Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,313 Members 48,252 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel][CWM]Fecality I9100 3/7/2012 (GPU Voltage Fix)

Tip us?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24,349

DONATE TO ME
40? odd... It should default to 70 unless you had another init.d script change it.

And it can be changed on the fly.

That is something interesting - Over here in I9100-land there's all sorts of touchscreen fixes and tweaks. In I777 land, the only time people have ever complained about their touchscreen is when running kernels based on I9100 source.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

teiglin
Old
(Last edited by teiglin; 28th February 2012 at 12:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
40? odd... It should default to 70 unless you had another init.d script change it.

And it can be changed on the fly.

That is something interesting - Over here in I9100-land there's all sorts of touchscreen fixes and tweaks. In I777 land, the only time people have ever complained about their touchscreen is when running kernels based on I9100 source.
Hah, figures. I'll need to poke around my other tweaks--something is definitely setting it to 40, since my changes aren't sticking. I did hit the bug again, by the way, but I went back and looked at the tsp_threshold, and it was 40, despite the fact that I had manually changed it to 50 before turning the screen off.

Edit: It's not TouchScreenTune, and tsp_threshold doesn't even appear in any of my init.d scripts aside from the one I just created. Nevertheless, every time I turn my screen on, the value is set to 40. I have no idea what could be causing this--what is executed when you turn the screen on?

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 24,349

DONATE TO ME
I'm less sure that it's the threshold then, since something is overriding it anyway, it doesn't matter.

I'm wondering if one of the tweak apps you're using is somehow interfering...

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true

teiglin
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'm less sure that it's the threshold then, since something is overriding it anyway, it doesn't matter.

I'm wondering if one of the tweak apps you're using is somehow interfering...
Well, that's why I mentioned TouchScreenTune, as it's the only tweak that I use that (afaik) is doing anything when you turn the screen on. I've turned it off for now, and I will let you know if that removes the issue. My init.d stuff is pretty minimal, no superscripts or anything like that--just the stuff that came with CheckROM (loading cifs, sd readahead, changing nice of kswapd0), plus a tweak for my conservative thresholds.

I poked around a bit more, and it seems tsp_thresholds are set automatically, 40 or 70 when charging, which is consistent with the behavior I'm seeing.

cheewaca
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Thank you for share your kernel, testing it now.

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 28th February 2012 at 01:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24,349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiglin View Post
Well, that's why I mentioned TouchScreenTune, as it's the only tweak that I use that (afaik) is doing anything when you turn the screen on. I've turned it off for now, and I will let you know if that removes the issue. My init.d stuff is pretty minimal, no superscripts or anything like that--just the stuff that came with CheckROM (loading cifs, sd readahead, changing nice of kswapd0), plus a tweak for my conservative thresholds.

I poked around a bit more, and it seems tsp_thresholds are set automatically, 40 or 70 when charging, which is consistent with the behavior I'm seeing.
Hmm, good catch there.

I guess the question is whether khartras is also using touchscreentune - if he is too, then it may cause problems when combined with the I777 touch driver - but then why doesn't Siyah also have the same issues (as it seems to have the same code as far as I can tell, with the exception of possibly changing some defaults. I need to take a second look.)

Edit: I think I found a possible culprit, need to look at SiyahKernel - See https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_...224_u1.c#L3250

On I777, the suspend handler gets called later and the resume handler gets called earlier.

Well, I've found plenty of possible culprits - just no explanation why you didn't have issues in Siyah...

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true

teiglin
Old
(Last edited by teiglin; 28th February 2012 at 01:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hmm, good catch there.

I guess the question is whether khartras is also using touchscreentune - if he is too, then it may cause problems when combined with the I777 touch driver - but then why doesn't Siyah also have the same issues (as it seems to have the same code as far as I can tell, with the exception of possibly changing some defaults. I need to take a second look.)

Edit: I think I found a possible culprit, need to look at SiyahKernel - See https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_...224_u1.c#L3250

On I777, the suspend handler gets called later and the resume handler gets called earlier.
Thanks for your patience on this. Hopefully khartras will weigh in whether he is using TouchScreenTune--I haven't hit the bug since turning it off (including turning the screen on a few times for no reason but to check).

I don't totally understand what the data->early_suspend.level means--it seems like you're saying that setting it to the higher value (of DISABLE_FB+1 instead of BLANK_SCREEN+1) changes when the suspend and resume handlers are called? And that timing may be crossing wires with whatever TouchScreenTune is doing and causing the short hang when waking up/turning the screen on?

Edit: yeah, I'm not sure at all. Missed your edit while I was blindly wading through the various touchscreen edits. I guess it's not surprising that it could be a lot of things.

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 24,349

DONATE TO ME
Yeah. During suspend, the handlers are called in ascending order. During resume - descending order. So on I777, the earlysuspend handler is called later and the lateresume handler is called earlier.

Early suspend and late resume are screen off/on - deep sleep is regular suspend/resume.

As to CWM Manager compatibility - After poking at cfroot's initramfs, my head hurts. Do any other custom kernels support it?

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

teiglin
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yeah. During suspend, the handlers are called in ascending order. During resume - descending order. So on I777, the earlysuspend handler is called later and the lateresume handler is called earlier.

Early suspend and late resume are screen off/on - deep sleep is regular suspend/resume.

As to CWM Manager compatibility - After poking at cfroot's initramfs, my head hurts. Do any other custom kernels support it?
I see, thanks for the explanation.

I thought Siyah supports CWM Manager, and I'm pretty sure RedPill does too. I haven't used the app except to remove yellow triangles, though, so I can't say I've tested it at all.

Also FWIW (not very much), another hour and a half without hitting the wakeup hang with TouchScreenTune off, but I haven't used my phone much.

antt00
Old
Thanks Meter 356
Quote:

Redpill and siyah support chainfire's CWM manager app
Asus P525 (WM5 - WM6) ---> HP Ipaq 612c (WM6.5) ---> HTC HD2 (WM6.5.x - Android) ---> Samsung Galaxy S2 ---> Samsung Note 2 --> Samsung Note 3

Temasek Rom (AOSP 4.4.4) // Temasek Kernel // TSF Shell Launcher