Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,676 Members 51,489 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Galaxy S II Overclocked to 1.5GHz: 4000+ in Quadrant!

Tip us?

coolbho3000
Old
(Last edited by coolbho3000; 12th May 2011 at 07:03 AM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 758
Default [MOD] Galaxy S II Overclocked to 1.5GHz: 4000+ in Quadrant!

I have successfully overclocked the new Samsung Galaxy S II to 1.504GHz. This speed is enough to allow it to achieve really high benchmark scores like over 4000 points in Quadrant! 1.5GHz is a 25% overclock and makes this fast phone even faster and snappier in day to day usage.

Instructions:
1. You'll need the latest version of odin3 and the USB drivers for Windows. jutley's post on debranding the phone has links to both: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1064894
2. Grab the kernel. It is a tar file for odin with the overclocked kernel and a initramfs with proper modules for the kernel: http://setcpu.com/files/galaxysii_oc_v1.tar
3. Reboot the phone into download mode using ADB:
adb reboot download
4. Flash the kernel using odin3 by placing the tar file in the PDA section and pressing "Start."
5. The phone will reboot automatically.
6. Use SuperOneClick to root your phone if you haven't already. ADB should have root access with this kernel so it'll just work.
7. Grab SetCPU and try 1.504GHz.

Source code (with relevant commit for the overclock. I also enabled the interactive governor in the config): https://github.com/coolbho3k/galaxysii_oc

I haven't gone crazy on the voltages - 1.504GHz is stable at 1375mV on my device. Depending on your device, there may be even more headroom. I've gotten speeds of up to 2GHz to boot with instability (my unstable 1.8GHz Linpack run is currently in the Linpack top 10), but at very high voltages and temperatures. Leave it up to other developers to give you higher/more dangerous frequencies and voltages. If you stress the CPU a ton the phone will become hot to touch (though it does to a certain extent even at stock frequencies - there is not much thermal insulation between the processor and your hands in such a thin phone).

Current features in this kernel: Added 1.504GHz overclocking step (default frequency is still 1.2GHz for safety - use SetCPU to safely raise the frequency) and relevant modifications, 800MHz sleep death fix, interactive governor, ro.secure = 0.

The usual disclaimers apply here. Only do this if you know what you're doing. Though the long term stability/reliability of similar overclocks on other Android based ARM devices is known, this software is provided with no warranty, and I can't be held responsible if you fry your device.

Video:

A 1.504MHz overclock:

...breaks over 4000 points in Quadrant:

...and almost 60 MFLOPS in Linpack:

Since Linpack and Quadrant aren't (sufficiently?) multithreaded, you won't see that much improvement over single core Cortex A8 devices at the same clock. But these are dual core phones!

Developers: keep in mind that the Galaxy S II source currently "fixes" voltages on this revision of the Exynos to be 25mV less than what is in the table. Upon boot, the driver will actually print the real voltages at each level (look for ASV voltage_table in the kernel log) if you don't know which chipset revision a particular phone has. The overclock itself is controlled in the s5pv310_apll_pms_table.

Enjoy!
Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
Control your Android phone's CPU! SetCPU for Root Users
Follow me on Twitter!

Like my work? Buy SetCPU on the market or buy me some [insert drink here].
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to coolbho3000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samjpullen
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Damn .........
Current device - HTC One

www.youtube.com/samjpullen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samjpullen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TFJ4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This is when I really wish I had a SGS2. Can't wait till it comes to American shores, great work coolbho, see you on Engadget tomorrow..
G1>Nexus One>G2>iPhone 4>Inspire 4G>iPhone 4S>Galaxy Nexus>Samsung Galaxy SIII>iPhone 5>Note 2>HTC One>Nexus 5

intruda119
Old
Thanks Meter 144
OMG already? I was wondering when this would happen. God bless you man.
Phones: Current-Galaxy s2 Skyrocket.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1023825
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1043880&page=2

As buyer:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1024138

These are just some. Only if people would leave feedback. Would be nice.

slyydrr
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Wonderful work man. Can't get Odin to download on my home rig so I'll be playing around w/ this tomorrow at the office With overclocking already here and the inevitable kernel optimizations to come, this phone is truly going to be the beast everyone suspects.
Device: Nexus 4

vanahaim
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Thanks man!
..and what about undervolting?

DocRambone
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2613

DONATE TO ME
WOW, nice work
Thanks!

cmd512
Old
Thanks Meter 695
Holy crap, nice work! How much hotter is it getting in the back of the phone at 1.5ghz?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9500
ROM:
Uncharted Rom V4 [I9500XXUGNG3] Kernel: Perseus alpha19.1
Other Devices: Google Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300
AWD Dyno Pull CQuartz+Victoria Concours Wax

Nitroz
Old
Thanks Meter 1866

DONATE TO ME
Very good job here mate. It's about time somebody attempted to overclock such a sweet phone.
I will flash this with Odin tonight.
Again, great job & thanks
-Phone-HTC One/Galaxy S4 - i9505
-ROM-TrickDroid/Stock Deodexed
-Theme-Stock/Stock...for now

My Work
-Black Exodus (Theme Chooser)
-Ash (Theme Chooser)
-Graze (Work in Progress)
-Gingerbread Theme (Port)

rovex
Old