Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,883 Members 41,670 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting S3 Mini on stock 4.4.2

Tip us?

nav13eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Rooting S3 Mini on stock 4.4.2

I have just recently updated my S3 Mini SM-G730W8 to the Stock KitKat 4.4.2 firmware and I'm wondering if anyone one knows of a quick and easy way to root the phone. I know when previously running 4.2.2 Stock firmware the boot loader was locked so custom recoveries/ROMs weren't possible. Is anyone aware if this has changed with the new stock ROM? Is the boot loader unlocked now?

nav13eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Just a quick update;

I was able to root the phone running the new firmware by using and app called towlroot, which can be downloaded on towlroot's website. It is very easy and just one button click.

As far as the bootloader goes, it appears that it is unlocked. In the past while running the stock 4.2.2 firmware, whenever I tried to flash a custom recovery through odin, the recovery would not boot and instead enter boot-loop. Now that has changed. It does not enter a boot loop, but instead doesn't load the recovery at all, or loads a dysfunctional bugged version. I have limited experience, but that tells me that the boot loader is no longer locked. My issue still pertains that I cannot find a custom recovery version made for my device that actually works.