Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Open-Source Cross-Platform Flashing Suite (1.3.2 Now Available)

Tip us?

Benjamin Dobell
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
Heimdall 1.2.0 command line binaries are now available. Debian 32-bit, Debian 64-bit, Windows and OS X (universal) are all available.
Heimdall - Open-Source Cross-Platform Galaxy S Firmware Flashing Software
[LISTING] Firmware with Fixed (OS X Compatible) Secondary Bootloader (Sbl.bin)
The Junkheap Experimental Device Donations

If any of my work interests you and you'd like to support me or help cover the cost of development, donations are very much appreciated.

Google Plus: +Benjamin Dobell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Dobell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Benjamin Dobell
Old
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iedemon View Post
Hey Ben,

Do you think its possible to make backups of firmware using this tool? I think it'd be good for those who wants to have carrier-branded ROMS backed up for warranty purposes.
Sorry, I missed this post.

Heimdall has theoretically supported dumping of firmware for quite some time. However all the devices I've ever tested it with mostly send back junk data and eventually stop responding altogether (requiring a manual reboot). As far as I can tell this is simply a result of the secondary bootloaders on devices just not supporting the functionality, however it's possible that the functionality has been finished/fixed for the SGS2.

If someone wants to test out dumping when they test out flashing that would be great. If so I recommend you enable the verbose switch so you have a better idea of what is going on.

If any of my work interests you and you'd like to support me or help cover the cost of development, donations are very much appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benjamin Dobell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aussiebum
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Dobell View Post
Heimdall 1.2.0 command line binaries are now available. Debian 32-bit, Debian 64-bit, Windows and OS X (universal) are all available.
Nice, thanks! Would this (theoretically) work with the GUI from v1.1?
------------------------------------------------
Nexus 10 -> Sabermod + KTManta kernel

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -> Stock MJ7 rooted

Samsung Galaxy NOTE II -> wanam lite stock something + devil kernel 4.3

Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 - Overcome 4 @ 1.2ghz

HTC HD2 -> pdaimatejam WP7.5 Mango rom v7.8

Benjamin Dobell
Old
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebum View Post
Nice, thanks! Would this (theoretically) work with the GUI from v1.1?
Yeah, you obviously won't be able to use any functionality that isn't available from the GUI though. Because the SGS2 has a few different partitions that aren't accessible from Heimdall Frontend you won't be able to flash to them, however you can still flash kernels etc. no problems.

Benjamin Dobell
Old
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
OS X users, you will need to download the latest package again. The binaries are the same but I had forgotten to update the kext so that "the interface could be claimed".

winst
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Code:
Select Code
$ heimdall print-pit

Heimdall v1.0.2b, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Failed to detect compatible device
I installed the latest one in OS X 10.6, restarted, and got the above result. Note that running "adb devices" does show up my SGSII properly.

elban
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 587

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
Code:
Select Code
$ heimdall print-pit

Heimdall v1.0.2b, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Failed to detect compatible device
I installed the latest one in OS X 10.6, restarted, and got the above result. Note that running "adb devices" does show up my SGSII properly.
is your phone in download mode?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
Elban - OPByte
Download faster with Super Download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1667025
Try my Drivers Widget: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1209915
Free dropbox account with bonus space: http://db.tt/crYnXo3

jps1974
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I tried print-pit and dump and ended up with a bunch of "Error -7 whilst receiving packet." print-pit seemed to work fine but was unable to end the session.

Find verbose logs here:
print-pit
dump

For obvious reasons, I'm a little hesitant to try flashing anything
Devices: Motorola Xoom | Point Of View Mobii Tegra 3G Tablet (P10AN01 / Advent Vega clone) | Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 | Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 | Google Galaxy Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to jps1974 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Benjamin Dobell
Old
(Last edited by Benjamin Dobell; 2nd June 2011 at 09:51 AM.) Reason: Fixed several typos.
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1974 View Post
I tried print-pit and dump and ended up with a bunch of "Error -7 whilst receiving packet." print-pit seemed to work fine but was unable to end the session.

Find verbose logs here:
print-pit
dump
Thanks for the details, much appreciated.

The dump log doesn't really surprise me, it's actually better than how it fails on Galaxy S. The Galaxy S downloads a heap (megabytes) of junk, I guess that it's good that it fails immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1974 View Post
For obvious reasons, I'm a little hesitant to try flashing anything
Haha, no worries.

A few questions though:
  • Does your device reboot after the PIT information is displayed?
  • When you reboot does the phone boot normally or is the connect phone to PC screen displayed?
  • Does "heimdall close-pc-screen" also fail to end the session?

If your device boots up fine (no connect to PC screen) then that should mean the end session packet was received (and interpreted) by your phone no problems. If that's the case then it's possible Samsung have just changed the protocol so no response is expected. It never really made sense to me that you've essentially told the phone you're done and then you still send it a reboot packet.

Alternatively the syntax to end a session may have changed slightly. Someone mentioned a flash counter, maybe I'm supposed to send a packet to update the counter (although I'd rather not anyway).

Without a SGS2 I'm unable to investigate this myself but if someone is able to get me a detailed USB log of flashing with Odin or Kies then I could sort it out. I literally need the 1s and 0s sent to/from the phone. If not then donations towards getting me a SGS2 would be immensely helpful. Thanks again to those of you who have donated.

EDIT: Doh, I just realised I spelt "successful" wrong when Heimdall downloads a PIT file

jps1974
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Well, I grew some balls and tried a full flash - worked just fine

To answer your questions:

Quote:
Does your device reboot after the PIT information is displayed
Nope
Quote:
When you reboot does the phone boot normally or is the connect phone to PC screen displayed?
Boots up normally
Quote:
Does "heimdall close-pc-screen" also fail to end the session?
Yes, see here
Quote:
Without a SGS2 I'm unable to investigate this myself but if someone is able to get me detailed USB log of flashing with Odin or Kies then I could sort it out, I literally need the 1s and 0s sent to/from the phone. If not then donations towards getting me a SGS2 would be immensely helpful. Thanks again to those of you who have donated.
I made a small donation towards your new device, but I'll be happy to help you out if you give me some instructions

By the way, I have to use sudo, otherwise I get this:

Code:
Select Code
Failed to access device. Error: -3
Thanks for all your work!
Devices: Motorola Xoom | Point Of View Mobii Tegra 3G Tablet (P10AN01 / Advent Vega clone) | Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 | Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 | Google Galaxy Nexus

Tags
heimdall, odin