Search This thread

silverfox88

Sep 20, 2009
Santo Domingo
@Gokhan: I got one problem: sometimes CWM and ExTweak unable to recognize what kernel I'm on (although I'm always with Siyah Kernel all the time, never switch kernel since I know this back when using latest GB).

CWM simply saying: unknown kernel. ExTweaks just say that I need to flash Siyah Kernel.

When I reflash the kernel through CWMR, its all OK again.

What cause that, I really don't know.

But, which way do you recommend: CWM zip or ODIN tar?

gokhanmoral posted that is safe to flash tar via odin or the zip with CWM app, not the recovery

Reactions: Crescendo Xenomorph

gokhanmoral

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
@Gokhan: I got one problem: sometimes CWM and ExTweak unable to recognize what kernel I'm on (although I'm always with Siyah Kernel all the time, never switch kernel since I know this back when using latest GB).

CWM simply saying: unknown kernel. ExTweaks just say that I need to flash Siyah Kernel.

When I reflash the kernel through CWMR, its all OK again.

What cause that, I really don't know.

But, which way do you recommend: CWM zip or ODIN tar?

I always use odin method or flash tar with CWM app.
in the early days of development I wasn't providing CWMR zips but the demand was so big that I also made it available.
people from htc world like cwm recovery more.

and about wiping in CWM recovery: there is nothing wrong in that part.
I suspect that device being wiped is being changed unintentionally because of a bug.
so, using cwm recovery wipe or script won't make a difference.
the current cwm recovery in cm9 sources do not have any known bugs in wiping part. it's being used in numerous devices.
the same problem happens with galaxy note leaks, i777 UCLD3 leak and m250l/s/k kernels.
I was just too unlucky because the reason of those problems were believed to be an improperly packed CWM recovery and nobody was thinking that the kernel code had any problem. that m250l (actually all l, s and k sources are the same) which I based my patches on is not a leak and I downloaded it from samsung's official site.

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Gokhan, I've got some (rather unfortunate) battery drain feedback on v3.1 for you:

Last night I flashed v3.1 with a full "cache-dalvik cache-and-reset extweaks profiles" (just as I always do after flashing a new kernel) and this morning, after taking the phone of the charger, I noticed a little increased battery consumption - I took the phone of the charger at exactly 08:00 AM and at approximately 09:55 AM I woke the phone up and activated PowerAmp (at this point the battery was at 92%). At aproximately 10:10 AM I deactivated PowerAmp (battery at 82% and with a severe overheating in the rear camera area.

So to sum up:
(i) From 08:00 AM to ~09:55 AM - The battery went from 100% to 92% (with absolutelly no usage - the phone was supposed to be at sleep)
(ii) From ~09:55 AM to ~10:10 AM - The battery went from 92% to 82% with only PowerAmp running and with an unusual overheating in the rear camera area (battery temp was around 48-52°C).

As a comparison, yesterday (when I was still running on v3.1rc6) I unplugged the phone at around 12:30 PM and by 05:00 PM the battery was still at 95% (which impressed me and made those numbers stick to my head).

I went back to v3.1rc6 at 10:15 AM this morning and everything seems ok (roughly 45 minutes with the battery marker stuck at 79% - with v3.1 it should have decreased 2-3% by now - and battery temp at a solid 26°C - should be at least around 33-35°C with v3.1).

If there's anything I can do, let me know. I'm not at all a programmer/tweaker, but I've been using your Kernel for so long now and I feel if there's anyway I can help, you have but to ask...

Best regards,

Important to go through 2 or 3 battery cycles after flashing new kernel to take care of any calibration issues before judging battery drain. Also, best to check for wake locks using "better battery stats" from the Play Store to see if any apps are keeping device awake and draining battery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

sgunf

Dec 17, 2008
Amongst the mountains
Bieng one of the people who has ended up with a bricked device I would just like to say a very big thank you for your empathy for us but please don't feel guilt. we all take a chance when we flash our devices and i trust all the devs always do their best to make sure it is safe to flash. it is not defeat. it is a learning curve. once i'm back up and running I wouldnt think twice about flashing again.

Best regards,
Kev

This is the right attitude!
I know that one can feel angry looking at his bricked black brick:)D, sorry for the joke, max respect and empathy to all victims of bricked SGS2), but after then, chilling out and reasoning: everytime we flash a kernel we have to keep in mind that it's not 100% safe, and what happened has to be considered a terrible fortuity.
So please don't rage on Gokhan with unhappy pictures as the "coffin" with "killed by siyah" written on it or sentences about not trusting him: he feels quite bad on his own, yet.
Keep up the wonderful work GM! BTW everything is working fine with 3.1, for me!

Last edited:

ilikesamsung

Jun 28, 2011
im having problems connecting to my sch WIFI, ever since rc06 and rc3.1. need to revert back to rc04/05, can someone upload it for me?

Ogy77

Oct 2, 2011
Serbia
I read and search but i am confused,can anybody give me answe,can I now download rc6 from GM site and flash,just difference from 3.1 is issues on CM9 with storage?

DforDesign

Jul 1, 2011
hey guys. I'm offering 10$ for helping me out with cm9, syiah 3.1 and xbox 360 contrller for windows with wireless receiver

cheewaca

Oct 14, 2010
in the early days of development I wasn't providing CWMR zips but the demand was so big that I also made it available.

I suspect that device being wiped is being changed unintentionally because of a bug.
the current cwm recovery in cm9 sources do not have any known bugs in wiping part. it's being used in numerous devices.
the same problem happens with galaxy note leaks, i777 UCLD3 leak and m250l/s/k kernels.
I was just too unlucky because the reason of those problems were believed to be an improperly packed CWM recovery and nobody was thinking that the kernel code had any problem. that m250l (actually all l, s and k sources are the same) which I based my patches on is not a leak and I downloaded it from samsung's official site.

It is strange that the problem is due to CWMr.zip. I know a case of brick in which she suffered after installing the korean rc6 by CWM app. Once installed the rc6 had been restarted with the intention of installing the nigthly of 22 and when she wipe data factory has been bricked.

Another strange thing happened to me with that version is that most of the time after switching to another kernel from that version did not come often to reset the screen everything was sometimes striped color and other white and gray and had to restart with the power button.

darkgoon3r96

Sep 19, 2010
Important to go through 2 or 3 battery cycles after flashing new kernel to take care of any calibration issues before judging battery drain. Also, best to check for wake locks using "better battery stats" from the Play Store to see if any apps are keeping device awake and draining battery.

Charge cycles don't make any difference, the only problem he is having is wake locks. There is no way to calibrate the chips in our batteries, so charge cycles won't make any difference

gokhanmoral posted that is safe to flash tar via odin or the zip with CWM app, not the recovery

Thanks for the advice... :D

Yeah, I got this problem 5 times already (4 with my phone, 1 with my fiance's)... I thought my phone was broken (dead flash chip or something like that), since no way the kernel is gone by itself. Then just now my fiance's phone also the same, then mine again.

I'll reflash it via mobileODIN then... :p

noobsgs2

Jul 2, 2011
So what's the differences between the very old rc6 which was 3.0.15 (not korean) and the new rc6? new one is updated to 3.0.28 + 3.1 changes?

ellimist87

Apr 22, 2011
Klang
On latest rc6 (post korean source) and 3.1, I'm missing ondemand suspend freq in extweaks (don't see it in system as well)

Anyone facing the same thing or it's just me? A fellow forumer (on another forum) confirmed the same as well on 3.1 iirc

MSAKK

Apr 11, 2012
Cairo
"No externel storage available" when trying to access gallery or using camera, I don't have sd card.
What's wrong?

gokhanmoral

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
On latest rc6 (post korean source) and 3.1, I'm missing ondemand suspend freq in extweaks (don't see it in system as well)

Anyone facing the same thing or it's just me? A fellow forumer (on another forum) confirmed the same as well on 3.1 iirc

right, it is removed.
I will introduce system-wide limits on suspend frequencies later.
I removed all ondemandx and intellidemand changes from the ondemand governor.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    please leave non-dev related posts here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1658647

siyahkernel-ics-wide1.png

Features:
    • based on JB sources
    • DISABLED CAP_ERASE (No superbrick bug)
    • All-in-1kernel because it supports CM9, CM10, Samsung, MIUI and Boot-to-Gecko (B2G) ROMs with a single kernel image. (no Sense4all support)
    • Dual booting support for all supported ROM types. See droidphile's post for Dual Booting FAQ
    • Custom CWM touch recovery with swipe gestures and double-tap selection
    • 6-steps CPU freq
    • 5-step GPU frequency levels. VPLL Mode to have additional frequency steps. defaults frequencies: 66-108-166-267-330.
    • Auto-root. You can also remove root via STweaks app and install it without rebooting your phone again. Auto-root can be disabled as well.
    • CPU Overclock/Undervolt support (we have two interfaces for that. both of them are defacto standard)
    • Tweakable vitalij's value (set to 5 as default)
    • Adjustable touchpad led brightness
    • Fixed fuelalert wakelocks
    • You can completely disable android logger using STweaks app
    • Faster charging for misc and USB modes. There are 3 modes (AC, Misc, USB) and normally last two of them support only slow charging. You can have charging speed of AC by increasing it (especially user while charging in car or using USB port)
    • Cpu governor optimizations
    • Gpu voltage, clock and stepcount interfaces (GPU Overclock/Undervolt)
    • Screen brightness curve settings with original panel gamma values. panel values unchanged, so you will get stock colors and will be able to use supercurio's voodoo display app when it is released. brightness modification will only change auto-brightness response.
    • BLN support both for Samsung and CM ROMs (you can use STweaks, Nstools or BLNControl app from the market to enable it)
    • Breathing or Blinking effect for BLN. (Make sure you don't enable blinking in any other BLN app) Use STweaks to select one of them.
    • Better touch sensitivity
    • Available CPU Governors: Pegasusq (default), Ondemand, Lulzactive, SmartassV2, Interactive and Conservative, Performance, Userspace, Powersave
    • CIFS as module
    • Available I/O schedulers: CFQ (default), noop, Deadline, SIO, V(R)
    • J4FS as module
    • ARM topology support (SCHED_MC)
    • Automatic EFS Backup
    • Lots of I/O tweaks and filesystem optimizations via some parts of thunderbolt scripts.
    • USB Mass Storage mode is working in CWM Touch Recovery and you can mount both internal and external sdcard as a disk drive
    • NTFS automounting for USB sticks. When you plug in an NTFS formatted USB flash it will be automatically mounted to /mnt/ntfs folder.
    • USB mouse and keyboard support
    • built-in profile support with default, battery and performance presets (you can change them in CWM Recovery). Even using everything default will save you a lot of battery juice.
    • Eargasm for headphone amplification (in STweaks) as free Voodoo Louder replacement
    • Almost everything is configurable such as scheduler features, hotplug thresholds, GPU frequencies, voltages, arm topology modes... and they are configurable via simple and free STweaks app which is embedded in the kernel and soon in Google Play & Opensource
    • Adjustable mDNIe settings
    • optional sharpness tweaks from hardcore
    • mDNIe negative effect toggle with home button (press it four times)
    • Touch gesture support by Tungstwenty. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831254)
    • BLNWW (BLN Without Wakelock)
    • Slide2Wake (originally by Fluxi)

More to come...

Known Problems:
    • no known problems yet

Thanks To:

• Chainfire, Codeworkx, Arighi, Tegrak, Vitalij, Entropy512, Netarchy, koush, Creams, sk8erwitskil, hardcore, Pikachu, myfluxi, Tungstwenty
    • This part will be expanded. most of the patches I applied are coded by someone else. please remind me if I forget to give credits to anybody..

IRC support and chat:
    Server: irc.FreeNode.net
    Channel: #siyah-kernel
    web client: http://siyah.twosx.net/ (thanks to omniwolf)
    Changelog:

See http://www.gokhanmoral.com/ for changelog.

You can find the sources at http://github.com/gokhanmoral/siyahkernel3
    and initramfs at http://github.com/gokhanmoral/initramfs3

Todo:
    these are my future plans and some of them are dreams only...
    • apply chargecurrent modifications even if the cable is connected on boot
    • add optional teamwin recovery
    • make dual-boot timeout configurable
    • implement BFN (BackFlashNotification)
    • scheduling for BLN
    • organize recovery menu items
    • higher polling rate for light sensor
    • remap mouse right button to back button
    • exfat support
    • fix blnww battery drain issue (may not be possible)
    • implement dual-booting with GB+ICS ROMs
    • faster switch between first and second ROMs without needing to reboot if possible.

troubleshooting

siyahkernel-ics-wide1.png

READ THESE FIRST

• Never report any bugs to CM9/CM10 threads if you use it together with SiyahKernel
    • Do not ask questions to me directly. This is a common thread, not my personal inbox. Ask your questions in the thread and do not target them to anyone.
    • Do not expect answers to all your questions. There are some questions which nobody knows the answer of.
    • Do not forget that this is a development thread. There is another thread in general section for those who wants to discuss battery life and chats. If your post does not include a feature request, bug report or suggestion it should be posted to the other thread.
    • No ETA for new version. Even if I sometimes talk about release dates those may change and they change for some good reason or because of my real-life obligations.
    • Make use of "Search this Thread -> Advanced Search"
    • Never ever discuss anything deep-sleep related in this thread. I do not make modifications to prevent sleep and 99% of deep sleep problems are application/ROM related. discuss it in general section. I do not want any positive ("this kernel sleeps like a baby") or negative ("There is a big problem with deep sleep. Please fix it") messages in my development thread.
    • If you do not provide details about your configuration and settings nobody can help you or nobody will care about your problem/bug report. The problems without details (ROM, settings, preferably the version that the problem first happened or the one that you don't experience the problem) will be ignored.
    • Never ever report any SOD issues if you are undervolting/overclocking and make sure you attach last_kmsg log. If you don't know what it is report the problem to the other thread because one more post without any useful information on dev thread will help noone including yourself.

FAQ:

Q: I am having some random lockups with some apps
    A: try removing root by using STweaks app and restart.

Q: What is the difference between STweaks and ExTweaks?
    A: Both have similar functionality. ExTweak is Xan's implementation of the UCI interface (which is designed by Xan and me with the helps of AndreiLux and implemented in the kernel as open scripts by me) and STweaks is mine. I was hoping Xan would release the sources of ExTweaks (without profile support) but he changed his mind and I decided to open STweaks. Soon they will have almost identical functionality, so you can use whichever you like.

Q: Does this kernel work on XXXXXX-ROM?
    A: If the ROM is based on Samsung Stock ICS Rom LPQ or newer, it should. Otherwise, search the thread... If you cannot find any reference to that ROM, try the kernel. You won't lose anything by trying this kernel. Worst case scenario is to reflash your previous kernel or ROM. You can backup your previous kernel with Hellcat's k-tool from the market.

Q: Where is CM9, MIUI or Samsung ROM versions?
    A: There is only one version. Both ROMs are supported with a single kernel image.

Q: What is the best settings?
    A: It is the one you try yourself and like.

Q: I have just lost 20-30% battery by just rebooting/flashing the kernel. Is it a bug?
    A: No. It happens because of our fuel gauge chip which doesn't require calibration goes crazy sometimes. It is not related with kernel or ROM. Just reset fuel gauge chip using STweaks app (or remove the battery and wait 3 minutes) and then charge your phone.

Q: BLN doesn't work.
    A: you need to enable it in stweaks or BLN app. if you have more than one app to configure bln make sure all of them use the same settings.

Q: BLN works in test mode but it doesn't work otherwise.
    A: if test mode works you should blame the apps. Stock messaging and email apps may not support BLN and in some other applications you may need to enable notifications. Either find another application or change your ROM.

Q: Can I use breathing effect without using BLN?
    A: for now, breathing effect only works in BLN. There is no way of using it otherwise.

Q: I need to disable and re-enable BLN in stweaks to get it working again. What is the problem?
    A: You may have another BLN related application (BLNapp, nstools, or a script) which disables BLN after stweaks apply the setting at early boot stage. you have to either uninstall that app or enable BLN in that app as well.

closing the thread once again...

I don't want to piss the mods again because this thread attracts too many people.
    most of them misinterpret the "this is a development thread" statement and use the thread for their self-development purposes.

There are very few people who give useful feedback and suggestions and I talk to them over gtalk, email or PMs anyway.

greetings :)