Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Saltwater damage

OP ronedogg

21st July 2014, 10:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

300 posts
I fell in the water with my phone. Salt water at that. Once I came to, my phone had a blinking light coming from the camera flash. I took battery out and let dry. Today I got up, took phone completely apart, cleaned with contact cleaner. Was ALOT of salt inside the phone. Anyways I got it cleaned up as best I could, pretty clean. Let dry again for a few hours.

Its back together now, turns on. Screen goes all crazy, pink and fuzzy. Pulsing blue led on front for about 10 seconds. Then nothing. Tried USB to PC nothing.

I found these phone don't come fully apart. I can take out main board, camera and a few plastic parts. But that's it. Lots of phone to take apart but no guides past this point and all the teardowns bring me to the same point.

Any ideas? Maybe bath the screen and what left for electrical components in alcohol?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
21st July 2014, 10:02 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

300 posts
Can a mod move this to galaxy s3 i747 section? My bad

22nd July 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Sea water messes up components, think you should consider a new phone
22nd July 2014, 07:15 AM   |  #4  
Flag stilwell, OK
Thanks Meter: 221

1,123 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yea bro I'm gunna say that trying to fix it is more money and effort then just buying a new one
22nd July 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

300 posts
I already bought a new phone. Got another i747m. $400 didn't wanna mess with used phones again, last 3 used phones all ended up having an issue one way or another. Save a few bucks gain a few headaches.

Thanks for confirming what I thought though.

I am going to investigate fixing the phone. Still.
I got it to boot more now, pulsing boot led, vol buttons make a sound when I press them. I used my multimeter to test most of the connections. Everything I could check is fine. I think there is more salt behind the screen and behind the 2 small PCB chips that I couldn't get off. Going to try excessive force this time. Nothing to loose.

Is it safe to use the battery still? Its not swollen or nothing. Or should I not bother being as the water mark on the battery is pink?

22nd July 2014, 03:37 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,706

3,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronedogg

I already bought a new phone. Got another i747m. $400 didn't wanna mess with used phones again, last 3 used phones all ended up having an issue one way or another. Save a few bucks gain a few headaches.

Thanks for confirming what I thought though.

I am going to investigate fixing the phone. Still.
I got it to boot more now, pulsing boot led, vol buttons make a sound when I press them. I used my multimeter to test most of the connections. Everything I could check is fine. I think there is more salt behind the screen and behind the 2 small PCB chips that I couldn't get off. Going to try excessive force this time. Nothing to loose.

Is it safe to use the battery still? Its not swollen or nothing. Or should I not bother being as the water mark on the battery is pink?

The battery *should* be fine for a while. I've used a water damaged one for the longest time but it did spend a couple days in a bag of rice.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWolf56 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread