Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,527 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Boost Mobile Prepaid Galaxy S3 "SPH-L710T". Can it be rooted or not?

Tip us?

deadeyesystems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Boost Mobile Prepaid Galaxy S3 "SPH-L710T". Can it be rooted or not?

Hi everyone,

First, I am sorry that I am posting on a topic that I am sure is all over the forums. It is just I cannot find what I need and I need help.
Can the Galaxy S3 from Boost Mobile on a prepaid plan be rooted or not? This is the exact Model # "SPH-L710T". If not i get it, but if so would someone please give me a hand?

Can i get a step by step on the Tools I would need to do this and also advice on a custom ROM to load if that is possible? I am using Linux Mint 17 for a OS at the moment. I am technically inclined for the most part. I am a Network Technician and have rooted a handful of other phones in the past. Favorite being my first. Vibrant with Team Whiskey ROM few years ago.

I would use mobile ODIN if that is possible. I am all about doing everything I can directly from the phone.

Thank you in advance for any help i can get.

6th_Hokage
Old
(Last edited by 6th_Hokage; 11th September 2014 at 11:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyesystems View Post
Hi everyone,

First, I am sorry that I am posting on a topic that I am sure is all over the forums. It is just I cannot find what I need and I need help.
Can the Galaxy S3 from Boost Mobile on a prepaid plan be rooted or not? This is the exact Model # "SPH-L710T". If not i get it, but if so would someone please give me a hand?

Thank you in advance for any help i can get.
when did you buy the s3 from boost mobile? i work at selling and activating them and i have one my self and they all have the model # SPH-L710 with out the "T", now seeing as your with boost that would mean you're on Kit-Kat 4.4.2 aka NDC now if you can't manage to root it on NDC i would suggest PC Odin Flashing the Stock ND8 rom that will erase everything on your phone and then trying the same root methods you have tried on NDC on the ND8 4.4.2 rom

PS. Don't use Mobile Odin for flashing Stock.tar files and since your running Linux/Ubuntu i would say set up a virtual machine with Windows 7-8.1 then using Odin on the Virtual Windows on your Linux OS
YouTube Channel

my work:

Custom Splash Screen Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile s3 Touchwiz Roms and some AOSP Roms

sorta my work :P Viper4Andriod S3 APP and Settings

and helping with Flappy Bird's Family

current phone:
Samsung Galaxy S3,Wicked X v7.2 ND8 with NDC Modem

Past phones: latest to oldest
Galaxy Infuse 4G
Galaxy S 4G 3rd time
myTouch 3G slide
Galaxy S 4G 2nd time
T-mobile myTouch
Galaxy S 4G
Sensation 4G
Moto Backflip

deadeyesystems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I just bought this phone few days ago. 9/9/14

Samsung Galaxy S3
MODEL: SPH-L710T
ANDROID VER: 4.4.2
SOFTWARE VER: L710TVPU0ANF4
HARWARE VER: L710T.03
BASEBAND VER: L710TVPU0ANF4
KERNEL VER: 3.4.0-1683363
BUILD NUMBER: KOT49H.L710TVPU0ANF4

SE for Android Status
Enforcing

I have not attempted any flashing at all. Also there is an Odin I believe for Linux. I had thought I used something similar because I rooted the Galaxy S2 Tmobile Prepaid phone I had last.

6th_Hokage
Old
(Last edited by 6th_Hokage; 12th September 2014 at 12:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 481
Quote:
I just bought this phone few days ago. 9/9/14

Samsung Galaxy S3
MODEL: SPH-L710T
ANDROID VER: 4.4.2
SOFTWARE VER: L710TVPU0ANF4
HARWARE VER: L710T.03
BASEBAND VER: L710TVPU0ANF4
KERNEL VER: 3.4.0-1683363
BUILD NUMBER: KOT49H.L710TVPU0ANF4

SE for Android Status
Enforcing

I have not attempted any flashing at all. Also there is an Odin I believe for Linux. I had thought I used something similar because I rooted the Galaxy S2 Tmobile Prepaid phone I had last.
here is a link to the specs

by the wording use in the Detailed review it seems to be a newer version of the S3 that boost have that comes with 4.3 instead of 4.1.2 and it turns out mine was also one of these "updated" models even though on the back of the Phone it doesn't show the "T" now i would suggest flashing Philz Recovery in Odin that has an Option to root the Stock Rom that your on....

and the SPH-L710 came out in July 2012 and the SPH-L710T came out on May of this year....
YouTube Channel

my work:

Custom Splash Screen Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile s3 Touchwiz Roms and some AOSP Roms

current phone:

Galaxy Infuse 4G
Galaxy S 4G 3rd time
myTouch 3G slide
Galaxy S 4G 2nd time
T-mobile myTouch
Galaxy S 4G
Sensation 4G
Moto Backflip

deadeyesystems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Can you give me links and a brief run down on what to do please? A little unsure about this since the model is so new and not many it seems like have done anything with it. Im thinking i just want to root but if a ROM that works is out i might go for it after a backup. I have ROM manager premium also just so you know to handle that.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using XDA Free mobile app

6th_Hokage
Old
Thanks Meter 481
Quote:
Can you give me links and a brief run down on what to do please? A little unsure about this since the model is so new and not many it seems like have done anything with it. Im thinking i just want to root but if a ROM that works is out i might go for it after a backup. I have ROM manager premium also just so you know to handle that.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using XDA Free mobile app
well before when i had NDC i used TowelRoot to root it and that worked but there are some with even newer s3's from boost have reported it not to work mind you i got this one like 2-3 months after boost made it so the 4.4.2 that you have might be tighter locked up with Knox....but here is the link to Philz Recovery this one is made for all US s3 variants so this might work to get you root if anything it will work to help you flash a pre-rooted rom if that's what you'll want instead. and just read through the link that i posted to know what to do to flash it
YouTube Channel

my work:

current phone:

Galaxy Infuse 4G
Galaxy S 4G 3rd time
myTouch 3G slide
Galaxy S 4G 2nd time
T-mobile myTouch
Galaxy S 4G
Sensation 4G