5,594,805 Members 36,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][ICS][XPOSED] Tweakbox: no-flashing tweaks collection (1.4.0)(23.01.2013)

Tip us?

rovo89
Old
(Last edited by rovo89; 14th June 2013 at 04:56 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 11023
Default [MOD][ICS][XPOSED] Tweakbox: no-flashing tweaks collection (1.4.0)(23.01.2013)

Maybe you have read about my project called "Xposed", maybe not. In short, it is a framework that can be used to create modifications without touching the APKs, which in turn means that nothing needs to be flashed.

Tweakbox was the first module for Xposed and developed for a 4.0.3 stock ROM for of the Galaxy S2. While Xposed works with many different devices and ROMs, quite a few (or many?) of the tweaks below assume certain existing code in the ROM which can be patched and used. As a consequence, they might work or might not work for you. Especially if you have a non-Samsung phone, only few of the tweaks will work. It depends on your exact ROM what will work, I can't tell you because I don't have your ROM.

Please also note: I'm no longer using Tweakbox after my switch to CM10.1. Therefore this module is no longer actively maintained. You can try if it works for you, but it's unlikely that more features or support for more devices will be added. Patches are still welcome. So please don't be upset if it doesn't work for you - I had planned to remove it, but why should I if still lots of people are using it?

Now to the list of implemented tweaks:
  • Statusbar
    • Number of bars for signal strength indicator
    • Background color. Looks weird actually because most apps aren't made for this.
    • Clock color
    • Toggle "switch input method" notification while typing text
  • CRT (see below for requirements - will probably not work for you)
    • CRT off effect
    • CRT on effect
    • CRT landscape detection
  • Battery
    • Levels for critical/low battery warning
    • Disable Samsung's "100% charged, unplug me now" notification
  • Phone
    • Vibrate on Call Wait
    • Increasing Ringer Volume
    • Call Recording (see below for requirements - will probably not work for you)
    • Built-in SIP
  • Miscellaneous
    • Don't turn on the screen when unplugging from USB/AC
    • Choose long HOME key behaviour (do nothing, classical/icon-only, new/thumbnails). Just sets a switch, the implementation has to exist in the ROM.
    • Skip tracks with a long press on the volume up/down key, ported from here (only when screen is off)
  • Experimental
    • Fake 240 DPI for Play Store
The colors can be picked with an extended version of the color picker made by attenzione@GitHub. This gives you the chance to select any RGB color plus the transparency - steplessly!

Requirements for CRT / call recording:
The CRT effect requires that /system/lib/libsurfaceflinger.so is prepared for this effect. Many phones produce flickering for the CRT off effect. The CRT on effect and rotation awareness is isn't included in the normal library.
Patching the library is much work and unfortunately the library cannot be transferred to other ROMs or phones in most cases.
If you have a stock-based ROM for your I9100, you can push the library from the attached zip to /system/lib at your own risk (if you don't know how to undo it if you get a bootloop, don't do it).
For the I9300, the library can be found here.
For other phones/ROMs/versions: Sorry, I'm not planning to patch more libraries.

Call recording will probably only work on I9100 ICS Stock and only if you have the libraries install from this post. Same game: Know what you're doing or don't do it. I don't know where these libraries originally came from, so I can't provide them for other ROMs.
You might also try this module, I believe it only works on Samsungs's JB ROMs though.

Changelog:
1.0: Initial version [126 downloads]
1.1: Fixed signal strength bars, added color picker for status bar background color (replacing the list) and clock color (added in this version) [543 downloads]
1.2: Some intermediate release, only some betas published
1.3: Lots of new things [3676 downloads]:
- Toggle "switch input method" notification while typing text
- CRT off (no flickering)/CRT on/landscape awareness for SGS2 (tested) and SGS3 (waiting for your feedback). Also triggers the CRT effect if the ROM doesn't (should fix SGS3).
- Phone tweaks: Vibrate on Call Wait, Increasing Ringer Volume, Call Recording, Built-in SIP
- (experimental) Play Store fix for non-standard densities
1.3.1: Compatibility with framework version 2.0
1.3.2: Minor changes for Xposed 2.1
1.4.0: Clock color tweak should now work for more ROMs. Removed (not working) market fix and hidden per-app DPI settings

Installation: See the first post in the Xposed framework thread. You need the framework AND the attached module.

Source code: at GitHub.

Credits to Tungstwenty for all the support and his many contributions, the CM9 project for the long press volume key mod, el_liberator for a hint about the statusbar color, attenzione for the color picker.
Tired of updating your mod for every new ROM release?
You want give users the possibility to combine different mods without creating tons of different files for all possible combinations?
Then have a look at my Xposed framework - modifications without APK changes!
The Following 228 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr_Bartek
Old
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
Although th 5/6 signal bar mod works, it still has a maximum value of 4 signal bars with the last 1/2 bars always empty. Hope you can fix it.
Phone: HTC One HBoot: 1.44.0000 Security: OFF
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bartek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rovo89
Old
Thanks Meter 11023
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollylost100 View Post
Although th 5/6 signal bar mod works, it still has a maximum value of 4 signal bars with the last 1/2 bars always empty. Hope you can fix it.
Now that you're saying it.. I thought I just didn't have a full signal.

This setting actually just enables something built-in, but deactivated. And it seems that Samsung had just started to implement this, but has not finished it. The part where it calculates the signal strength to be displayed is still in the range from 0 to 4. I'll see what I can do. I think Jkay has activated the same function, so maybe he can tell me what he did to fix it.
You want give users the possibility to combine different mods without creating tons of different files for all possible combinations?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr_Bartek
Old
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
No problem. Hopefully you can fix it!

Also, could you do mods such as hide alarm clock, vibrate/silent icons, time hide, battery hide?

I found some smail codes for that here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...52#post8104552
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bartek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rovo89
Old
Thanks Meter 11023
The signal strength bars are fixed in the next version.. at least for GSM. For CDMA, EVDO and LTE, the signal strength will be interpolated (means that level 1 will be skipped, plus level 5 for the 6 bar version, to have a range from 0 to 6 instead of 0 to 4).

I have also started looking into the status bar icons. I think I found a good place to hide them, but haven't tried yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr_Bartek
Old
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
Can't wait for the new version. I can test for you if you there's anything.

haasgo
Old
(Last edited by haasgo; 6th May 2012 at 10:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 168

DONATE TO ME
thread bookmarked!

Things to consider implenting:

- ics lockscreen on/off
- sammy lockscreen on/off
- hide sms from call log
- no autoconvert of sms to mms
- toggles?
- clock color
- new notification bar in dropdown?
- brighness level/profile
- lockscreen switch
- density changer with market modder
- show/hide statusbar icons
- hardwarebutton for cam
- no low/full battery sound
- reboot options
- remove swipe to unlock text from ls
- tranparent ls

There is so much u could implement...i think, that is the problem jkay is struggling with. Samsung and google have left so many gaps to fill...i will try to help and find some tutorials to support this project.

Anyway ur idea and approach is brilliant!! Lots of thx for ur efforts mate! Cheers
If you like what you are reading press "Thanks!"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to haasgo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mljjlm
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasgo View Post
Things to consider implenting:

- ics lockscreen on/off
I think a switch between the two would be better

rovo89
Old
Thanks Meter 11023
I have just uploaded version 1.1. Additionally to the signal strength fix, I have added the possibility to change the status bar clock color.

Also I found a very nice color picker and added it to the settings. This makes it possible to select any color with any transparency.

rovo89
Old
Thanks Meter 11023
@haasgo: Thanks for the big list of suggestions!

In general: I will concentrate on things I use myself. I have a full-time job, a girlfriend and don't want to spend *every* free minute developing, otherwise I will probably lose interest soon. As I use Go Launcher EX, WidgetLocker and exDialer, it's very unlikely that I will create mods for the launcher, lockscreen or dialer. Also you mentioned some SMS related things.. I write and get very few texts, so don't hope for these features too much.

Anyway, here comes the good thing. In contrast to mods as we know them, where someone patched the framework-res, systemui etc. and published the files, you can combine different modules. Someone else can implement some lockscreen mods and you can use both, with the combined power.

And second, the project is open-source (see first post). If someone implements a new feature or a bugfix, they can send me a pull request so I can integrate it into the Tweakbox.

That said, some specific notes:

- ics lockscreen on/off
Do you mean this? Sounds easy to implement.

- hide sms from call log => see above
- no autoconvert of sms to mms => see above
- toggles? => the quick settings? yes, definitely on my list!
- clock color => done
- new notification bar in dropdown? => not sure what you mean
- brighness level/profile => will look into it
- lockscreen switch => is this the same as above?
- density changer with market modder => what is the "market modder"? I used the "LCD Density Changer", which works fine
- show/hide statusbar icons => will look into it
- hardwarebutton for cam => maybe
- no low/full battery sound => already implemented (see menu "battery")
- reboot options => what would you like to see there?
- remove swipe to unlock text from ls => see above
- tranparent ls => see above

Tags
xposed