5,606,588 Members 35,133 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Hacked Camera.APK for better audio quality, usage with any battery life & MORE!

Tip us?

Potatoman
Old
(Last edited by Potatoman; 1st July 2012 at 11:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 247
Default [MOD] Hacked Camera.APK for better audio quality, usage with any battery life & MORE!

Final Update-

Some people have been asking for sourcecode/instructions, so once more, this is the method I used, all credit to Rafalense.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=268

Those of you wanting me to reupload the APK's, I'm sorry, I don't have them stored anymore, and I wouldn't put them up even if I did. They're based on ANCIENT firmware revisions, and whilst I can appreciate you still would like the functionality somehow, I'm not interested in taking on the project again at this time. Thank you very much for your continued use and desire for my work though, it's very flattering.

I won't be actively developing or supporting this anymore because of it's defunct nature. If you want something similar, I highly recommend the lgCamera app, which has a far better implementation of improved bitrates (select whatever bitrates you want in a menu.) You can get lgCamera on the market- I highly reccomend it.

Anyone who wants to pick up this project can feel free to discuss here or make a new thread, as you please. If you do, please include the link to the guide by Rafalense, as it was the basis for this mod and will doubtlessly be of use to someone.

(Original Post Below)
-----

In light of my new student status, and since my student loan doesn't even cover my accommodation... I have made a donate link.

If you use the mod regularly, please consider donating, it would really help me out. Don't worry if you can't though, the mod will always be free for all to use.

Thanks for all the support-

- Potatoman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks-

It's with great pleasure that I'm releasing a hacked Camera.apk for you all today! This is my first android mod, so be gentle

Info-
The apk replaces the stock Camera.Apk in the Galaxy S II (or Samsung Captivate!), and has the following features-

- Allows use of the camera & camcorder at any battery life
- Records Audio in 192kbps/44.1Khz quality (CD Quality) rather than stock (64kbps/16khz quality)
- Increased Video Bitrate in 1080 and 720p modes* (See 2nd post for info and download link for this version)
- Optional No Sounds versions (for Standard and Highbit versions!). All of the features, None of the noise! Yes, even the autofocus noise is gone!
- HyperX-'s SuperHighBit version now available (See 2nd post for info and download link for this version)

I have left the settings for the 320x240 and 176x144 resolution modes as stock, so they will be the same size and with the same audio. This is to ensure video messages are kept within the filesize limits

Before/After Comparison (thanks robbiekhan)-
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiekhan View Post
Before:

After:

Treble is high for loud sources in this mod, I'm working on improving it in v2. for now, just stand further back like robbiekhan said - Potatoman
Treble seems high so apologies for that, car volume was higher than I realised ¬_¬
Additional info:
If you want to get rid of the shutter sound, create a file in /data called local.prop and add the line "ro.camera.sound.forced=0" and restart your phone. This removes both the shutter sound and the focus sound when your phone is on silent, but keeps the sound when it's not on silent. - llBlackenedll

Install Guide:
1) Root & install a file manager which lets you browse root
2) browse to /system/app, and rename your Camera.apk to Camera.apk.bak and your Camera.odex to Camera.odex.bak (for use as a backup to restore from)
3) Unrar my APK (password: potatoman@xda) and copy it over to /system/app.
4) Rename it Camera.apk
5) Close the file manager and run the Camera app from the main menu
6) IF the app fails to run, or the shortcut is missing, go back to the /system/app folder and try to install it (tap it in root explorer then "install"). This step is only a fallback, do NOT do this if it works already at step 5.
7) Enjoy!

ADB Install Guide- See 2nd post!

This mod was tested on my own Galaxy S II with KE2, KE7, KG1, VillainROM and CognitionROM firmwares.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, hope you enjoy! Thank if you like it
(Download: http://www.multiupload.com/KHRWLERS4J)
(Download with no sounds: http://www.multiupload.com/NNR1SYDYL6 Same password. Be sure to remove cam_start.ogg, cam_stopp.ogg, Camera_click.ogg, Camera_click_short.ogg, Shutter_01.ogg and videoRecord.ogg from /system/media/audio/ui as well!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Credits-
Potatoman - Sound implimentation & merging of features & Version Splitting/Maintainance
Soraxd - Original battery life functionality & upcoming music playing functionality
Rafalense - A great post which lead me through how to do this mod over on the Galaxy S forums
pulser_g2 - Original battery life functionality (with soraxD )
llBlackenedll - tip on how to disable shutter sounds
robbiekhan - Before/After Comparison videos
Antoniotdi - An excellent bugfix
hyperX - Great minds think alike eh? HyperX released a similar mod to this on the same day as me! Anyway, we'll be working together on cameramods from now on. Good news huh?
Knightnz - The ADB install guide
The Following 155 Users Say Thank You to Potatoman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Potatoman
Old
(Last edited by Potatoman; 19th September 2011 at 11:46 PM.) Reason: Disclaimer added.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 247
ADB Install guide (Thanks knightnz!)-

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
How to install using adb with phone connected to your computer:

Copy the new .apk to the root of the internal sdcard of the phone. then run the appropriate set of commands:

STANDARD VERSION:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
cp -r /sdcard/Camera.apk /system/app/Camera.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/Camera.apk

NO SOUND VERSION:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
cp -r /sdcard/CameraSoundless.apk /system/app/Camera.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/Camera.apk
cd /system/media/audio/ui
rm cam*
rm Cam*
rm Shut*
rm Video*
-----------------------------------------

HyperX-'s SuperHighBit version released!
This is kept here because it isn't mine to remove, and I haven't heard from HyperX in a while. Please note I wont be able to support anyone with this if you choose to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperX- View Post
Since some of you know me... i imigrated from Symbian here to Android.
Now i am working on several mods with Potatoman to bring you more mods/tweaks stuff.
I have prepared a package, with the following settings:
1080p mode: Normal – 17 Mbit Fine – 24 Mbit – Super fine – 30 Mbit
720p mode Normal – 9 Mbit Fine – 13 Mbit Super fine – 17 Mbit
Both modes have audio at 48000 khz at 192 kbit
Download
Also for those, who are interessted, my site will be soon updated for an Android section.
www.hx-custom-roms.com
DISCLAIMER TO AVOID DRAMA-
I work on this in my own time as a project, as and when I see fit. At no point does using or donating to the development of this app entitle you to demand anything from me other than what has already been shared. The app is also for use "as is", with no warranty. Support is provided by me (and other helpful members) in this thread and in my PM box as and when we desire.
Anyone who takes an issue with this is more than welcome to not use the app, not post here, and otherwise avoid being a nuisance to the rest of us in this thread.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Potatoman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kendragon
Old
Thanks Meter 25
thanks it works
The Following User Says Thank You to kendragon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zxz0O0
Old
Thanks Meter 275
Nice will download it. But for version 2.. I am able film and listen to music at the same time now on KE7
The Following User Says Thank You to zxz0O0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sorrowuk
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Cool . Are you able to make the power button work as a shutter key when in the camera app ?

spyrale
Old
Thanks Meter 112
good work, thanks!
Silence! I kill you!

padlad
Old
Thanks Meter 335
This looks great, can someone please upload it to an Android browser friendly file sharing site, like megashare.com for example. Many thanks.
Galaxy Note II (N7100)
Stock launcher 6 x 7 icons, up to 7 dock icons, 6 x 7 app drawer icons, Messaging, SystemUI, Framework-res Mods - Xda thread: HERE

Galaxy Note I (N7000)
Camera and messaging mods - Xda thread: HERE
Camera, Messaging, Browser UA etc. HERE (hover over the file or click it to see the description)
The Following User Says Thank You to padlad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djase
Old
Thanks Meter 96
pin spot still here ?

ermacwins
Old
Thanks Meter 653

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowuk View Post
Cool . Are you able to make the power button work as a shutter key when in the camera app ?
+1 Good idea
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298
The Following User Says Thank You to ermacwins For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mdaaddic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Screen brightness low

Hi nice work, thanks. I have one problem with it. When I turn on Camera screen brightness turns to the lowest value, so it is very hard to see what I am filming or photographing.
We rather confess our moral errors, faults, and crimes than our ignorance.
[Goethe]