Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 40,111 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tried rooting using Towelroot and chainfire but no joy

Tip us?

amti366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Tried rooting using Towelroot and chainfire but no joy

Hi Guys,

I am having some issues trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S3. I am currently running the stock Kitkat version of AT&T on my S3(SGH-I747) and trying to root it to be able to install CWM and a custom rom.

I have tried chainfire and towelroot methods.

I used the following tutorial of using ODIN and chainfire image for samsung SGH-I747:youtube.com/watch?v=LwsvPO8jVGE
I was able to get all steps to work and get everything same as the video above except when I install "Root Checker" from android play store it gave me message that "Root method is not properly configured" even after odin showed "Success" after rebooting and applying the patch

I then used the towelroot method by going to the towelroot.eu website on my phone and installing the apk. the towelroot app gave me the message that "I have root and do not need to reboot my device" but Root checker still says that my root is not configured.

I then reset my phone by pressing volume up+power and home button and clearing "Cache" and wiping data" and trying the above methods again but still unable to get the phone to root.

I am completely stumped as to what I am doing wrong. And would really appreciate some help from the pros.I have attached a snapshot of my device info and thanks for the great work and guidance.

Matt

PS. I already made sure that my phone is in the "Developer Mode" and "USB debugging" is enabled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140830_175306.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (205.3 KB, 29 views)

amti366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default tried another method

Also tried using the casual method but that also failed with the error "Unsupported device" here is the url for the log file:http://pastebin.com/vZRvYH3g

I followed the follwowing thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2189536

Quote:
Originally Posted by amti366 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am having some issues trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S3. I am currently running the stock Kitkat version of AT&T on my S3(SGH-I747) and trying to root it to be able to install CWM and a custom rom.

I have tried chainfire and towelroot methods.

I used the following tutorial of using ODIN and chainfire image for samsung SGH-I747:youtube.com/watch?v=LwsvPO8jVGE
I was able to get all steps to work and get everything same as the video above except when I install "Root Checker" from android play store it gave me message that "Root method is not properly configured" even after odin showed "Success" after rebooting and applying the patch

I then used the towelroot method by going to the towelroot.eu website on my phone and installing the apk. the towelroot app gave me the message that "I have root and do not need to reboot my device" but Root checker still says that my root is not configured.

I then reset my phone by pressing volume up+power and home button and clearing "Cache" and wiping data" and trying the above methods again but still unable to get the phone to root.

I am completely stumped as to what I am doing wrong. And would really appreciate some help from the pros.I have attached a snapshot of my device info and thanks for the great work and guidance.

Matt

PS. I already made sure that my phone is in the "Developer Mode" and "USB debugging" is enabled
The Following User Says Thank You to amti366 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,017

DONATE TO ME
After rooting with Towelroot you have to install SuperSU from the store. Then open and let it update its binary.
You dont need root to get cwm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amti366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
After rooting with Towelroot you have to install SuperSU from the store. Then open and let it update its binary.
You dont need root to get cwm.
Hi Doc, I was able to follow one of your other treads at "http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-att/help/att-bricked-s3-help-please-t2817566/page2" and install TWRP. I think my issue was that the firmware had got upgraded to the NE4 and I was not flashing the correct bootloaders.

I do have one more question and I am not sure if it is a ROM related issue or a phone setting. I will understand if you think I should ask in the ROM thread. I flashed CM11 on the phone after installing TWRP and rooting with superSu. I noticed that the led buttons on the bottom of the phone are disabled(the back and the setting buttons) do you know if this is a changeable setting(pic attached)? I would hate to loose the screen-space at the bottom to the buttons and even though that's standard Kitkat layout I wont mind being able to use the phone led buttons to go back and change settings.

I installled the follwoing version of cm11: cm-11-20140805-SNAPSHOT-M9-d2lte.zip from (http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d2lte)

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cm-11-20140805-SNAPSHOT-M9-d2lte.zip.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (137.6 KB, 21 views)

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,017

DONATE TO ME
Im not sure about that one. I don't use CM so im not very familiar with all of its different settings. Someone else may have the answer for you though. If not, then ask in the rom thread like you mentioned.