Extremely Weird Sound Glitch

Search This thread

NinjaBurg3r

Nov 5, 2012
I recently started using my AT&T Galaxy S3 again and wanted to make sure that everything was up-to-date on it. I did a clean install of everything and cleared my cache and dalvik first beforehand. I updated the following:

CyanogenMod to 11-20141112-SNAPSHOT-M12-d2lte
GApps to kk-20140606
Baseband Version to I747UCUEMJB

Now, seemingly randomly, all audio on my device will stop working; from Apollo, to YouTube, to system sounds and ringtones. Rebooting the phone solves this issue temporarily. However, when I plug my headphones in, that seems to be the catalyst for the issue. Once I have them seated into the jack, all sound then stops and will not resume, even if I remove them, until I reboot. Stranger still, is that if I am playing music and THEN plug in my headphones, it will continue to work as normal.

I had a stable nandroid backup of CM10 that I had been running for the longest time that I reverted to, but the problem persisted.

Somehow, it seems to be related to when I updated the baseband version. I originally flashed CM and GApps cleanly only to find I had no data connection. After some digging, it seemed that newer versions of CM were no compatible with the baseband I was using which is when I proceeded to get the latest one and flash it. All of these strange issues with audio started happening after that. I tried flashing a couple of older baseband versions, but that did not alleviate the problem.

Anybody have any suggestions? I am tearing my hair out trying to get to the bottom of this :(

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
...I updated the following:

CyanogenMod to 11-20141112-SNAPSHOT-M12-d2lte
GApps to kk-20140606
Baseband Version to I747UCUEMJB

Somehow, it seems to be related to when I updated the baseband version....
After some digging, it seemed that newer versions of CM were no compatible with the baseband I was using which is when I proceeded to get the latest one and flash it. All of these strange issues with audio started happening after that. I tried flashing a couple of older baseband versions, but that did not alleviate the problem.

Anybody have any suggestions? I am tearing my hair out trying to get to the bottom of this :(

What baseband (modem) and bootloader do you have on your phone? You say that you upgraded to MJB, but then later say that you flashed the latest baseband, which is NJ1 for the i747. Were you flashing only basebands or both bootloader and basebands?

What you should do next depends on the current bootloader and modem, and if they are the same version.
Once this device reaches the MJB bootloader you can no longer downgrade the bootloader with risking bricking the device. Once you reach either of the 4.4.2 bootloader and modem pairs you risk bricking the phone if the versions are not the same.

Check before going any further. Either use the Phone Info -- Samsung app from the Playstore, by vndnguyen. Or use terminal emulator commands. There is the chance that some of the flashing did not take and your phone is not at the version of either bootloader or baseband that you think it is.
Code:
getprop ro.bootloader
getprop | grep version.baseband

jason2678

Jul 1, 2014
St. Paul
I had this same sound problem on multiple CM11 based KitKat ROMs. I don't recall whether it got fixed on KitKat or not; I've since switched to lollipop ROMs and haven't seen this problem since. You might try flashing a more recent CM11 nightly to see if the audio thing has been fixed. You'll find the most recent builds under d2att since the d2's have been de-unified.

If you choose to give lollipop a try you will probably need to get your firmware up to NE4 or NJ1. Early on some people were running lollipop on MJB, but I don't believe that is still the case.