Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 51,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Going from CM11 To Stock? (Model: Sghi747)

Tip us?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5150

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by david12795 View Post
Thank you so much! It finally worked! I got the reset notification and I am now back on JB

Thank you! should I take any more steps to ensure I made a clean installation or am I good after flashing it?
Awesome!
really glad to hear that! The only thing I can think of thst you might want to do next is backing up your nv data. The following is a copy/past from a post I made a few min ago... root is required to fo this btw, just so you know.

(Since you are looking to update though, I recommend waiting till you have updated before rooting and running this backup)

It's a super simple procedure and will create an on device backup of your nv data. The backup will be stored on a couple of partitions we never touch, not even with firmware flashes. This essentially makes it a permanent backup. The cool thing about it is every time you reboot, the system checks for any corruption, and if detected, it will automatically restore from this backup. So if it were to ever happen, you probably wouldn't ever even notice it!

Install the Terminal Emulator from the play store. Open and enter this:

su
reboot nvbackup

Thats it! Device will reboot and create your backup. This should prevent you from ever suffering from a lost IMEI!

Quote:
Weird, I went straight to update phone and it said my phone is up to date? I thought the official 4.4 update came out for the S3?
That has been released, but OTA's are generally rolled out in stages over several weeks. Usually done by region. So it msy not have started in your area just yet.

Two alternatives you can try though, install kies on your computer and update through that. Or there are a couple if threads in the General section that provide the ota for download.
Enewman17 has a few threads helping folks to update so I recommend checking them out as well.
Ive heard that some people have gone to best buy and they were able to initiate the update there. I dont know much more about this though.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

david12795
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Awesome!
really glad to hear that! The only thing I can think of thst you might want to do next is backing up your nv data. The following is a copy/past from a post I made a few min ago... root is required to fo this btw, just so you know.

(Since you are looking to update though, I recommend waiting till you have updated before rooting and running this backup)

It's a super simple procedure and will create an on device backup of your nv data. The backup will be stored on a couple of partitions we never touch, not even with firmware flashes. This essentially makes it a permanent backup. The cool thing about it is every time you reboot, the system checks for any corruption, and if detected, it will automatically restore from this backup. So if it were to ever happen, you probably wouldn't ever even notice it!

Install the Terminal Emulator from the play store. Open and enter this:

su
reboot nvbackup

Thats it! Device will reboot and create your backup. This should prevent you from ever suffering from a lost IMEI!

Thank you! I will look into this. I just figured for some reason...I would have some data left from cyanogenmod, if that makes sense. In other words, i want my phone to be as fresh as possible. I only ask this because when I had CM, i accidentally made a backup of it through rom manager (or clockwork) and I am not sure if its in my partition somewhere.

Quote:

That has been released, but OTA's are generally rolled out in stages over several weeks. Usually done by region. So it msy not have started in your area just yet.

Two alternatives you can try though, install kies on your computer and update through that. Or there are a couple if threads in the General section that provide the ota for download.
Enewman17 has a few threads helping folks to update so I recommend checking them out as well.
Ive heard that some people have gone to best buy and they were able to initiate the update there. I dont know much more about this though.

TIL that OTA arent as fast. Ill download KIES and give it a try.

david12795
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Just installed KIES and it said my phone has the latest firmware?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5150

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thank you! I will look into this. I just figured for some reason...I would have some data left from cyanogenmod, if that makes sense. In other words, i want my phone to be as fresh as possible. I only ask this because when I had CM, i accidentally made a backup of it through rom manager (or clockwork) and I am not sure if its in my partition somewhere.

TIL that OTA arent as fast. Ill download KIES and give it a try.

Factory resetting with stock recovery installed wipes all data except the external sdcard. I am so sorry I should've mentioned this before. I was thinking you had already done one at some point and didn't have anything left to worry about. Still, I should have asked and I do apologize for that. Hopefully if it was really important it was saved to the external sdcard....

Quote:
Just installed KIES and it said my phone has the latest firmware?
Ok, I wasn't sure about that. I personally never need or use kies so I didn't know if it was tied to the staged rollouts. It would appear that it is though.
Give me a few min and ill post links to the threads where you can download the ota or update via a different method.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

UCUEMJB to UCUFNE4 firmware update - thread by enewman17
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2808654.

How to update SGH-I747 yo UCUFNE4_4.4.2 - thread by enewman17
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2789917

[Download] AT&T Kitkat OTA file - thread by bkong
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788012

I suggest trying the third one by bkong first. He posted a pure OTA file you can try to update with.

The first option is a recovery flashable firmware, but does not include the /system (ROM) portion. To fully update using this you'll flash the firmware per his instructions and then go to his development thread for the stock rom. It is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788357

The second option is the OTA file, but it has been slightly modified to skip certain file checks. If the original OTA doesnt work, theres a good chance this will. (Since you are full stock now either one should flash without issue).

Hope those help! I recommend doing a bit of reading about each one (at least the OP and last few pages) and start with whichever you are most comfortable with.

Or, you could always use that most valuable tool, patience, and wait for the OTA to roll out for your area.
Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

david12795
Old
(Last edited by david12795; 11th July 2014 at 05:35 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Factory resetting with stock recovery installed wipes all data except the external sdcard. I am so sorry I should've mentioned this before. I was thinking you had already done one at some point and didn't have anything left to worry about. Still, I should have asked and I do apologize for that. Hopefully if it was really important it was saved to the external sdcard....

Ok, I wasn't sure about that. I personally never need or use kies so I didn't know if it was tied to the staged rollouts. It would appear that it is though.
Give me a few min and ill post links to the threads where you can download the ota or update via a different method.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

UCUEMJB to UCUFNE4 firmware update - thread by enewman17
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2808654.

How to update SGH-I747 yo UCUFNE4_4.4.2 - thread by enewman17
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2789917

[Download] AT&T Kitkat OTA file - thread by bkong
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788012

I suggest trying the third one by bkong first. He posted a pure OTA file you can try to update with.

The first option is a recovery flashable firmware, but does not include the /system (ROM) portion. To fully update using this you'll flash the firmware per his instructions and then go to his development thread for the stock rom. It is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788357

The second option is the OTA file, but it has been slightly modified to skip certain file checks. If the original OTA doesnt work, theres a good chance this will. (Since you are full stock now either one should flash without issue).

Hope those help! I recommend doing a bit of reading about each one (at least the OP and last few pages) and start with whichever you are most comfortable with.

Or, you could always use that most valuable tool, patience, and wait for the OTA to roll out for your area.
Good luck!

No no! Its fine, I wasnt planning using it or anything, I just wanted to get rid of it since I have no use for it, no need to apologize. , I was fully aware that I would lose all files, other than SD ext drive. I just wanted to make sure that all files are in the right place and none of the unnecessary files are taking up space (e.g. files from cyanogenmod)

As for the update, I talked to a samsung representative and they said one can go to Best Buy and get it updated there through a technician, so Ill try that later since I am close to it ATM. If it back fires, Ill try your suggestions.

I really do appreciate for the help , I have been completely lost for days but it turns out I was just using the wrong firmware. Thanks for pointing it out. Good karma is coming your way . Hopefully one day, I will be here again and trying out a new custom firmware.
The Following User Says Thank You to david12795 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5150

DONATE TO ME
Glad I could help!
If I remember right, someone who mentioned the best buy thing had said at the time that the first store they went to did not have the update yet. But I think they found another in their area did. So if they say its up to date and cant help, you might find another store close by can. (If there is one of course!)

Just fyi so you're not too surprised if that happens.

david12795
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Glad I could help!
If I remember right, someone who mentioned the best buy thing had said at the time that the first store they went to did not have the update yet. But I think they found another in their area did. So if they say its up to date and cant help, you might find another store close by can. (If there is one of course!)

Just fyi so you're not too surprised if that happens.

Ill hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Of course, if the worst happens, I can just use one of your links you mentioned.