[APP] GB/ICS Driving mode widget

Search This thread

hirak99

Oct 10, 2011
Hi all,

Galaxy S2 (update: also Galaxy S3) has a feature that can read out name of people who are calling you, or who sends you a message, as it happens. It's called Driving Mode and can be accessed through the settings.

Have been looking for a stand alone widget for this for a long time but didn't find any. Hence I made one... a widget that allows you to switch Driving Mode on/off with a touch.

Attached herewith :)

Features -
1. Economic in space - smaller than VLingo driving widget, which takes up 1x3 blocks.
2. As you remove the last instance of the widget, the background service automatically unloads. Does not use up RAM unnecessarily if you don't plan to use it, even if you keep it installed.
3. Does not depend on VLingo Voice Commands, if you uninstall it you can still use this.

v1.2 (2012-07-12) -
Ability to control this with 3rd party apps like Llama using Intents.
New icon.

Download
It is recommended that you download the widget from an appstore like Google Play (links are below), so that you will get the automatic updates.
Google Play - Download free version from Google Play
Google Play (Donate) - Download the donate version from Google Play

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-03-24-09-07-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-24-09-07-05.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4,371
  • Screenshot_2012-03-24-09-07-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-24-09-07-27.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,829
  • DrivingModeWidget12_Standard.apk
    22.5 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
What's the difference between this and the voice widget which has driving mode on/off?

uploadfromtaptalk1332438559815.jpg

Edit: just re-read your post and noticed you wanted a stand alone widget. Installed your version and it's basic. Just a green light (on/off) which is quite handy and space saving. Especially for me on sslauncher where widgets can be placed anywhere.

Good stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Last edited:

hirak99

Oct 10, 2011
What's the difference between this and the voice widget which has driving mode on/off?

View attachment 960113

Edit: just re-read your post and noticed you wanted a stand alone widget. Installed your version and it's basic. Just a green light (on/off) which is quite handy and space saving. Especially for me on sslauncher where widgets can be placed anywhere.

Good stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Yes... I uninstalled VLingo (or Voice Commands) since from time to time I would accidentally double tap the home button, and irrespective of the phone being in silent mode, there it would come - speaking aloud "What would you like to do?"

Unfortunately the widget in your screenshot also goes away if I uninstall vlingo. That's when I missed the driving mode widget... Well, not anymore :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2009
Sintra
I have easily installed in my Galaxy S II on other page, because home page is full and there is no space for the tinny green spot.
When driving mode is on, what can I profit ? What's the use of it ?
Many tks. for your efforts.
By the way, will it work on the coming 4.0 ?:confused:

rcb_biep

Feb 17, 2008
Hi Hirak99,

Great replacement for that oversized Android widget! Thanks!!

A small question, I'm using Llama (location based profile switching) to automatically switch a number of things. I would like to automatically activate the driving mode (when my bluetooth carkit connects).
In order to automate the process Llama "activates" an Android intent.
Therefore I'm looking for the following info regarding your widget:
- Intent send mode: start activity, start service or broadcast?
- package name: com.arnab.drivingmode (?)
- class name: ?
- action: ?

For example: I had an app where only the "action" had to be filled in: "package name".widget.CLICK

If you don't mind I will inform the developer of Llama and maybe he will include the "drivingmode" intent in Llama.

Thanks in advance!

Bart

hirak99

Oct 10, 2011
Hi Hirak99,

A small question, I'm using Llama (location based profile switching) to automatically switch a number of things. I would like to automatically activate the driving mode (when my bluetooth carkit connects).

For example: I had an app where only the "action" had to be filled in: "package name".widget.CLICK

If you don't mind I will inform the developer of Llama and maybe he will include the "drivingmode" intent in Llama.

Thanks in advance!

Bart

I like the description of Llama, will check it out myself.

Here's the source code I am using myself for the intent to be broadcast -

Intent intent = new Intent(context, DWidget.class);
intent.setAction("_click_handler");
PendingIntent pendingIntent = PendingIntent.getBroadcast(context, 0, intent, PendingIntent.FLAG_UPDATE_CURRENT);

So for Llama, you could try the following values -
1. Intentmode - Broadcast
2. Package - com.arnab.drivingmode
3. Class - N/A (broadcast intents should go to all classes)
4. Action - "_click_handler"

Note that
1) This will only toggle the driving mode. But if this works, I can modify it to listen to other intent actions to definitively turn on or off.
2) This will probably work only when the widget is shown. I have kept a count of number of widgets on display, and made the service unload if no widget is shown to release memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: SNDK_ar

hirak99

Oct 10, 2011
Just added new version - will automatically turn on driving mode as you connect to bluetooth taking your idea. You should see a toast confirming it when you connect to bluetooth, only if you are using the widget and the driving mode was off when you connect.

If you use it let me know your feedback :)

Last edited:

rcb_biep

Feb 17, 2008
Many thanks!
Llama isn't responding to the command, now I've tried your new version instead.
It work perfectly without Llama!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

daviejam

Apr 22, 2011
Just installed this. Great idea! I was going to request the bluetooth feature until I noticed you had already been asked and solved.

Great work and thank you.

LuvinN1

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks mate. Great app. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

brandobean

Dec 22, 2010
I noticed the this driving mode widget turn on the phone's ability to announce incoming caller and texted names but doesn't read the message aloud. On my Samsung epic Vlingo in driving mode would read the message body. Vlingo on the SII doesn't appear to do that? Is there anyway to have it do so? Just reading the sender isn't much use if I don't know what they sent :)

hirak99

Oct 10, 2011
I noticed the this driving mode widget turn on the phone's ability to announce incoming caller and texted names but doesn't read the message aloud. On my Samsung epic Vlingo in driving mode would read the message body. Vlingo on the SII doesn't appear to do that? Is there anyway to have it do so? Just reading the sender isn't much use if I don't know what they sent :)

Yeah I'd like that too. Unfortunately this phone doesn't seem to support it. You can check all the options in Settings - Language and input - Text to speech - Driving mode options. Strangely enough the message readout option's description states that full messages are read, though it doesn't seem to happen.

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
Hey man, I was looking at your app and I find it awesome!! I have the Galaxy S3 (US Version) and it works like a charm through the widget. The problem is that the bluetooth portion doesn't work.

I would also like to be able to toggle this setting via Tasker, as someone tried earlier.

Do you know what the Action Intent or Component Intent should look like. I tried a bunch of combinations without any luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Galaxy S2 (update: also Galaxy S3) has a feature that can read out name of people who are calling you, or who sends you a message, as it happens. It's called Driving Mode and can be accessed through the settings.

Have been looking for a stand alone widget for this for a long time but didn't find any. Hence I made one... a widget that allows you to switch Driving Mode on/off with a touch.

Attached herewith :)

Features -
    1. Economic in space - smaller than VLingo driving widget, which takes up 1x3 blocks.
    2. As you remove the last instance of the widget, the background service automatically unloads. Does not use up RAM unnecessarily if you don't plan to use it, even if you keep it installed.
    3. Does not depend on VLingo Voice Commands, if you uninstall it you can still use this.

v1.2 (2012-07-12) -
    Ability to control this with 3rd party apps like Llama using Intents.
    New icon.

Download
    It is recommended that you download the widget from an appstore like Google Play (links are below), so that you will get the automatic updates.
    Google Play - Download free version from Google Play
    Google Play (Donate) - Download the donate version from Google Play

Cheers
    Just added new version - will automatically turn on driving mode as you connect to bluetooth taking your idea. You should see a toast confirming it when you connect to bluetooth, only if you are using the widget and the driving mode was off when you connect.

If you use it let me know your feedback :)
    Tasker/NFC Interfacing

I agree.. I too would like a step by step as to how I could trigger the Driving Mode on and off feature in Tasker.. As I have seen that Pent (Author of the Tasker Program) has stated that Tasker still doesn't have access to that option. And having searched around quite a bit there are no other applications that Activates the S3 Driving Mode application unlike your program.. I have tried searching as to how its to be done but I am just not as Technically sound to pull off such a task.. Thanks in Advance..

The instructions for Tasker are written in the driving mode app if you launch it. Thanks again to the developer for the widget. Definitely purchasing it now that I got it working with an NFC tag. Anyway, the following is what I got to work on my Galaxy S3.

Create a task. I made 1 for turning driving mode off and 1 for turning driving mode on. Add action -> Misc -> Send Intent. The following is what I entered in each field, without the quotes. If the field isn't listed, I left it blank.

Action - '_drv_on' or '_drv_off' depending on which task you are making
    Cat - 'None'
    Package - 'com.arnab.drivingmode'
    Class - 'com.arnab.drivingmode.DWidget'
    Target - 'Broadcast Receiver'

I then used NFC Task Launcher to create the NFC tag. You can choose 'New Tag' -> 'New Task' -> 'Add Action' -> 'Tasker' -> 'Tasker Task' and then select one of the two tasks you just created from the popup menu. I then made a switch tag so that the first time the tag is scanned, driving mode is turned on along with some other settings. If the tag is scanned again, driving mode is turned off along with changing some other settings.
    Hi Hirak99,

Thanks in advance!

Bart

I like the description of Llama, will check it out myself.

Here's the source code I am using myself for the intent to be broadcast -

Intent intent = new Intent(context, DWidget.class);
    intent.setAction("_click_handler");
    PendingIntent pendingIntent = PendingIntent.getBroadcast(context, 0, intent, PendingIntent.FLAG_UPDATE_CURRENT);

So for Llama, you could try the following values -
    1. Intentmode - Broadcast
    2. Package - com.arnab.drivingmode
    3. Class - N/A (broadcast intents should go to all classes)
    4. Action - "_click_handler"

Note that
    1) This will only toggle the driving mode. But if this works, I can modify it to listen to other intent actions to definitively turn on or off.
    2) This will probably work only when the widget is shown. I have kept a count of number of widgets on display, and made the service unload if no widget is shown to release memory.
    I'm glad it helped.