touchscreen related commits in Siyah.

Right now the main difference I can find is a difference in the default touch threshold.

Try putting this into an init.d script to see if it changes anything:
Code:
#!/sbin/sh
log "Increasing touchscreen sensitivity"
echo "50" > /sys/devices/virtual/sec/sec_touchscreen/tsp_threshold
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
teiglin
Old
(Last edited by teiglin; 27th February 2012 at 11:54 PM.)
#50  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 597
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Right now the main difference I can find is a difference in the default touch threshold.

Try putting this into an init.d script to see if it changes anything:
Code:
#!/sbin/sh
log "Increasing touchscreen sensitivity"
echo "50" > /sys/devices/virtual/sec/sec_touchscreen/tsp_threshold
Okay, I'll set that and give it a shot (can I just set it or do I actually need to reboot?). You'll have to give me a bit since it doesn't always happen, plus I have to wait long enough to be sure the phone is in deep sleep. For the record, that value was 40 before I changed it.

Since you mention touchscreen sensitivity, I feel I should mention that I use vitalij's TouchScreenTune to shorten blen, though his app doesn't allow setting tsp_threshold. Could the two be related?

Edit: Tried twice now after putting airplane mode on and waiting a couple minutes, didn't happen either time with that tweak. I'll keep it there and let you know, though, since twice is hardly conclusive given the fairly low frequency with which I normally hit this.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes