5,605,373 Members 40,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] [Testers Needed] Prevent Full Charge Notification (Stops 3am wake-up call =D)

Tip us?

pulser_g2
Old
(Last edited by pulser_g2; 9th May 2011 at 11:14 PM.)
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 10599
Update. This has been tested and found to work by people with the phone to test with...

So , as many of you found out, when you get a Galaxy S phone, you get this...

Alas, I have something to test. I'm not about much today, and I don't have a GS II, so it comes untested, and unwarranted. If this causes a large explosion near you, not my problem. Likewise (and somewhat more likely), if this causes it to wake you up constantly, or to not boot, then just push the old file back via ADB, or re-ODIN back to stock.

This should remove the annoying "OMFG OMFG guess what?", that your phone presents to you at approximately 3am each morning. It should then remain quiet, merely content that it is fully charged, without having to alert the universe to that fact.

So, if you wanna try it, fire away. Rename /system/app/SystemUI.apk and /system/app/SystemUI.odex to have the ".old" extension added on the end, and then copy in this new APK to that same folder. Then reboot your phone, and cross your fingers for good luck And if it all boots up OK, then you can try popping it back on the charger and see if the neighbourhood gets woken up now...

If it works, please post. If it doesn't, please post that too I don't usually release things without testing on my own phone first, but o2 seem to want to infuriate you guys with this noise while my order sits around somewhere in a pile.

Tl;dr?

Pop this into /system/app, rename the old ones, so you have backup. Reboot, see what happens and if the alert disappears. If not, use ADB shell to remove the new file and rename the old ones. I would suggest using adb to push the apk like so...

<remount filesystem etc>
adb shell
cd /system/app
mv SystemUI.apk SystemUI.apk.old
mv SystemUI.odex SystemUI.odex.old
exit
<back to the windows prompt now>
adb push SystemUI.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk
<remount it read only, and reboot with fingers crossed>

Reverse the rename, and delete this NEW apk to undo.

The file is at this page so that if it causes trouble, someone else can pull the download while I'm not around

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

soraxd
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 614

DONATE TO ME
as soon as I renamed systemui.apk to the .old extension I started getting crazy FC popups, had to play with it a while just to rename it back to systemui.apk.. so I wasn't able to get far enough to install the modded version

note this was with root explorer, don't have access to a comp atm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

pulser_g2
Old
Thanks Meter 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraxd View Post
as soon as I renamed systemui.apk to the .old extension I started getting crazy FC popups, had to play with it a while just to rename it back to systemui.apk.. so I wasn't able to get far enough to install the modded version

note this was with root explorer, don't have access to a comp atm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
Yeah, you will need to use ADB to push the file in I'm afraid. Forgot to mention that. SystemUI.apk is constantly called.

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

nickbarbs
Old
Thanks Meter 17
haha just wanted to post appreciation for the awesome comic strip you put up there LOL

Although to be honest - it doesnt bother me at all both the vibration and the light, so meh.

But I can see how it would get annoying to some and I definitely appreciate the comic, because when it lights up during the day I always think i'm getting a phone call.

pulser_g2
Old
Thanks Meter 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbarbs View Post
haha just wanted to post appreciation for the awesome comic strip you put up there LOL

Although to be honest - it doesnt bother me at all both the vibration and the light, so meh.

But I can see how it would get annoying to some and I definitely appreciate the comic, because when it lights up during the day I always think i'm getting a phone call.
Haha not sure where it's from - someone sent me the link at some point.

kersey
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Not sure why but I've not experienced a full charge notification. Is it because I've got Audible Selection unticked??

Rytkonen
Old
Thanks Meter 74
That comic is just hilarious.

KLoNe1
Old
Thanks Meter 84

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytkonen View Post
That comic is just hilarious.
Really is! :P

I would test it, but I'm using the 'CRT Off' SystemUI.apk atm :/

pulser_g2
Old
Thanks Meter 10599
Does anyone know if it works then?

Yes it's a lovely comic strip, whoever made it, but given o2's fail quotient right now is in triple figures, I'm stuck relying on people testing these tweaks. I'm aiming to fix one of the failings of stock software each day though... But pretty hard without a phone to test on

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1571

DONATE TO ME
LOL welcome to the SGS world

this issue is a well known issue since the old SGS i9000, this was like the very first [REQ] from people to turn off that infernal alert "i'm fully chaged" in middle of the night

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3