FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Get Sky Go(UK) to work on rooted phones

657 posts
Thanks Meter: 106
 
By richfreestone, Senior Member on 21st February 2012, 10:02 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would let you all know, that there is an app that temporarily removes root, I work for Sky Sports(attached to Sky), and i've known for a while that it wouldn't work on rooted devices, DRM and all that.

However, some testing i've done with my Galaxy S2, i've found an app which removes root(backs it up too), OTA RootKeeper, it temporaily unroot,(keeps backup) basically allows any apps that dont' work with root to work.

Tested and tried, i'm just hoping the guys at Text and Mobile division at Sky bring out anytime or even anytime+ in the near future.

Though we love our apple products within Sky, so may be a while before android gets anything like that, I on the other hand hate Apple.

Thought I would give people a heads up on how to get the new app working.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richfreestone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
21st February 2012, 10:53 AM |#2  
zee54's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 76
 
More
Yeah .. This method has also been mentioned by someone in the Sky Forums site ....

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Using-Sk...one/m-p/319073

I'm unfortunately on ICS so it doesn't work for me either way ... Personally I'm really disappointed with Sky, having taken so long to bring out an app and then not have it up to date.
21st February 2012, 10:56 AM |#3  
marcadam's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 145
 
More
Already tried that with a different app, still hangs on loading.... 0%. I got it working once the first day, but temp unroot does nothing for me, even with supercurio's app

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
21st February 2012, 01:01 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
Are you using ICS?

Yeah, hoping one of the devs brings a fix out for ICS.

As for temp unroot, i'm happy doing that aslong as it works.
21st February 2012, 01:17 PM |#5  
Lennyuk's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,677
 
Donate to Me
More
If you are on an ICS rom just change your build.prop

"ro.build.version = 2.3.7" (not 4.0.3)

that will get past the ICS check.

then you need to be on a stock rom and stock kernel (not cf-root or other!) and use OTA Rootkeeper app (free in market) to hide root when you want to use SkyGo
22nd February 2012, 10:16 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Royal Tunbridge Wells
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfreestone

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would let you all know, that there is an app that temporarily removes root, I work for Sky Sports(attached to Sky), and i've known for a while that it wouldn't work on rooted devices, DRM and all that.

However, some testing i've done with my Galaxy S2, i've found an app which removes root(backs it up too), OTA RootKeeper, it temporaily unroot,(keeps backup) basically allows any apps that dont' work with root to work.

Tested and tried, i'm just hoping the guys at Text and Mobile division at Sky bring out anytime or even anytime+ in the near future.

Though we love our apple products within Sky, so may be a while before android gets anything like that, I on the other hand hate Apple.

Thought I would give people a heads up on how to get the new app working.

This worked fine for me running XXKI3, 2.3.5 and using this app. Excellent app.
22nd February 2012, 11:20 PM |#7  
Restrictedbeef's Avatar
Member
Flag Billericay
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
This app didnt work for me. Really dont know what to do now. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
23rd February 2012, 02:55 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcadam

Already tried that with a different app, still hangs on loading.... 0%. I got it working once the first day, but temp unroot does nothing for me, even with supercurio's app

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I've managed to get it going by using CWM to flash the a stock KD1 kernal then using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to hide root.

When I've finished watching sky I use CWM to flash my siyah kernal back.
23rd February 2012, 04:15 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnobright


When I've finished watching sky I use CWM to flash my siyah kernal back.

That sounds like way too much effort lol.
25th February 2012, 08:27 PM |#10  
s2dh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
Likewise...

Sky need to release an app that fully works on ask rooted phones, less of the excuses.

I do the same work around as I want my Kernel to be Siyah, but the only way to get Sky Go working us to flash a stock Kernel.


Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
25th February 2012, 09:24 PM |#11  
jonny68's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 616
 
More
If someone manages to get a hacked apk. or CWM flashable zip that works on rooted SGSII's please post it here, ive tried various methods mentioned without success.

Thanks

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
anytime, drm, sky, skygo
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes