Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 44,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Crashing apps and loss of service?!

Tip us?

Fingerless
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Crashing apps and loss of service?!

Hey guys, long time browser, first time poster, but not a reason for celebration, alas.I come to you guys out of frustration after hours of being unable to solve my issue cruising the interwebs, and the thread title kinda says it all.

To start from the beginning, I recently delved into the rooted world by means of towelroot (kitkat 4.4.2), installed xposed framework, got the modules XBlast and XPrivacy, and you might have guessed, fiddled around with each. Everything was fine and dandy until I was having issues receiving/making calls through an app (LINE, if you know it), and so I attempted to figure out what the issue was, very much assuming XPrivacy to be the culprit. Couldn't get it to work, which is when I decided to restore my backup I made using Clockwork. Should have been nice and smooth sailing, but...

Upon having it "restored" I booted on into it, which is when I got smacked in the face; as soon as I'm booted, most, if not all, my apps are reporting that they have stopped working by a bombardment of error messages in endless succession, making just browsing the home screens almost impossible. Also with this barrage came the lack of cell service, a nice white n' slashed out circle in what should be my bars of signal. I tried again to restore my phone from my backup. Same issue, but I did notice during the recovery it made mention of something like "secure_android" missing? This sent me on my hours of head banging, turning up *possible* resolutions, which didn't work. I've tried flashing the stock bootloader, gapps, and nothing. Now, my data and apps are all still there and I can get into recovery without issue, it's just the pain of not being able to actually using any of it.

I have debugging switched on on my phone, but do not have some sort of adb app installed on it, nor could I access any market place to try. I'm not so sure I would be able to install anything on my phone given my current circumstances, anyway.

Please, if any of you out there have some idea as to what is going on, I'm all eyes (as ears on a forum don't work so well)! If there are any details I may have omitted and so on, just let me know and I'll supply it--

Thank you all so much in advance for any possible steps that may resolve this issue!

BWolf56
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,698

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerless View Post
Hey guys, long time browser, first time poster, but not a reason for celebration, alas.I come to you guys out of frustration after hours of being unable to solve my issue cruising the interwebs, and the thread title kinda says it all.

To start from the beginning, I recently delved into the rooted world by means of towelroot (kitkat 4.4.2), installed xposed framework, got the modules XBlast and XPrivacy, and you might have guessed, fiddled around with each. Everything was fine and dandy until I was having issues receiving/making calls through an app (LINE, if you know it), and so I attempted to figure out what the issue was, very much assuming XPrivacy to be the culprit. Couldn't get it to work, which is when I decided to restore my backup I made using Clockwork. Should have been nice and smooth sailing, but...

Upon having it "restored" I booted on into it, which is when I got smacked in the face; as soon as I'm booted, most, if not all, my apps are reporting that they have stopped working by a bombardment of error messages in endless succession, making just browsing the home screens almost impossible. Also with this barrage came the lack of cell service, a nice white n' slashed out circle in what should be my bars of signal. I tried again to restore my phone from my backup. Same issue, but I did notice during the recovery it made mention of something like "secure_android" missing? This sent me on my hours of head banging, turning up *possible* resolutions, which didn't work. I've tried flashing the stock bootloader, gapps, and nothing. Now, my data and apps are all still there and I can get into recovery without issue, it's just the pain of not being able to actually using any of it.

I have debugging switched on on my phone, but do not have some sort of adb app installed on it, nor could I access any market place to try. I'm not so sure I would be able to install anything on my phone given my current circumstances, anyway.

Please, if any of you out there have some idea as to what is going on, I'm all eyes (as ears on a forum don't work so well)! If there are any details I may have omitted and so on, just let me know and I'll supply it--

Thank you all so much in advance for any possible steps that may resolve this issue!
Sounds like your backup was a downgrade (old version).

I would suggest doing a factory reset, test it. If that doesn't do it, use Odin to flash stock firmware (which can be found in the general section stickies).
Sent by falcon messenger while riding a laser equipped T-rex on a rocket
>>Get Dropbox right here<<
>>Rogers LTE tethering mod<<
LG G3 D852
ROM: Stock debloated
Kernel: 3.4.0
Launcher: Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelendel
Jig ~ You should never need one but.. Use the condom theory.

Fingerless
Old
(Last edited by Fingerless; 7th July 2014 at 10:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWolf56 View Post
Sounds like your backup was a downgrade (old version).

I would suggest doing a factory reset, test it. If that doesn't do it, use Odin to flash stock firmware (which can be found in the general section stickies).
Thanks for responding! I did try a wipe data/factory reset via CWM, then restored from there. Didn't work. I'm not sure if there is a particular order in how it should be done such as "factory reset, reboot phone into recovery, restore" or if I should be able to get away with "factory reset, restore", the latter being what I did. I also got a hold of a bootloader file and modem base band for build I747UCUFNE4, if those would be useful in any way.

If it's of any help, I somehow got the Unofficial Omni ROM 4.4.4 to work without any issue, but not quite happy enough with the overall interface of it, yet slowly adapting having installed a touchwiz launcher just to hold me over.

I've tried locating the backup CWM created on my phone so that I could store it on my computer and generate another backup as from what I read, the unpaid version only allows you one at a time, but had no luck digging through my directories. I'm currently investigating this online nandroid backup thing to see if there's anything to it.

I've also come across some file labeled "I747UCUFNE4_Stock_Rooted_Deodex" which is a zip, but I'm reading ODIN uses tar as it's compression of choice? Does this mean I should flash this file via recovery, or? Also, the file size is a whopping 920MB or so... that normal? (Edit: this is where I found the file http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788357 which says to flash in recovery)

Thanks again for your response! I was really thinking my problem would just be glanced over.

BWolf56
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,698

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerless View Post
Thanks for responding! I did try a wipe data/factory reset via CWM, then restored from there. Didn't work. I'm not sure if there is a particular order in how it should be done such as "factory reset, reboot phone into recovery, restore" or if I should be able to get away with "factory reset, restore", the latter being what I did. I also got a hold of a bootloader file and modem base band for build I747UCUFNE4, if those would be useful in any way.

If it's of any help, I somehow got the Unofficial Omni ROM 4.4.4 to work without any issue, but not quite happy enough with the overall interface of it, yet slowly adapting having installed a touchwiz launcher just to hold me over.

I've tried locating the backup CWM created on my phone so that I could store it on my computer and generate another backup as from what I read, the unpaid version only allows you one at a time, but had no luck digging through my directories. I'm currently investigating this online nandroid backup thing to see if there's anything to it.

I've also come across some file labeled "I747UCUFNE4_Stock_Rooted_Deodex" which is a zip, but I'm reading ODIN uses tar as it's compression of choice? Does this mean I should flash this file via recovery, or? Also, the file size is a whopping 920MB or so... that normal? (Edit: this is where I found the file http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788357 which says to flash in recovery)

Thanks again for your response! I was really thinking my problem would just be glanced over.
I meant factory reset without restoring.

But now that you're back up and running, there's no need for it (unless you flash another ROM). You could flash NE4 if you wanna get back on the official ROM but there are also tw custom ROM which you can look into (you're currently using an aosp one).

As for the 920mb, yeah.. That's Sammy at its best, bloating their ROMs.
Sent by falcon messenger while riding a laser equipped T-rex on a rocket
>>Get Dropbox right here<<
>>Rogers LTE tethering mod<<
LG G3 D852
ROM: Stock debloated
Kernel: 3.4.0
Launcher: Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelendel
Jig ~ You should never need one but.. Use the condom theory.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWolf56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fingerless
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWolf56 View Post
I meant factory reset without restoring.

But now that you're back up and running, there's no need for it (unless you flash another ROM). You could flash NE4 if you wanna get back on the official ROM but there are also tw custom ROM which you can look into (you're currently using an aosp one).

As for the 920mb, yeah.. That's Sammy at its best, bloating their ROMs.
You think it would be safe to do a factory reset and try to restore just the data from my recovery? Or is it possible that the data is somehow the issue with everything going wonky?

I'm very new to the ROM thing, Omni was easy to get up and running, but actually playing with a ROM was more of a last ditch effort to see if the problem would be resolved that way and give any sort of indication as to what the issue was (still haven't the sllightest). It's currently not rooted (at least according to my root checker) and the towelroot method doesn't seem to work on it. I kinda need to be rooted if I wanted to make a nandroid, I really want to make a back up of what I currently have set in case I screw the pooch trying to get things back to "normal", yet I'm afraid of overwriting my only recovery and losing whatever data is embedded, though I'm not too deeply saddened by the thought of not having chat histories and whatnot, it would just be nice to have. Perhaps you have thoughts, or anyone else out there, on the matter? I know my first step would be to at least root my current ROM, then back up, I found this as a means to root Omni (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2672160), but how do I determine whether I'm using an ARM based or x86 based device?

Good to know the file size for the stock ROM is considered normal. I didn't even consider carrier/Samsung bloat to have such a huge impact.

Thanks, yet again!