antenna issues

OP T_D_H

18th August 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kawartha Lakes
Thanks Meter: 14

132 posts
More
I recently have been working in a remote-ish location ith bad cell coverage. I used the external antenna port on my i747m and got wonderful reception with the use of that. It seems to no longer though use the internal antenna so as soon as I remove the external, I get almost no bars when I am almost 500 meters away from a tower. I dont know whats been done to make it think it should do that. I have factory reset it, did a full device wipe, re installed ROM(task's AOKP 8/10) and I'm not sure what else to do.

If anyone has an easy solution or can advise me in something I have clearly overlooked I would be greatfull
18th August 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,497

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
External antenna port? First ive heard about that.
Maybe try flashing your firmware via Odin, then factory resetting again will help? If not, its probably not a firmware/software issue.
I could be mistaken though. Ive never heard of an external antenna, let alone a port on the device for one....
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kawartha Lakes

132 posts
More
here is the link to the info I used, though not the exact same model, the port is there on all of the s3 models I assume seeing that the i747m has it

http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/pat...alaxy-s3-i9300

I suppose I could try a restore to 4.1 since im still on the old loader. as much as I enjoy all the signal I dont enjoy the antenna when it isnt needed heh
The Following User Says Thank You to T_D_H For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 09:14 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Im not sure about what could be the problem, but i do want to thank you for the link. I always knew the second connector was on the motherboard, but never knew if it was functional or if there was a good way to use it. Ive thought about using a second internal antenna to see if it makes a difference, but long ago forgot all about it!

Anyway, as I stated before, I think flashing back to stock and testing is your best option. If it works, then try reflashing your rom clean. If it doesnt it may be hardware related.
It may or may not have anything to do with it, but on that video it showed them plugging/unplugging that antenna several times. I know from experience that those connectors are very fragile, so check to make sure yours hasnt been damaged somehow.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kawartha Lakes

132 posts
More
Yeah, I finally figured out which boot loader I'm on so I'm going to nandroid and then flash stock and see what happens, I tested my Sim card in another phone and it worked fine so its clearly a hardware/software issue, all I know is don't use a twist tie lol use a proper connector haha. I'll update soon as internet is a hard thing for me to find to download the factory image

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Free mobile app
22nd August 2014, 04:49 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 220

796 posts
dont if what youre looking for is here, but there is a truck load of download links for the i747/i747M here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426
good luck

err on the side of kindness
22nd August 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kawartha Lakes

132 posts
More
Just hoping a stock flash will fix this antenna issue since it seems stuck using the external antenna no matter what I've done so far, but thanks for the link and let's hope that fixes it

The Following User Says Thank You to T_D_H For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kawartha Lakes

132 posts
More
Well I flashed back to stock and still get little to no reception. I really am confused what could cause this to happen. If anyone can come up with any ideas to try I would be more than happy to try since this phone is useless to me now with no reception.

Thanks

25th August 2014, 03:14 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
I really dont have any other ideas tbh. You tested your sim in another device so we know its not the network or your sim/account. Unfortunately, since its behaving the same on stock, it leads me to think its a hardware failure. Theres really not anything else I can think of that it could be.
Its possible that plugging/unplugging too many times may have damaged the board. Or it could be simple hardware degradation.
I am sorry I dont have a positive answer for you at this point. Maybe someone else might have an idea.
I would start looking at motherboard replacements on ebay. Ive seen them go for $50-60 before, and it might be your cheapest option. Look at used devices with broken displays too. Swapping the motherboard is quite easy as im sure you already know.
1st September 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kawartha Lakes

132 posts
More
Yeah I've pretty much just gotten used to dealing with it and will end up just buying myself a new phone soon, hopefully some new phones come out shortly lol. It does suck to think I've messed the hardware up though...who knows maybe I'll find a cheap broken s3 somewhere. Thanks for the help

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread