Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

IMEI of the Software VS IMEI on the back of the phone

OP choiyt317

31st August 2014, 07:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto/Hamilton
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
Hi,
I've bought a samsung galaxy S3 Red version on kijiji (Canada) and realized that the IMEI of the software is different from the IMEI on the back of the phone.
I've checked the IMEI blacklist to see if any of those IMEI is blacklisted, but seems like both are fine.

I've tried using EFS Pro method without a luck.
I also tried doing NVreader-Writer to change it manually with no luck.

I was wondering if one of you guys can give me some help regards to this.

Let me know guys.

Thanks alot in advance!
31st August 2014, 09:50 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,395

9,095 posts
Donate to Me
More
Personally, i dont think you should be doing anything to the IMEI at this point. Obviously someone changed something along the way. Since both IMEI's appear to be good, theres a good chance someone replaced the motherboard at some point. If this is the case, write the IMEI down! TWICE! Keep it safe where you will not lose it.

If it was a motherboard replacement, DO NOT try to change or otherwise mess with the IMEI! Replacing it with anything but what belongs to that board is asking for problems.

If the mobo is original and the IMEI was changed for some reason, it might be a good idea to change back....maybe! But this doesnt make any sense if the original is still good. If you do somehow verify it was changed, i would wait before doing anything. Someone could wait another month or two and report it lost or stolen. It happens all the time! And then the IMEI would get blacklisted.

I think you should contact the seller and find out what is really going on. But regardless of the answers you may or may not get, do not change anything yet.

If its working fine right now, just leave it as it is. Messing with the NV Data is not to be taken lightly. Its not simple stuff like flashing roms. Make a mistake and it could cause irreparable harm to the device.

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

Oh, and there are several blacklists out there. Just because it isnt on one, doesnt mean it cant be on another. Check on swappa, but definately call the carrier the device originally came from. Ask if it is able to be activated on any network including theirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto/Hamilton

10 posts
More
Hey, Thank you for your reply!

I just wanted to add in some story.

I've bought this about 1.5 months ago, and IMEI of the phone is fine(*) according to swappa, imei.info, and protectyourdata.ca.
Also, The software IMEI of the phone (according to imei.info) belongs to a samsung WAVE II and the original IMEI on the back of the phone belongs to the samsung galaxy s3.

I've contacted the seller when I first got it, this guy was fishy as ever and sounded like he was making sh1t up.

P.S swappa IMEI check came clean and my carrier does not support the IMEI.
Last edited by choiyt317; 31st August 2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo (*)
31st August 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,095 posts
Donate to Me
More
What do you mean they dont support the imei? If its an I747, youd have to ask ATT about it.

The thing that bugs me is why would they have changed the imei in the first place if the original was still good? Makes me very suspicious tbh. I wouldnt try changing it for a while, if ever. As i said before, they could be planning to wait a few weeks and then report it lost or stolen.
2nd September 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto/Hamilton

10 posts
More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

What do you mean they dont support the imei? If its an I747, youd have to ask ATT about it.

The thing that bugs me is why would they have changed the imei in the first place if the original was still good? Makes me very suspicious tbh. I wouldnt try changing it for a while, if ever. As i said before, they could be planning to wait a few weeks and then report it lost or stolen.

No idea as why the seller would do so, but IMEI of the phone, Samsung galaxy wave II does not work with the Virginmobile Canada that I'm currently using. Should I get it fixed by a people who changes IMEI of the phone?
Just to be on the sure side, how do i check if the phone (sgs3 i747M) is carrier unlocked?

Thanks DocHoliday!
2nd September 2014, 09:58 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,095 posts
Donate to Me
More
If its locked it will ask for an unlock code when you put a different carriers SIM in. I don't know how the different imei would affect this though because any unlock codes would be created using the imei.
I can try to help you change it back to the original if you like. But I make no guarantees. If it ends up being blacklisted you'll be out of luck. Changing from the original imei is called cloning and 99% of the time is highly illegal. It is the reason it is so hard to find out how to do and why we are not allowed to discuss it in public forums. Its also one reason why I will be unable to help you change it back. Also, The software and the device will reject the change unless done with special equipment I'm told.
So if you decide you still want to go through with that, you can PM me. Itll at least save you a lot of money for this part. Please include the details and a link to this thread so I don't have to come back and search for it again though. I fix tons of lost imei problems and it can get confusing without having the background included in the PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread