Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Super Sluggish: 4.4.2 or Root?

Tip us?

TNAR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Super Sluggish: 4.4.2 or Root?

Long story made short, I upgraded to 4.3 after switching over to AT&T and fell quickly in love with the selective privacy app. However, my battery would only last about fifteen seconds (exaggeration) so I upgraded again to 4.4.2 without performing due diligence. As you all well know, Google took away the privacy app. So I took the next logical step and rooted my phone (TowelRoot rocks!) and added xPrivacy.

My problem now is an extremely sluggish phone. Would this be due to the upgrade (4.4.2) or the root process? Would it make more sense to downgrade or flash a custom ROM?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,056

DONATE TO ME
Root should have no effect on performance at all. Its more likely that there is some data from a previous build causing a process to hang.
I would factory reset and start over clean. Only restore essential data.

You can also use Better Battery Stats. Find it here on xda. Great app for solving battery problems.

TNAR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Root should have no effect on performance at all. Its more likely that there is some data from a previous build causing a process to hang.
I would factory reset and start over clean. Only restore essential data.

You can also use Better Battery Stats. Find it here on xda. Great app for solving battery problems.
I think I can't see the forest for all the trees. Is a factory reset done through the phone itself? (i.e. Settings->Accounts->Backup and reset->Factory data reset) Or are you referring to finding the proper ROM and flashing through Odin?

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
I think I can't see the forest for all the trees. Is a factory reset done through the phone itself? (i.e. Settings->Accounts->Backup and reset->Factory data reset) Or are you referring to finding the proper ROM and flashing through Odin?
You can do a wipe of the cache and data via recovery. Factory reset via the phone should work too.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,056

DONATE TO ME
Factory resetting from Settings actually just reboots recovery and performs it from there. So doing it either way will net the same result. And yes, thats the factory reset I was referring to.

Note, if stock recovery is on the device, factory reset formats the data partition, so ALL apps and data are wiped. If custom recovery is installed, it instead will selectively delete everything but your Internal SD Card, preserving any data you have stored there. Either way, always have a current backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]