Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Experiencing major issues with any custom rom. Please help!

OP benhofb

6th July 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
More
((if this is in the wrong place or has been covered before, I apologize...))

Hello all.

I just became the new owner of a family member's Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T). Already owning and tinkering with two xperia Ion's I wanted to have a little more freedom and experience Kitkat on the GS3.

I had no experience in unlocked bootloaders and all that, so I figured that I would let the Cyanogenmod Auto-Installer do the work for me and install CM11 on my device.

It worked great initially! No problems whatsoever aside from minor glitches here and there. As soon as I started installing some more apps and Xposed modules, I noticed that things were getting odd.

Eventually, my phone wouldn't connect to google's play services whatsoever. Despite countless resets of the phone itself and my modem/router, nothing seemed to help. Flushing the cache and dalvik didn't help either, nor did a factory reset. The issue kept coming back.

Thinking that perhaps another rom wouldn't have the problem, I installed C-Rom (which was based on 4.4.4 KK). It ran BEAUTIFULLY! It is sure one hell of a rom. But then, not too long after I had everything installed and running the way I wanted it to, it had the same errors as before.

I don't know how to explain the error other than the phone just generally messing up. I don't recall it ever having those issues on stock, but then again, it wasn't my phone on stock, and the first thing I did upon receiving it was put a custom rom on it.

But the error can only be explained as a general f***-up of the entire OS. Commands run brutally slow (I will launch the flashlight and it wont turn on until seconds, even minutes later. Alternatively, text messages take eons to send and receive, which I am positive is not an error on the AT&T side of things). Then, whenever I try to download or install an app from the play store, the application will download partially and then stall for what feels like eons. Some of the applications just stop there, and some I will find installed on the device some 30 minutes later. Not to mention that the signal icons on the quick setting tiles are all turned orange for some bizarre reason. Another bizarre issue is that no matter what, I can never launch the terminal to execute an htop, logcat, or anything! The terminal just stalls and eventually crashes, while it worked fine before.

I've checked online for errors similar to this, but haven't found anything that has helped the phone. Anyone out there who is willing to give this a crack or just point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by benhofb; 6th July 2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: additional info
7th July 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,706

3,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhofb

((if this is in the wrong place or has been covered before, I apologize...))

Hello all.

I just became the new owner of a family member's Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T). Already owning and tinkering with two xperia Ion's I wanted to have a little more freedom and experience Kitkat on the GS3.

I had no experience in unlocked bootloaders and all that, so I figured that I would let the Cyanogenmod Auto-Installer do the work for me and install CM11 on my device.

It worked great initially! No problems whatsoever aside from minor glitches here and there. As soon as I started installing some more apps and Xposed modules, I noticed that things were getting odd.

Eventually, my phone wouldn't connect to google's play services whatsoever. Despite countless resets of the phone itself and my modem/router, nothing seemed to help. Flushing the cache and dalvik didn't help either, nor did a factory reset. The issue kept coming back.

Thinking that perhaps another rom wouldn't have the problem, I installed C-Rom (which was based on 4.4.4 KK). It ran BEAUTIFULLY! It is sure one hell of a rom. But then, not too long after I had everything installed and running the way I wanted it to, it had the same errors as before.

I don't know how to explain the error other than the phone just generally messing up. I don't recall it ever having those issues on stock, but then again, it wasn't my phone on stock, and the first thing I did upon receiving it was put a custom rom on it.

But the error can only be explained as a general f***-up of the entire OS. Commands run brutally slow (I will launch the flashlight and it wont turn on until seconds, even minutes later. Alternatively, text messages take eons to send and receive, which I am positive is not an error on the AT&T side of things). Then, whenever I try to download or install an app from the play store, the application will download partially and then stall for what feels like eons. Some of the applications just stop there, and some I will find installed on the device some 30 minutes later. Not to mention that the signal icons on the quick setting tiles are all turned orange for some bizarre reason. Another bizarre issue is that no matter what, I can never launch the terminal to execute an htop, logcat, or anything! The terminal just stalls and eventually crashes, while it worked fine before.

I've checked online for errors similar to this, but haven't found anything that has helped the phone. Anyone out there who is willing to give this a crack or just point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you're the modules you're installing are crashing your system. I'd suggest you do a clean flash of w/e rom you wanna rush (you seem to like C-rom) and run it clean for a few days. You can install apps and such but don't restore system apps and don't install modules.

If it runs fine after a few days, you can cherry-pick the modules you wanna use (make sure they're made for the sammy phones). Install one or two, test for a couple days and so on. You'll eventually find which one is messing with your system (if that's actually what's causing the problems).
10th July 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
More
All seems to be well now. I've isolated the problematic app after slowly restoring all my app data one at a time. I have since moved to a different rom (SOKP) and everything is going running smoothly! Surprisingly, it wasn't Xposed causing the issue, but a market app that displays system info similar to conky on Linux computers. Once I installed it, the system just crapped out. Signals dropped, the terminal froze, and none of my apps seemed to work properly. But once I uninstalled the app and reset my phone, all was well.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread