Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 48,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrade procedure from rooted 4.1.2

Tip us?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5210

DONATE TO ME
I would steer clear of the toolkit. Follow enewman17's how to update thread in the General section. Seems to have a pretty good success rate.

franzrocamolina
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default get KK 4.4.2 in your AT&T SG3 without OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWolf56 View Post
Unlock is "permanent". You shouldn't lose root but everything you do is at your own risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahse View Post
My AT&T SG3 was rooted until yesterday with stock 4.1.1. I unrooted, re flashed stock image and stock recovery. The phone status says "Normal" now so I think I successfully unrooted. When I try to do the OTA after downloading, it goes to a screen which says installing then updating with an incremental percent counter. When it reaches about 29%, it just reboots and comes back with "Install Interrupted The software update could not be installed". When I do "adb reboot recovery" from a command window, I see a dead android with a red triangle and I assume that has something to do with it or is some kind of symptom. Is there anything I can do to get the latest stock image installed? Did I miss something in the unroot process?

SGH-I747 4.1.1 1747UCDLK3

I did the same than you and also what n01un0 says but couldn't get OTA update to 4.3 or 4.4.2.

If you want the 4.4.2 in your S3, follow enewman17's http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2789917 Thread.

It worked perfect for me from 4.1.2 stock to 4.4.2. The final result is the same that you get by OTA (if OTA works)

hannahse
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default unrooted 4.1.1 won't update dead android - solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahse View Post
My AT&T SG3 was rooted until yesterday with stock 4.1.1. I unrooted, re flashed stock image and stock recovery. The phone status says "Normal" now so I think I successfully unrooted. When I try to do the OTA after downloading, it goes to a screen which says installing then updating with an incremental percent counter. When it reaches about 29%, it just reboots and comes back with "Install Interrupted The software update could not be installed". When I do "adb reboot recovery" from a command window, I see a dead android with a red triangle and I assume that has something to do with it or is some kind of symptom. Is there anything I can do to get the latest stock image installed? Did I miss something in the unroot process?

SGH-I747 4.1.1 1747UCDLK3
I solved my problem by a convoluted process that I could not recommend but will lay out as best I can in case anyone is that desperate. I had re-rooted and un-rooted a couple times since my last post and finally decided to try a different stock image. I found a link to one in an article
how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s3-sgh-i747 (sorry - not allowed to post URL)
The link is to stockroms.net. Really slow download - it took a couple hours. After the download (and unzip),
I attached my unrooted phone via USB cable to my computer.
Installed it with ODIN and watched the phone reboot
It seem to get stuck on the Samsung splash screen.
I went into recovery mode and noticed that - at last - I did not have the red triangle and no dead android. I tried wiping the cache a couple times from the recovery screen but it still seemed to get stuck at the splash screen (not sure if I waited long enough).
I finally did the factory reset from the recovery and it finally came back to life and went through the whole initialization thing. I confirmed a couple times that the red triangle was gone and noted that I had gone from Android version 4.1.1 to 4.04. Maybe that was the key or maybe I had a bad stock version of 4.1.1. IDK. But I started going through a series of updates. I am currently at version 4.3 and downloading what I hope will be the last update.

Started with 4.1.1 and used outdated stock image to go back to
4.04 - small update but version still
4.04 - cleared data from AT&T Update App to get around the wait 24 hours - got the update installed to version
4.1.2 - checked for update and got upgraded to
4.3 - check for update wanted me to wait 24 hours and I could not see how to clear the data - so changed the phone's date to next day. Automatically started downloading a new update - I'm hoping its the last
Tags
4.1.2, 4.4, upgrade