Bootloop into TWRP recovery

OP southernblonde

23rd August 2014, 03:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach
Thanks Meter: 6

80 posts
More
I flashed Slimkat 4.4.4 a couple weeks ago and don't like it so I attempted to change it to AOSP tonight and I wiped the cache, partition, formatted the system and attempted to flash the rom and got a "fail" sign. Now when I reboot from TWRP menu, it keeps going back into TWRP recovery, after I see the Samsung and Slimkat words on my phone. I tried rebooting into system, keeps going back into recovery. I was going to attempt to reflash Slimkat but now my laptop won't recognize my phone. I saw where someone pulled the battery out and it just booted into recovery. Please help me and thank you in advance.
Last edited by southernblonde; 23rd August 2014 at 04:59 AM.
23rd August 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,469

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is why you should never manually format your /system partition. If your rom flash fails, you have no OS to boot into. I really dont know why so many people still say to do this.

You need to either use Odin to flash your firmware, or download another rom (or your previous one) and flash it from TWRP. Youll have to plug your external SD Card into your computer and copy it to there, then put the card back in and flash.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 05:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach

80 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

This is why you should never manually format your /system partition. If your rom flash fails, you have no OS to boot into. I really dont know why so many people still say to do this.

You need to either use Odin to flash your firmware, or download another rom (or your previous one) and flash it from TWRP. Youll have to plug your external SD Card into your computer and copy it to there, then put the card back in and flash.

Lesson learned. I really don't know who to listen to, I should have just left it alone like a good girl. But I really did not like Slimkat. My laptop is not recognizing my phone through usb. Would Odin recognize it if I put it in download mode?
23rd August 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Its worth a try I think. But otherwise do you have a way to plug your sd card into the computer? You could copy a rom to flash im recovery that way.
If not youll probably need to try installing different drivers. You can get plenty to try from the link in my sig.

I usually say to just follow the instructions in the OP of what you are trying to flash. If they tell you to format system, I would ignore that part unless they have a good explanation for why.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach

80 posts
More
Quote:

Its worth a try I think. But otherwise do you have a way to plug your sd card into the computer? You could copy a rom to flash im recovery that way.
If not youll probably need to try installing different drivers. You can get plenty to try from the link in my sig.

I usually say to just follow the instructions in the OP of what you are trying to flash. If they tell you to format system, I would ignore that part unless they have a good explanation for why.

I'm guessing the only other way to plug an sd card into my computer is to stick the card in another phone? Meanwhile I will try to install drivers and get my computer to recognize my phone.
23rd August 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
You can usually find an adapter for a few bucks online or at places like wal mart. Sorry. Was just assuming you had one. Without it, yes youll have to try different drivers or find another way to get it going via one of the two methods I mentioned.
When trying different drivers, just installing the package doesn't always do the job. You should go into device manager and manually select update drivers, then browse to the folder in Program Files and choose it there.
When you plug in now, does it at least detect it? Are you trying while in Download Mode?
23rd August 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach

80 posts
More
Quote:

You can usually find an adapter for a few bucks online or at places like wal mart. Sorry. Was just assuming you had one. Without it, yes youll have to try different drivers or find another way to get it going via one of the two methods I mentioned.
When trying different drivers, just installing the package doesn't always do the job. You should go into device manager and manually select update drivers, then browse to the folder in Program Files and choose it there.
When you plug in now, does it at least detect it? Are you trying while in Download Mode?

I tried putting my SD card into my daughters phone which is a Samsung but different model and I thought I put the old Slimkat rom what looked to be the extsdcard folder but when I went to recovery to install the rom I saw the corrupt rom I attempted to install last night. When I went to device manager to manually update the drivers, the computer recognizes my phone but said that the drivers couldn't be installed. Maybe I'm getting confused with this TWRP recovery I'm not familiar with. It has an install feature, so I tried to flash the rom last night using that. Did I screw up?

Ok....I finally managed to get the files onto my SD card. I attempted to install the Slim rom (the one that's been on my phone the last couple weeks) and heres the message I get:

Format and Mount System, Mount Data.....
Symlinks and permissions....
set_metadata-recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip ' /extern
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/Slim-d2lte-4.4.
Updating partition details....
FAILED
Last edited by southernblonde; 23rd August 2014 at 05:48 PM.
23rd August 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
What version of TWRP are you using? You could try flashing CWM or Philz recoveries and try the rom again. If you still get flashing errors you may have to find a way to get Odin to work.

Try uninstalling drivers from device manager. Then with the phone unplugged, reinstall the driver package. Plug phone back in and hopefully itll automatically install the drivers and work.
And have you tried connecting while booted to Download Mode?
23rd August 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach

80 posts
More
Quote:

What version of TWRP are you using? You could try flashing CWM or Philz recoveries and try the rom again. If you still get flashing errors you may have to find a way to get Odin to work.

Try uninstalling drivers from device manager. Then with the phone unplugged, reinstall the driver package. Plug phone back in and hopefully itll automatically install the drivers and work.
And have you tried connecting while booted to Download Mode?

I'm using TWRP 2.6.3.0. Ok friggin awesome...I rebooted it into download mode and the computer recognizes my phone.
23rd August 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
You might need an updated recovery to flash that rom. Latest TWRP is 2.7.1.0.

But since you can connect in Download Mode you can flash your firmware via Odin...hopefully.

If you have the I747, it depends on if you have ever updated via ota. If so, do you remember if you had updated to 4.3 or 4.4.2?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread