Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 39,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TIP][APP] USB Mass Storage for JB [Works with XXLSJ]

Tip us?

Harsha Raj
Old
(Last edited by Harsha Raj; 1st December 2012 at 09:12 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Default [TIP][APP] USB Mass Storage for JB [Works with XXLSJ]

Chuck everything below. Here is how to enable the USB mode natively
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinrajsr View Post
It's been there forever in ICS as well as in the leaked JB build now. U need to go into settings>wireless and networks>more settings>USB utilities. It was never removed from the firmwares. Just made it a little less accessible.
As you know the stock Samsung JB leaked ROM does not allow for mass storage mode natively and I have not found anyone making a separate mod for the same.

Long back when CM10 was on beta stage, it too had no mass storage feature. I found this app on CM10/AOKP discussion thread by a user allowing you to connect the your phone to PC/TV in mass storage mode. Fortunately this works with XXLSJ too!

Download link: http://goo.gl/sNio5

Note: THIS IS NOT MY WORK. I DO NOT TAKE ANY CREDIT. I AM JUST SHARING IT SO THAT IT IS USEFULL FOR OTHERS. TO WHOEVER DID THE APP - THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND SHARING IT.

Instructions:
1. Install the app
2. Grant root access
3. Connect the USB and open the app/notification
4. Tap on the blue android and wait for it to turn green. Done!

Screenshot:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Files
File Type: apk USB Mass Storage for JB.apk - [Click for QR Code] (37.8 KB, 2156 views)

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Harsha Raj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shadowofdarkness
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Since when does JB not support mass storage, it is the same as ICS for starting it in settings.

Or the better way that makes it default and activated the GB way in the notification bar is to run this one time in a terminal or via adb (it is permanent)

setprop persist.sys.usb.config "mass_storage,adb"

after that command just plug in the cable and the notification will come up that lets you mount or unmount from the computer.

iepurasu_poznas
Old
Thanks Meter 27
And to cancel that command?
Galaxy S4 Black Mist GT-I9505 - Ghost Rom KitKat XXUFNC9 by me

Harsha Raj
Old
(Last edited by Harsha Raj; 1st December 2012 at 08:48 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofdarkness View Post
Since when does JB not support mass storage, it is the same as ICS for starting it in settings.

Or the better way that makes it default and activated the GB way in the notification bar is to run this one time in a terminal or via adb (it is permanent)

setprop persist.sys.usb.config "mass_storage,adb"

after that command just plug in the cable and the notification will come up that lets you mount or unmount from the computer.
Yes I know that it has not been there since the ICS. I said JB because most of us are behind the leaked JB. Also you cannot use the UMS apk of ICS on JB.

And thanks for the adb commad.

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

The Following User Says Thank You to Harsha Raj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashwinrajsr
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha Raj View Post
Yes I know that it has not been there since the ICS. I said JB because most of us are behind the leaked JB. Also you cannot use the UMS apk of ICS on JB.

And thanks for the adb commad.
It's been there forever in ICS as well as in the leaked JB build now. U need to go into settings>wireless and networks>more settings>USB utilities. It was never removed from the firmwares. Just made it a little less accessible.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S4
ROM: OzcanRom 3.3
KERNEL: indie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashwinrajsr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shadowofdarkness
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by iepurasu_poznas View Post
And to cancel that command?
This command will set it back to the choice between mtp and ptp

setprop persist.sys.usb.config "mtp,ptp"
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowofdarkness For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iepurasu_poznas
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks
Galaxy S4 Black Mist GT-I9505 - Ghost Rom KitKat XXUFNC9 by me

Harsha Raj
Old
(Last edited by Harsha Raj; 1st December 2012 at 09:12 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinrajsr View Post
Lol. Now what you say about that? Thanks. I totally missed that screen Updated the OP. Fail thread

The Following User Says Thank You to Harsha Raj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mattix724
Old
Thanks Meter 2511
It's even in the Epic 4G Touch FK23 leak...

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354352924810.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1526497

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

MMarv
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha Raj View Post
Lol. Now what you say about that? Thanks. I totally missed that screen Updated the OP. Fail thread
Man! your work is great. No fail thread indeed. I've got a galaxy grand and there is no mass storage mode available. I didn't know what to do without your app. It works like a charm on my device I thanked all your posts in this thread. I will tell SGG owners about your perfect app. Thank you again