Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 38,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tethering useable on official stock 4.4.2

Tip us?

jack man
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Default Tethering useable on official stock 4.4.2

I made a discovery tonight. While just playing around, I got curious and tried turning on the wifi hotspot tethering. Now, I've been on stock since AT&T released 4.3 and decided not even to root so I could keep my warranty up through August. I upgraded to 4.4.2 when it was released a few weeks ago (and I am not rooted). Also, and I don't know if this would factor in, I had been on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan since way back in my captivate days. I recently (a week ago) switched over to their Family Share 10gig plan with unlimited talk and text.

Just on a whim, i thought id see if the tethering would work. It does. I successfully connected three other devices to my phone.

Is this supposed to happen? I thought tethering was blocked on stock ROMs. Can anyone else that's running the stock 4.4.2 confirm that tethering works?
Jack Man

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
Current Rom: Stock 4.4.2

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 i777
Current ROM: ShoStock3 Jelly Bean by Shoman94

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S i897
Current ROM: Stock GB (given to my Dad)
-----------------------
Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ (Stock; all of my flashing is done on my phones.)

vanderville
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Tethering has always worked for me =)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

csobsidian
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack man View Post
I made a discovery tonight. While just playing around, I got curious and tried turning on the wifi hotspot tethering. Now, I've been on stock since AT&T released 4.3 and decided not even to root so I could keep my warranty up through August. I upgraded to 4.4.2 when it was released a few weeks ago (and I am not rooted). Also, and I don't know if this would factor in, I had been on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan since way back in my captivate days. I recently (a week ago) switched over to their Family Share 10gig plan with unlimited talk and text.

Just on a whim, i thought id see if the tethering would work. It does. I successfully connected three other devices to my phone.

Is this supposed to happen? I thought tethering was blocked on stock ROMs. Can anyone else that's running the stock 4.4.2 confirm that tethering works?
This is the way the Family Share plan works. You can find the following in the small print of the mabile share pricing information on AT&T's website.

Data: If you exceed the amount of data in your plan during your billing period, an additional 300MB, 500MB, or 1GB is automatically provided as specified in your rate plan. Data allowances, including overages, must be used in billing period provided or will be forfeited. Tethering and mobile hotspot use is allowed for up to 5 simultaneous devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to csobsidian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]