No registration required

Tried update, now says software is up to date

OP rblancrt

10th August 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

139 posts
Hello,

I have always thought that OTA update would fail with a custom recovery. However after reading about another user's experience I decided to try it. This person stated that when they did the update CWM warned them that it would be replaced and asked if they wanted to fix it. It also warned that they would lose root and asked if they wanted to fix it. Sound familiar to anyone?

I did download the update but when I tried to install it failed. Now AT&T says my software is up to date, which is not true.

I am still on 4.1.2, rooted, CWM installed. Best way to upgrade now? I can't even find the OTA upgrade file that I downloaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app
10th August 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #2  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 994

3,141 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblancrt

Hello,

I have always thought that OTA update would fail with a custom recovery. However after reading about another user's experience I decided to try it. This person stated that when they did the update CWM warned them that it would be replaced and asked if they wanted to fix it. It also warned that they would lose root and asked if they wanted to fix it. Sound familiar to anyone?

I did download the update but when I tried to install it failed. Now AT&T says my software is up to date, which is not true.

I am still on 4.1.2, rooted, CWM installed. Best way to upgrade now? I can't even find the OTA upgrade file that I downloaded.

From my experience with 3 i747m phones, rooted systems well not take an ota update.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,497

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yup, you cannot get the ota if rooted, or with a custom recovery. You need to be full stock. Best way is a fresh firmware flash and factory reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2014, 01:04 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

139 posts
I don't have to install OTA, I just wanted to update to the latest official AT&T version. Is there a flashable available that will work coming from 4.1.2?

By the way I used triangle away, downloaded update again, thought it was going to work but the update crashed
Last edited by rblancrt; 11th August 2014 at 01:09 AM.
11th August 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
The latest firmware that's available is the 4.3 build. Havent been able to make a working one for 4.4.2 yet. But you can update using that firmware then use one of the threads in this section to update to kk.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

139 posts
Ok confused. Not sure how to install 4.3. Have read about bootloaders and modems needed before flashing. Guess I will have to keep reading. How to gy from 4.1.2 rooted, CWM, to the latest official which now I think is 4.3?

11th August 2014, 07:22 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
You can either follow the OP through step 4, or flash the firmware from this thread using Odin. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2722660

After that you can follow the remaining steps in this OP, or try to get the official ota to update to 4.4.2.
11th August 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #8  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 994

3,141 posts
More
Since you do not have the 4.3 bootloader, you could start fresh by installing stock 4.1.1 from sammobile.com using Odin and then just keep running OTA until you get to 4.4.2. Remember, using Odin will wipe everything on the phone so make sure you backup your important data.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2014, 04:49 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

Since you do not have the 4.3 bootloader, you could start fresh by installing stock 4.1.1 from sammobile.com using Odin and then just keep running OTA until you get to 4.4.2. Remember, using Odin will wipe everything on the phone so make sure you backup your important data.

Everytime I try to download something from Sammobile.com my AVG pops up a warning. Is this normal? I haven't yet made it through all of their stalls, installs, etc. to get to downloading the actually firmware.
12th August 2014, 12:09 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Used to love AVG. But I think theyve gone downhill and this is a perfect example. Its a false positive. (Unless your browsers been hijacked or youre clicking on a bad/fake link).
Ive been using sammobile for years and never had a single problem.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread