[HACK] Removing keyguard and other security policy restrictions from Email apk
This patch was originally created for Samsung Galaxy S II (GB and ICS) and Galaxy S III (ICS and JB), but it might work for other devices* running Android 2.3 or 4.x because it patches the Email application that you have on your phone. This is not
a pre-patched Email.apk.
* Motorola Blur (Droid), LG G2 and HTC Sense - based ROMs are not supported!
What does it do?
It will make the Email app ignore Exchange-pushed policy on your device, including things like mandatory pin lock (a.k.a. keyguard), minimum password length, encryption, etc.
How to apply this patch?
- Root your phone. Your phone must be rooted. It is impossible to apply this patch without root access. You need root to proceed.
- Get Java (Java SE JRE v6 or 7)
- Get USB drivers (for Samsung, install Kies or just the drivers). Most likely you already have this because of step 1.
- Enable USB debugging on the phone (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging)
* For CM9 users, also go to Settings > Developer Options > Root access, and select ADB.
- Download and unzip attached patch
- Run apply-patch.cmd or apply-patch.sh
Although the Email app will prompt you for device admin access, it won't actually enforce any policy on your device. Let the app install the device admin!
any shortcuts to the Email app as well as any Exchange accounts will disappear and will need to be re-created.
The patch will reboot your phone, this is needed for the changes to take effect.
If you already installed another Email application and it doesn't work, first restore your original Email application before applying this patch.
A Special Note
to those experiencing performance issues! This is not an issue of my patch. This is an issue in the Email app itself. Sometimes calendar sync can't finish properly, causing battery drain. It often happens after you just added a new exchange account. A reboot usually solves this issue. Again, this is not my issue!
4.2 - Bugfix release (IOException)
4.1 - Bugfix release (connection timeout bug fix)
4.0 - Improved ADB support for Mac and Linux (beta)
3.4 - JB 4.3 support (improved boot class path detection)
3.3 - JB 4.2 support (updated adb)
3.2 - Improved Jelly Bean support
3.1 - Added Jelly Bean support (alpha, do not use
), minor optimization and cleanup
3.0 - Added Galaxy S III support
2.4 - Bugfix release
2.3 - Will now patch both Email.apk and Exchange.apk, added patch for ProvisionP****r.hasSupportablePolicy(), courtesy of boost252525
2.2 - added ICS isSupported() patch
2.1 - added support for EmailGoogle.apk
2.0 - New patch method based on patching SecurityPolicy's isActive() and isActiveAdmin()
1.1 - Fixed a bug with /system remounting
1.0 - Initial revision based on patching SecurityPolicy.PolicySet <init>
Did the patch work for you? Donations are welcome!